Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
On 4/8/2022 at 6:04 PM, Rob said:

How common or rare is BP1882Ha given it isn't in Freeman or Spink which only list the 2/1?

I wanted to dwell on this 1882 Obverse / Reverse pairing, and get some more views. Just to recap:-

Gouby has the pairing as 1882Ha (P + p), plus overdate types 1882Ka (P + p) and 1882Kb (P + p)

Freeman has the same die pairing as F111 (11 + M), but goes on to say in his footnote 23 that

“All specimens of no. 111 believed to be 2/1. Only small sections of the ‘1’ are visible , as it seems to have been partially erased from the die”

I have just spent a bit of time checking my previous sales of this die pairing, and find that I have owned 3 examples of Gouby type 1882Kb (P +p).  

Below are high-definition pictures of the overdates on 2 of these 3 coins, which I believe is an exact match with the small picture bottom right on Page 78 of MG’s book:-

combinedsized.thumb.jpg.fed593a35c5d253aecdab5b75512e9e1.jpg

The red arrow shows an extra bit of the underneath 1 which I think can sometimes be seen on better examples. Whilst I do not have a high-definition picture of the 3rd piece which I have owned (now sold) I can still see that the bit I have highlighted in yellow (on the Alderley piece) can be seen on all 3 coins, and I feel this is a distinctive / fairly obvious feature of this type.

I can also see from my past sales that I have sold many more examples of 1882 (11 + M) which have no evidence of an underlying numeral 1.  Bearing in mind that the overdate is, in my opinion, fairly easy to see I am very surprised that Freeman believed there were no examples that did not have the overdate. If he had a number of 1882’s in his sample, with this die pairing, then surely some would not have had the overdate.

Gouby, on the other hand, has 1882Ha as Rare and 1882Ka/b as Extremely Rare, which I think reflects my own observations.

 

My second thought on this type is regarding 1882Ka; a full date picture can again be found on Page 78 of Gouby’s book.

Whilst Gouby does not show a full date picture of his type 1882Kb I can see by examining my own pieces that the position of the numerals (and H) on my examples of 1882Kb seem to be in identical locations to the example of his 1882Ka. I also notice that the 1882Ka on Page 78 has all numerals (and H) doubled, and that there is additionally some ‘flawing’ between the base of the numeral 2 and the outer curve. This has left me thinking that Ka and Kb may both have been struck from the same die, but that Ka is just struck later after the die has become ‘flawed’, and that this flawing perhaps gives a false impression of a different (second) 2/1 amended die.

I have looked at Richard’s ‘englishpennies’ website but see that he does not distinguish between Ka and Kb types. I am wondering if a member a) actually owns the Ka piece pictured in Gouby’s book or b) thinks they may have an example of this Ka variety.

Apologies to any member who does not own Gouby’s book for reference!

  • Like 3
Posted
On 4/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, alfnail said:

I wanted to dwell on this 1882 Obverse / Reverse pairing, and get some more views. Just to recap:-

Gouby has the pairing as 1882Ha (P + p), plus overdate types 1882Ka (P + p) and 1882Kb (P + p)

Freeman has the same die pairing as F111 (11 + M), but goes on to say in his footnote 23 that

“All specimens of no. 111 believed to be 2/1. Only small sections of the ‘1’ are visible , as it seems to have been partially erased from the die”

I have just spent a bit of time checking my previous sales of this die pairing, and find that I have owned 3 examples of Gouby type 1882Kb (P +p).  

Below are high-definition pictures of the overdates on 2 of these 3 coins, which I believe is an exact match with the small picture bottom right on Page 78 of MG’s book:-

combinedsized.thumb.jpg.fed593a35c5d253aecdab5b75512e9e1.jpg

The red arrow shows an extra bit of the underneath 1 which I think can sometimes be seen on better examples. Whilst I do not have a high-definition picture of the 3rd piece which I have owned (now sold) I can still see that the bit I have highlighted in yellow (on the Alderley piece) can be seen on all 3 coins, and I feel this is a distinctive / fairly obvious feature of this type.

I can also see from my past sales that I have sold many more examples of 1882 (11 + M) which have no evidence of an underlying numeral 1.  Bearing in mind that the overdate is, in my opinion, fairly easy to see I am very surprised that Freeman believed there were no examples that did not have the overdate. If he had a number of 1882’s in his sample, with this die pairing, then surely some would not have had the overdate.

Gouby, on the other hand, has 1882Ha as Rare and 1882Ka/b as Extremely Rare, which I think reflects my own observations.

 

My second thought on this type is regarding 1882Ka; a full date picture can again be found on Page 78 of Gouby’s book.

Whilst Gouby does not show a full date picture of his type 1882Kb I can see by examining my own pieces that the position of the numerals (and H) on my examples of 1882Kb seem to be in identical locations to the example of his 1882Ka. I also notice that the 1882Ka on Page 78 has all numerals (and H) doubled, and that there is additionally some ‘flawing’ between the base of the numeral 2 and the outer curve. This has left me thinking that Ka and Kb may both have been struck from the same die, but that Ka is just struck later after the die has become ‘flawed’, and that this flawing perhaps gives a false impression of a different (second) 2/1 amended die.

I have looked at Richard’s ‘englishpennies’ website but see that he does not distinguish between Ka and Kb types. I am wondering if a member a) actually owns the Ka piece pictured in Gouby’s book or b) thinks they may have an example of this Ka variety.

Apologies to any member who does not own Gouby’s book for reference!

