British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

37 minutes ago, alfnail said:

An upgrade on my existing.......which has already been sold! Looks interesting ! Tell us more about it, date, reverse etc. please.

Gouby BP 1860T_Satin 19.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Sorry Bernie didn't realise that the title of my picture (Gouby BP 1860T_Satin 19) would not appear in my earlier post; that's why I didn't bother with a picture of the reverse side........I guess that's what you would expect from a Junior Member!

Anyway, here's the reverse, for those of you that did not spot the missing colon:-

Gouby BP 1860T_Satin 19 Reverse.jpg

• Like 1

My won lot at the recent DNW auction, was an 1860 F17 in aUNC condition with good lustre. Although I've already got a GEF example, courtesy of Ian Fall, it does unfortunately have some light scratches on it. So when I saw this one, thought it was too good an opportunity to miss. 

It's lot No 1139.

Freeman 177 rev.jpg

Freeman 177 obv.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry if i put the price up a bit for you Mike as i was the underbidder :rolleyes:

Why did you drop out at £550, Pete? 

Had a feeling it was someone on the forum. 

30 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Why did you drop out at £550, Pete? 

Had a feeling it was someone on the forum. 

Not a clue really Mike :D

I wrote down a maximum of £500 but as that was your bid i went one more :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Nice specimen, Mike. With reverse D* too (mine is plain D).

D* - I'm not familiar with that variety, Richard. What's the difference between that and plain D?

Is it a Gouby type? 

Couldn't see in Gouby or Satin.

ETA: Compared the two reverses and the only difference I can see is no obvious rock to left of lighthouse on the D*

Edited by 1949threepence

20 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

D* - I'm not familiar with that variety, Richard. What's the difference between that and plain D?

Is it a Gouby type? 

Couldn't see in Gouby or Satin.

ETA: Compared the two reverses and the only difference I can see is no obvious rock to left of lighthouse on the D*

Link to Richards site  http://www.headsntails14.wordpress.com/   look under Victoria reverses 1860  .

Edited by terrysoldpennies
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Link to Richards site  http://www.headsntails14.wordpress.com/   look under Victoria reverses 1860  .

Got it. Thanks a lot Terry.

You probably saw this on Ebay recently. The route to getting it was tortuous but I just had to have it - it's stunning. It's far and away the best of only 4 known examples (1862 over 1).

1862 F39 2 over 1 rev.JPG

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, secret santa said:

You probably saw this on Ebay recently. The route to getting it was tortuous but I just had to have it - it's stunning. It's far and away the best of only 4 known examples (1862 over 1).

That's fantastic Richard , I missed that one.   Terry

It is beautiful, and I'm pleased it was you that bought it (I had already spotted it on your site). The vendor, a regular for criticism on this forum, seems to have acquired some genuinely nice coins lately, but his initial pricing was way out of my league. 

So my 2/1 is relegated to the second best known. Ah, well. 

Jerry

Well done, and well spotted, Richard.

That has to be the best so far encountered. 

Excellant example Richard. I was watching that one also. I was surprised when he lowered the price, and relisted it from 20k ($)to 10k...seemed a little odd. Your coin is the best I have ever seen, of that overdate. Great purchase! :)

"the route to getting it was tortuous*.........:lol:

I dont know how you coped as his English is worse than mine and made me smile :o

As a matter of interest, I've received a request from Wordpress that user "lspenny45" would like access to my collection website but I have no idea who this person might be. If lspenny45 reads this, please PM me so that I know who you are and I'll almost certainly grant access.

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I dont know how you coped as his English is worse than mine and made me smile :o

All attempts to contact him were ignored (to his detriment) and I got it through a 3rd/4th party.

That is an amazing coin

20 hours ago, secret santa said:

Magnificent specimen Richard, however my humble specimen was probably the better bargain for €.99 (about $1.49 at the time)

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

1 hour ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Magnificent specimen Richard, however my humble specimen was probably the better bargain for €.99 (about $1.49 at the time)

Absolutely right Gary - nothing bargain-like about mine !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Absolutely right Gary - nothing bargain-like about mine !

That's what makes this hobby so great.

Both ends of the spectrum and we both enjoy it. Not to mention the knowledge gained and the camaraderie shared.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

How about a pic to compare then eh? :D