British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

1913 penny - Freeman 175 & 176

17 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes looking back it was a 176 I had slabbed before putting it on ebay. I had a reserve of £180 which it didn't quite reach. I then offered it to the highest bidder at the reserve. They had a bit of a winge about reserves I assume because they hadn't got it for their maximum bit. Obviously didn't understand what a reserve was.

That person was me , i had only just started collecting but looking at the messages i sent you there was no "winge" just how much would you accept for it as I could not reach the reserve without an underbidder ☺️

Its the reason i remembered your original thread.

Maybe 5 years ago you did not think the newbie who knows nothing would still be around :D

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

That person was me , i had only just started collecting but looking at the messages i sent you there was no "winge" just how much would you accept for it as I could not reach the reserve without an underbidder ☺️

Its the reason i remembered your original thread.

Maybe 5 years ago you did not think the newbie who knows nothing would still be around :D

Not only a pain in the arse here, but also ebay to 😂 (just kidding) 😉

• Haha 1

😂 I can laugh at myself Dave ,so dont mind laughing with (at) others 😛

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Even so Richard, that one's a bit of a horror. 

Yes, but I was desperate enough to get one that I bought a similar horror back in the day !

11 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I'm convinced that this is another.  

No question.

It's DEFINITELY a horror!

22 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes thats why i was getting confused , as you also do say in the first post that the coin came from the Crocker sale .

Can't remember that far back, If I did have one from Crocker it will be the current one in my collection.

I remember someone trying to sell me a coin a few years ago ago that the provenance wasnt right......Which i only found out later ☺️

Soon after i bought a penny from an auction (not LCA) only a few known and really good provenance.When i received the coin i was able to get the sellers details and asked him how he knew the provenance that was stated in the description.

"i think someone told me "was his reply which didnt sound very promising :D

I then was able to send a message to the person himself who supposedly last had it , as he is still alive......... "No it definately wasnt mine " wasnt really what i wanted to hear ☹️

The auction in fairness did offer me a full refund ,although i decided to keep it.

A couple of years later i took a LOSS (it was bugging me ) and sold it making sure the person knew it WASNT right.

Provenance is nice although the lesson i learned was to always check and be sure and otherwise just put a line through it and buy just the coin.

Edited by PWA 1967

I also bought an 1856 penny the seller told me was EX-Alderley and had to tell him it wasnt although i believed he didnt know and had been ripped off with the price being bumped up.I did buy it off him anyway much cheaper as was a really nice one ,but again i am glad i checked first before i bought it , as he hadnt.

Edited by PWA 1967

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, secret santa said:

I've now added F176 to my rarestpenny site to see what sort of population builds up. If anyone else has one please post or send me pictures.

Richard i sent you a few emails yesterday, please could you let me know if they got to you ok.   Terry

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Richard i sent you a few emails yesterday, please could you let me know if they got to you ok.   Terry

Terry, I sent you a couple of emails - did you not receive them ?

On 3/24/2019 at 1:45 AM, mrbadexample said:

I'm convinced that this is another.  

This is what was under the crud- still a horror...

That auction is odd- I've told the guy that he's already sold it but he isn't listening....

P1030640.jpeg

P1030639.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, PWA 1967 said:

I also bought an 1856 penny the seller told me was EX-Alderley and had to tell him it wasnt although i believed he didnt know and had been ripped off with the price being bumped up.I did buy it off him anyway much cheaper as was a really nice one ,but again i am glad i checked first before i bought it , as he hadnt.

Talking about the Alderley collection, is it possible to get the realised prices from anywhere? The Colin Cooke page just shows the estimates.  

40 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

This is what was under the crud- still a horror...

That auction is odd- I've told the guy that he's already sold it but he isn't listening....

Wow - I've been looking at that for ages but came to the conclusion that it was so utterly shot that it wasn't even worth attempting a rescue. Sure, it's still a wreck but considering the state it was in it hasn't scrubbed up too badly. Where did you start? :o

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Talking about the Alderley collection, is it possible to get the realised prices from anywhere? 

I wrote most of the hammer prices onto my catalogue - are there any specific lots you'd like to know about ?

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Talking about the Alderley collection, is it possible to get the realised prices from anywhere? The Colin Cooke page just shows the estimates.  

Just email Lee at colin cooke Mike and sure he will send  them you , as i did have them but cant find it.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Wow - I've been looking at that for ages but came to the conclusion that it was so utterly shot that it wasn't even worth attempting a rescue. Sure, it's still a wreck but considering the state it was in it hasn't scrubbed up too badly. Where did you start? :o

You were right the first time. Trying to rescue a 1908 penny in that condition shows real dedication. If you have to carry out major repairs, then the default option is a trip to the scrapper.

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

I wrote most of the hammer prices onto my catalogue - are there any specific lots you'd like to know about ?

Lot 101 - the 1864 F48 crosslet 4

Lot 121 - the 1875 F82

Thanks

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Lot 101 - the 1864 F48 crosslet 4 - £1300 hammer (there was no buyer's commission)

Lot 121 - the 1875 F82 - not sold

• Like 1

I dont know if it matters but Lot 121 was F80 and Lot 122 was F82

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I dont know if it matters but Lot 121 was F80 and Lot 122 was F82

Yes, and lot 122 sold for £475.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps - sorry can't do quotes on this phone. 

11 hours ago, Rob said:

You were right the first time. Trying to rescue a 1908 penny in that condition shows real dedication. If you have to carry out major repairs, then the default option is a trip to the scrapper.

I know, but there's still a little part of me that's pleased it's been saved from the bin (and that I didn't have to attempt it). :)

18 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Well, it was that rare and cheap I felt like having an experiment- it couldn't get much worse!!

First thing- heated on a steel plate till 200˚C plus, when the carbonate changes to dark oxide, which is mechanically softer.

When it's up to that temperature and the colour changes, the coin is dropped into cold water.

The thermal contraction shock makes the black layer fall off.

Soft copper tools are then used which won't touch the bronze underneath at all.

I have copper brushes made from fine multistrand electrical cable, and stubborn spots can be flicked off

with a tiny copper chisel made from a piece of copper wire with the end sharpened to the right state.

If needed, contrast of the high spots on a flat looking specimen can be achieved by keeping the coin in your pocket for a bit!

And voila!!

I know it's all bit past what people like to have happen to any coin, but it was a satisfying experiment-

if it was the only F164A I had, it would be in the collection filling an expensive gap......:)

• Like 1

Oh- and if anyone wants to try this- start with the right coin.

The edges on this were hard and relatively intact. 

This is a good starting point.     If, however, the coin is a green detector find,

you can often see the edge crumbling. In the cases, the bronze has converted down, so underneath there is nothing.

Even if the condition look EF, you touch the surface and all the detail vanishes.

The 1908 had crud ON it, not IN it......:)

Innit?

Well I've now managed to obtain a really nice F176, again from John Jerrams (Topcarp2). Thanks for the heads up Jerry. Really pleased with this acquisition as the 176 is clearly very scare, even in low grade. So to get one like this is excellent.  

I'd say it's aUNC/GEF, with decent hair detail, although as so often with this era, the breast plate is somewhat deficient. Britannia's head well struck up, however.  Tiny circular metal flaw on the King's head.

Managed to knock him down from £320 to £280 best offer, which, given the condition, is a very reasonable price, with free postage and exclusive of any auction buyer fee. I must say, he does a good sell, and his write up's are always a pleasure to read. 

FF 176 REV - cropped.jpg

FF176 OBV cropped.jpg

• Like 6