British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Is it a sovereign? 

7 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Is it a sovereign? 

I don't know, I choose not to can't afford to collect 'em. :rolleyes:

But the monarch doesn't match the year...

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 1

I would say that if the date is 1701 it is a gaming token, if 1791 it could be a guinea or half, without checking comparative sizes. But not my field either way.

Jerry

Surely has to be a gaming token with the date not matching the portrait? Maybe a better strike than usual, but still just a token.

Well it's definitely 1701. I can't help thinking that both the obverse and reverse look ok. Which would mean they're images from different coins. I suspect you'd be sent a gaming token that doesn't closely resemble either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Well it's definitely 1701. I can't help thinking that both the obverse and reverse look ok. Which would mean they're images from different coins. I suspect you'd be sent a gaming token that doesn't closely resemble either.

The reverse is (more or less) that of a late C18 guinea or half, and could not be 1701 , which is why I queried 1791 as the 9 and 0 are not dissimilar overall outline. 

But a better quality gaming token remains most likely, I think you would get what is shown.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jelida said:

But a better quality gaming token remains most likely, I think you would get what is shown.

Jerry

You're probably right Jerry, although it's the first one I've ever seen that had a convincing portrait. :)

Definitely a gaming token IMO.

The tokens weigh half of the real item.

Issued between 1878-1881, the reverse reads:

G.Y.L.ET.F.G.REX.S.UF.ST.DST.M. ET 1701

G (eorge) Y (orke) L (liffe) AND F (rederick) G (ardner) [ REX] SU F (folk) ST D (ie) S (inkers) T (ool) M (akers) AND 1701  

George Yorke Lliffe AND Frederick Gardner

Diesinkers etc

96 Suffolk Street

Birmingham

Available as a Guinea or half guinea, 1790 & 1791 can also be found. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

Issued between 1878-1881, the reverse reads:

G.Y.L.ET.F.G.REX.S.UF.ST.DST.M. ET 1701

G (eorge) Y (orke) L (liffe) AND F (rederick) G (ardner) [ REX] SU F (folk) ST D (ie) S (inkers) T (ool) M (akers) AND 1701  

George Yorke Lliffe AND Frederick Gardner

Diesinkers etc

96 Suffolk Street

Birmingham

Available as a Guinea or half guinea, 1790 & 1791 can also be found. 

Thanks bagerap. It all becomes clear. :)

27 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Wonder if people just bid rather than donate direct as the coin is Rang and only worth 1p

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

I think they must dispose of the decent stuff somewhere else, pretty much all the coins they have at the mo are mingers or slingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I think they must dispose of the decent stuff somewhere else, pretty much all the coins they have at the mo are mingers or slingers.

I did voluntary work once in a charity shop. Some of the other volunteers and staff were like vultures rifling through bags for the good stuff and keeping it themselves to sell online.  I imagine it's commonplace in other charity shops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

another fake slab

looks like someone is about to get stung :( 

wow that's disgraceful. The check number doesn't exist which if you are going to spend the kind of money that coin is actually worth would it be genuine surely they would check the number first. And then question why the Letters in DOLLAR are different sizes and in the wrong font just as a starter . Not to mention the wipe over with a heated brillo pad lol :)

I am thinking the 9 bids are probably friends to stir up interest.?

Check out the rest of his offerings. 

2 hours ago, rpeddie said:

another fake slab

"Im not a coin collector ... i dont know anything about coins ..." translates to FAKE FAKE FAKE!

• Like 3

Ebay just gets spookier n spookier by the day. What will people trade / sell for a £. Have they no morals?  Probably dug up! What no provenance !  Good collectable condition with signs of wear! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Ancient-Artefacts-Tooth-Barb-Tanged-Flint-Arrow-Head-Scraper-A122/382411154514

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Todays fake seller, he has 9 gold coins all fake. he sold one for over £900 two weeks ago. I reported it and eBay did nothing. Shameful. Now he is thinking he is onto a good thing he is listing more

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pcgs-gold-coin-1912-scrap-gold-14-8G/142724483051?hash=item213b0ac7eb:g:hbQAAOSwC81aquAV

If he does know that all his ‘inheritance’ is fake, he must realise that he will get caught out eventually, yet he has used his business name as his EBay moniker; given that he comes from Rotherham, this is probably his Facebook page with address, if anybody is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/skyhightreeandgroundsmaintenaceservices/

At the current bid prices, he will have taken over £5000 by the end of these auctions.

He is either ignorant, or extremely stupid, or both. 

Jerry

Haha he has left his Facebook page open, so I kindly left him a message. Nice piece of investigating Jerry!!

50 minutes ago, markflorida said:

Todays fake seller, he has 9 gold coins all fake. he sold one for over £900 two weeks ago. I reported it and eBay did nothing. Shameful. Now he is thinking he is onto a good thing he is listing more

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pcgs-gold-coin-1912-scrap-gold-14-8G/142724483051?hash=item213b0ac7eb:g:hbQAAOSwC81aquAV

only 20 grams short on weight. Sorry but if people cannot be bothered to research something that's going to  cost them a best part of a £1000 they open themselves up to this kind of scam. Knowledge is power and safety to a certain degree but it at least prevents you from buying this sort of garbage. Fools to themselves on their heads be it. :(

• Like 1

This is what bugs me... :-<   I know it is very fairly priced... and I am tempted to buy it to fill a space in my date run...   but why spoil the sale by claiming this coin is VF...  it is so clearly poor or good ...   VG at a push for some. I don't mind buying it for £2, £3 or £4 even and it will fill a hole in the folder...  but to actually claim it is of VF condition   -  I cannot believe the seller here doesn't know that this coin is far from Fine let alone VF. The page advertises it as VF 4 or 5 times in the spiel.  Makes me very cynical. As I said - I might buy it anyway to fill a gap. I need 1852 also. The guy is either an idiot for thinking the grade VF or a con man for false advertising. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Victoria-Farthing-1851-VF-good-example-of-this-coin/142722984348?hash=item213af3e99c:g:ajMAAOSw8K5aqrm8

16 hours ago, rpeddie said:

another fake slab

I bought a fake gold coin thinking it was real because it was slabbed...   turned out to be the right weight if you included the weight of the slab as well....  I thought it might be a copy but was at least hoping for a 9c gold copy - it was clearly brass when I got it.  My fault for being greedy I think - it was a few years back - it was an extremely 5 sovereign at a half soveriegn price on a 1 day auction... If it had been real it would have been thousands. Lost 120 sobs there. :-(    I guess I should have reported it but it was years ago. :-(

• Like 2