British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Another one that mystifies me! I can't see anything special about it, unless I'm missing something?

360490069416 (link appreciated)

I think if you could sort out the bend then it would be quite a nice coin. The detail is good (VF or so, apart from maybe a few scratches). The problem being that it can be quite tricky straightening the things without leaving an obvious crease. But maybe someone feels confident?

Looks possible when viewed from the reverse, but I think that's deceptive! When viewing from the obverse that crease is so acute that even with heat it would probably leave an ugly big stress line! It also looks to me to have been struck across the bust (where's Peter?) a couple of times with an iron, it looks stepped, and deformed generally!

And what does the rest of that crown look like?

£85 last time I looked! Wow!

I've love to see the coin post treatment! :)

It cost him £129 to practice a bit O silversmithing! He'd better be good at arc welding! :D

1877 Victoria penny possible reverse-j freeman small date 0.66mm between 77 . narrow lighthouse and narrow neck. Wide date penny's have much smaller lighthouse and neck.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/webcatalogue/137/L1730r.jpg

What lighthouse?? :blink:

Neck, what neck? :blink:

DEFINITELY Reverse J - the commonest one for 1877 :D

As for his link, ERROR 403 Forbidden

Second time he's tried to flog this piece of junk. As you say Peckris, definitely reverse J (I think he meant to say "possibly reverse H"!).

Guess one has to be american to appreciate this :blink:

Indeed. And £200 for it. :o

This particular coin means nothing to me but, in relation to the discussion on ethics taking place in another thread, the seller's description is a model of honesty and that's to be applauded.

Ah .. makes me long for the old days. Once upon a time I picked up a few coins from Dolphin Coins. And looking back on the stock they had in their 'Double Sovereign' list there are some very nice coins, I wish I'd bought.

But now .. well, you just have to look at the grading. That is never extremely fine condition. And as for the other tat they are selling, well, it makes me sad. Oh, well. Times change ..

Ah .. makes me long for the old days. Once upon a time I picked up a few coins from Dolphin Coins. And looking back on the stock they had in their 'Double Sovereign' list there are some very nice coins, I wish I'd bought.

But now .. well, you just have to look at the grading. That is never extremely fine condition. And as for the other tat they are selling, well, it makes me sad. Oh, well. Times change ..

eBay grading for eBay buyers. The sad truth is that there are a lot of suckers out there, and as bad as you might feel about it, there is nothing you can do. It just means that the educated take note and move on, leaving an ever increasing proportion of sales of this nature to those who don't know any better - which leads to more listings of the same.........

Anyone else think this looks like a (rather poor, probably pewter-like white metal) cast?

$(KGrHqFHJEYFBknMSrEiBQZYkcML-!~~60_12.JPG

This dipped one from our friend in Truro is apparently AU

Anyone else think this looks like a (rather poor, probably pewter-like white metal) cast?

$(KGrHqFHJEYFBknMSrEiBQZYkcML-!~~60_12.JPG

No shadow of a doubt in my mind!

Is that Dolphin Coins trading under a different name? I didn't know that. I used to enjoy flicking through The Sovereign, which had some gorgeous coins for sale if only I could have afforded them!

Is that Dolphin Coins trading under a different name? I didn't know that. I used to enjoy flicking through The Sovereign, which had some gorgeous coins for sale if only I could have afforded them!

Yes, they became 'South East International Trading' a few years back and the outside of the shop looks more like a pawnbrokers. Bullion silver tat seems to be their mainstay now, in fact I don't know if they even stock coins any more ..

Well, it's a step up (just) from Trotter's International Trading.

Bizarre!

Thanks coppers! Us iPhoners, eh? ;)

Can I see a 'replica' stamp on the rim between the H and R of CHRISTO?

Does Safari on the iPhone not allow you to create links? You'll be telling me next it doesn't have tabbed browsing!

unbelievable.

these pewter collectors are keen

Bizarre!

Daniel Carr's stuff is actually pretty collectable. He's designed a couple of quarters for the US mint (Rhode Island and New York I believe) and acquired an old coinage press from the Denver Mint and has been producing coins of his own design on it and a lot of "what if" coins such as a 1964 Franklin Half Dollar, and a 1964-D Peace Dollar (the US mint struck some Peace Dollars in '64 but melted them all back down). They're high quality strikes over a coin from that period and while they often sell for more than what I think they're worth (I'd spend like... $2-3 over melt for them)

I must say I enjoy his parody state quarters!

http://www.dc-coin.com/parodystatequartersetc.aspx

It's a close call, but

unc :o