Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

"Well" or "So" to start a reply to someone...

Recommended Posts

I've noticed over the last 4 or 5 years, that more and more people are prefacing replies to questions with the word "So", whereas traditionally, it's always been "Well".

This was really brought home to me recently when we had a talk at work from someone, and in the Q & A afterwards she used "So" to preface every reply to a question - but conversely, when I listened to an online recording of a similar briefing from the same individual in 2013, she prefaced every reply with "well" or some other word. So it's clearly a deliberate change.

Anybody got any theories as to where this has suddenly sprung up from, and why? Also, what do you use? 

I tend to use "well" as it's what I was brought up with. I do use "so", but as a starter to a topic, rather than a reply to a question, as in "So anyway, I did my shopping this morning, and then had a nice dinner".

Maybe many haven't even noticed this, but as someone who is interested in the nuances of language, it's definitely caught my ear, since it started more widely in about 2015. 

I might start using "well so" as a reply to questions, as a sop to linguistic diversity B) - see if anybody comments on it !

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I find the tendency to start almost every sentence with "So..." rather annoying. If you watch Pointless on BBC 1 (as I do) you will see most of the younger contestants doing it all the time - even those with literary qualifications or occupations.

For me it goes in the same category as "very unique" and "very real".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to US Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren starting most of her responses with "so", was one of the most annoying speaking habits to which I've been exposed.

I've always felt that the use of "so", or "well", was superfluous and annoying and indicative of poor public speaking training and habit.  I've nothing against its occasional use, however it's consistent usage makes it, to me, a point of caricature.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've noticed over the last 4 or 5 years, that more and more people are prefacing replies to questions with the word "So", whereas traditionally, it's always been "Well".

This was really brought home to me recently when we had a talk at work from someone, and in the Q & A afterwards she used "So" to preface every reply to a question - but conversely, when I listened to an online recording of a similar briefing from the same individual in 2013, she prefaced every reply with "well" or some other word. So it's clearly a deliberate change.

Anybody got any theories as to where this has suddenly sprung up from, and why? Also, what do you use? 

I tend to use "well" as it's what I was brought up with. I do use "so", but as a starter to a topic, rather than a reply to a question, as in "So anyway, I did my shopping this morning, and then had a nice dinner".

Maybe many haven't even noticed this, but as someone who is interested in the nuances of language, it's definitely caught my ear, since it started more widely in about 2015. 

I might start using "well so" as a reply to questions, as a sop to linguistic diversity B) - see if anybody comments on it !

 

 

I have a lady friend who starts every sentence with "Well anyway", and it drives me crazy. I have mentioned it to her, but she continues.........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost everyone on "The Chase" this week seemed to start every sentence with "So" - I literally exploded with anger (but they managed to so me back up again).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume it is all the latest incarnation of "like" and "you know", and to me indicates a similar lack of literacy. Our modern education system seems to treat any attempt at good grammar or spelling as snobbishness.

Is it only in this country that being badly educated, or at least giving that impression, is deemed something of which to be proud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my 3 boys were all teenagers they used to start most of their sentences with 'so'...…….but that was the end of the sentence too!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I assume it is all the latest incarnation of "like" and "you know", and to me indicates a similar lack of literacy. Our modern education system seems to treat any attempt at good grammar or spelling as snobbishness.

Is it only in this country that being badly educated, or at least giving that impression, is deemed something of which to be proud?

Thing is though, Paddy, it's often very well educated people who are using the word in that way - Doctors, solicitors etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.   I actually feel some sense of relief.  All this time, I was thinking that I was the only one who found this incredibly annoying.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RLC35 said:

 

I have a lady friend who starts every sentence with "Well anyway", and it drives me crazy. 

Perhaps she’s just concerned about her health. ‘Bit like me every morning, “not dead yet”!  Unlikely to be contradicted, until I won’t really care.

Apparently the term “so well” has already entered into common parlance across the pond, as in “swell” meaning fantastic!  If only Trump was a bit more hip, we’d be hearing that all the time.......

Jerry

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its on a par with "Can I get a..." for me. Annoys the hell out of me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RLC35 said:

 

I have a lady friend who starts every sentence with "Well anyway", and it drives me crazy. I have mentioned it to her, but she continues.........

I have a lady friend who always starts her sentences with  “Hey, are you listening?” Sometimes she even says it twice, bless her. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

I have a lady friend who always starts her sentences with  “Hey, are you listening?” Sometimes she even says it twice, bless her.

Mine just tells me I'm not listening, although if I know that, then I must be listening............................

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what about the awful habit that's crept in of saying "Can I GET a ham sandwich ?" instead of "Can I have a ham sandwich ?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, secret santa said:

And what about the awful habit that's crept in of saying "Can I GET a ham sandwich ?" instead of "Can I have a ham sandwich ?".

Shouldn't it be "May" and not "Can"??

Possibly, in this sense however, "Can" is acceptable, inasmuch as the restaurant may not have all the ingredients in stock.

Ergo, you may have a ham sandwich, except for the fact that we don't have all the ingredients. Therefore you can't have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that "may" is better than "can" but it's the word GET that gets my goat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I agree that "may" is better than "can" but it's the word GET that gets my goat.

Oooh get you ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, secret santa said:

I agree that "may" is better than "can" but it's the word GET that gets my goat.

Understood...

I just have memories of it being drummed into us in school that we CAN have something although we MAY not have it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Shouldn't it be "May" and not "Can"??

Possibly, in this sense however, "Can" is acceptable, inasmuch as the restaurant may not have all the ingredients in stock.

Ergo, you may have a ham sandwich, except for the fact that we don't have all the ingredients. Therefore you can't have one.

Indeed. "Can you pass the salt?" should always elicit the reply "Yes", but no actual salt appears.. 😄

And I also find the beginning of replies with "So" incredibly annoying. So (!) many Pointless contestants do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Indeed. "Can you pass the salt?" should always elicit the reply "Yes", but no actual salt appears.. 😄

And I also find the beginning of replies with "So" incredibly annoying. So (!) many Pointless contestants do it.

As in, yes, to answer your question, I'm physically capable of passing the salt. If you actually want me to do so, you have to say the magic word.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much on the same context..

Someone asks you if you have the time. You look at your watch and say yes.

They never asked for the time, although it is implied that they were looking for the current time .

 

So many instances of idiom and implied,  versus literal....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, secret santa said:

And what about the awful habit that's crept in of saying "Can I GET a ham sandwich ?" instead of "Can I have a ham sandwich ?".

I was in a cafe and asked "Can I get a ham sandwich?"

There was quite a negative reaction to this, so i said " May I have a ham sandwich?".

Still uproar.

I can't believe that the people in that cafe were so incensed about what I said.

It doesn't matter- I'm not planning to go back to Karachi anyway....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×