British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

33 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Think you will find the good stuff i have bought :lol: ............;).

Well he's got one I'm very interested in.........

Was only joking Mike hope you get it :)

If not add yourself to his mailing list as from my experience a lot sell within the first couple of days :huh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Could you hammer it across to me too please?

Ta. :)

Sorry Jon only just noticed this but sent :)

He doesn't do pictures though, but always has a stall at the Midland if you need to view something. Great guy.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, bhx7 said:

Not something which will appeal to everyone but I had to add it to my collection. A piece of social history, trench art. Adding to the adage For God, King and Country.....the Lords Prayer on an early George V penny. I am not religious just admire the time and effort taken. Not my photos so sorry for quality.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(15).jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(16).jpg

Well coin arrived today -- not a penny but a farthing!!!!! :( Not overly happy. Waiting to see response from seller. Still a great piece but not what I would have bid on if I had known.

My message must not have posted :wacko: I did post saying "is that on a halfpenny?" because the legend is so close together. Did he say it was on a penny then?

It was posted under the penny section. See what you mean Matt. Hadn't picked up on that!

Edited by bhx7

32 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Well coin arrived today -- not a penny but a farthing!!!!! :( Not overly happy. Waiting to see response from seller. Still a great piece but not what I would have bid on if I had known.

Much better on a farthing than a penny :) The canvas is far smaller, and by extension, the quality of work higher. Should be more, not less happy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

@bhx7 As a result I might be interested in it if you don't want the grief of sending it back :)

21 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Was only joking Mike hope you get it :)

If not add yourself to his mailing list as from my experience a lot sell within the first couple of days :huh:

Dave rang me this morning, Pete, after I e mailed him last night. I'd asked if he could send a pic, but he said he wasn't much good at that, so he's sending the coin I want, which was the best of his Freeman 78's, on approval. Hope he has sent it signed for. Forgot to mention that in our conversation.  

Thought it might be you Mike ,he told me today he had sent it someone ;)

More old school no photos just have a look and if your not happy send it back :)

35 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Dave rang me this morning, Pete, after I e mailed him last night. I'd asked if he could send a pic, but he said he wasn't much good at that, so he's sending the coin I want, which was the best of his Freeman 78's, on approval. Hope he has sent it signed for. Forgot to mention that in our conversation.  

You're just down the road from the Midland and it's the fair this Sunday....Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

You're just down the road from the Midland and it's the fair this Sunday....Just a thought.

...and it's a great thought, Peter. But unfortunately I've agreed to do overtime to try and clear a huge work arrears backlog. So won't be able to attend. That said, I believe the June fair is one of the "big four", so I'll make a special effort to attend that one.       

I know I worked out its a farthing so not the right place, but thought I would keeop continuity and post my own photo's of the Lords Prayer coin. I have been given a chunk of cost back as a partial refund for the initial error made so am a lot happier. As Rob stated above the smaller canvas does add to the skill involved!!!!

WP_20160405_022.jpg

• Like 3

Obverse

WP_20160405_026.jpg

8 hours ago, Colin G. said:

@bhx7 As a result I might be interested in it if you don't want the grief of sending it back :)

Thank you very much for the offer Colin. I will keep it in mind :D. Had a good look at your site, very nice and informative, thanks.

13 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I know I worked out its a farthing so not the right place, but thought I would keeop continuity and post my own photo's of the Lords Prayer coin. I have been given a chunk of cost back as a partial refund for the initial error made so am a lot happier. As Rob stated above the smaller canvas does add to the skill involved!!!!

WP_20160405_022.jpg

I'm a confirmed agnostic, but I still think that's a stunning piece of work. :)

• Like 1

Well that's a bonus, like Rob said. more impressive on a smaller flan! :)

• Like 1

A 1933 lavrillier penny in the next Baldwin auction Lot 1070 although the write up on numisbids is worth a read.

Estimate £35K :o

Sorry again i cant put the link up but home alone as the wife in Spain :rolleyes:

Pete.

here's a more direct link...

link

Very interesting history. Any idea where the "coin sized nickled models" would have ended up. Are these test pieces normally destroyed or are they in some vault somewhere?

13 hours ago, bhx7 said:

WP_20160405_022.jpg

The obverse is in such good nick, it cant have seen much circulation, are there any clues to the date of the coin Brian?

I'd love to see it in hand if you are going to TNS next week.

Ian..

1 hour ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

...are there any clues to the date of the coin Brian?

I'll take a punt and then Colin can come along and tell me I'm wrong. :P

I would say 1914-1917. I base this on the spacing of the TT in BRITT. This appears to be the wider spacing, pictures on Colin's site here: http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Farthing%20-%201915.html

I don't believe this obverse appears prior to 1914. Assuming 1918 to be too late for trench art, given the time it usually takes for the latest coins to appear in circulation (and also the time taken to do the work), I rule this date out, but it's not impossible by any means.

I covet it. It would make a nice present for a friend of mine who likes a bit of God. :)

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry again i cant put the link up but home alone as the wife in Spain :rolleyes:

Pete.

Good time to go shopping for a 35k coin? :D