I have had a chance to look at my 1882’s this afternoon.  I have three F111 2/1 coins, one is as BP 1882 Ka, and the other two appear not to be ‘K’ but much more like the F114 2/1 Gouby shows,  with a small spike further to the left. These both have a miniscule protrusion on the top of the arch of the 2 that could be the top left serif of the 1. Then I have one F114 2/1 as per Gouby BP 1882 Ma. I would say that one of my F111’s is identical to the F114 overstrike, and the other may be but the spike is less distinct. So have I possibly a new variety? I will try and get some microscope pics to show what I am looking at.

Jerry

  • Like 1
Posted

Interestingly Richards No2 example of F111 2/1 Rarest Pennies coins may be this new type.

Jerry

Posted
19 hours ago, alfnail said:

Close up pictures would be good Jerry, I'm particularly interested to see your F111 Ka which matches Gouby's book. 

OK, here are my attempts at close-ups using a very basic microscope with non-switchable light that really flattens everything.

First the F111 that looks like Ka.

 

F111Ka.jpg

Posted

And the  F111 with the smaller spike and top corners of the '1'.

 

F111a.jpg

F111a annotated.jpg

Posted

And the other F111 with the smaller spike and top corners of the '1', and finally the F114.

Again, I'm sorry the pics are all over the place, I really do need to upgrade the microscope and stand.

 

F111b.jpg

F114.jpg

Posted
On 4/21/2022 at 6:09 PM, jelida said:

I have had a chance to look at my 1882’s this afternoon.  I have three F111 2/1 coins, one is as BP 1882 Ka, and the other two appear not to be ‘K’ but much more like the F114 2/1 Gouby shows,  with a small spike further to the left. These both have a miniscule protrusion on the top of the arch of the 2 that could be the top left serif of the 1. Then I have one F114 2/1 as per Gouby BP 1882 Ma. I would say that one of my F111’s is identical to the F114 overstrike, and the other may be but the spike is less distinct. So have I possibly a new variety? I will try and get some microscope pics to show what I am looking at.

Jerry

Thanks for the pictures Jerry.

Your ‘undoubled’ example of Ka does seem to reinforce that this is a different type of overdate to my Kb examples.

Perhaps even more interesting are your middle 3 pictures which seem to not just show the protrusion top left (like an F114 Ma) but also top right too. I think you would be justified claiming this as a new type of F111 requiring documenting, Kc.

Your F114 Ma (final picture) is exactly as I have seen myself. It’s interesting that MG says on his page 79 “the only part of the 1 that can be seen, on this example, is the small portion that sticks out centrally, half way up the 2”. I think, however, that the tiny protrusion top left can also be seen in his picture on Page 79 and may even be a clearer identifier than then protrusion halfway up the 2.

I  attach my own example as confirmation of this type.

1882Ma Predecimal.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, alfnail said:

Thanks for the pictures Jerry.

Your ‘undoubled’ example of Ka does seem to reinforce that this is a different type of overdate to my Kb examples.

Perhaps even more interesting are your middle 3 pictures which seem to not just show the protrusion top left (like an F114 Ma) but also top right too. I think you would be justified claiming this as a new type of F111 requiring documenting, Kc.

Your F114 Ma (final picture) is exactly as I have seen myself. It’s interesting that MG says on his page 79 “the only part of the 1 that can be seen, on this example, is the small portion that sticks out centrally, half way up the 2”. I think, however, that the tiny protrusion top left can also be seen in his picture on Page 79 and may even be a clearer identifier than then protrusion halfway up the 2.

I  attach my own example as confirmation of this type.

1882Ma Predecimal.jpg

Thanks Ian. Presumably each 2/1 variety is a single die issue,  hence the scarcity.  I will send photos to MG and see what he thinks of the possible Kc.

And I will get pics to you too, Richard.

Jerry

Posted
On 4/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, secret santa said:

Ian, Jerry and any others

Could you please email me photos of your 1882 over 1's for the website.

Hi Richard,

Will email you pictures.

Posted

Not as good as mine which cost £8.

Jerry

  • Like 2
Posted

@alfnail

Ian, In a footnote at page 407, Peck states that bronzed currency pieces exist for 1841 (no colon), 1853 (OT), 1855 (PT) and 1857 (OT).

This is something that I've ever noticed, or seen referred to anywhere . May I respectfully ask whether you have ever come across any in your extensive experience? If so, should we regard them as scarce? I'd imagine they would only be noticeable as such, in very high states of preservation.

Thanks in advance.   

Posted
On 5/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, secret santa said:

Sure does.

Actually I have two more worn examples, I will send pics in due course. I bought one , but in poor condition, for 99 cents two days ago, with postage £22.

Jerrym

Posted
On 5/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, 1949threepence said:

@alfnail

Ian, In a footnote at page 407, Peck states that bronzed currency pieces exist for 1841 (no colon), 1853 (OT), 1855 (PT) and 1857 (OT).

This is something that I've ever noticed, or seen referred to anywhere . May I respectfully ask whether you have ever come across any in your extensive experience? If so, should we regard them as scarce? I'd imagine they would only be noticeable as such, in very high states of preservation.

Thanks in advance.   

I didn't know that either. It would be great to see pictures of an example or two.

 

Posted
1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

I didn't know that either. It would be great to see pictures of an example or two.

 

I'm going to keep a look out for anything which might be a potential specimen.

Like so much of the pre 1860 copper series, it's been somewhat overlooked. 

Posted
On 5/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, 1949threepence said:

Ian, In a footnote at page 407, Peck states that bronzed currency pieces exist for 1841 (no colon), 1853 (OT), 1855 (PT) and 1857 (OT).

This is something that I've ever noticed, or seen referred to anywhere . May I respectfully ask whether you have ever come across any in your extensive experience? If so, should we regard them as scarce? I'd imagine they would only be noticeable as such, in very high states of preservation.

I bought a bronzed 1857 from Sovreign Rarities a while ago.

1195179512_1857P1514PTBronzedSovRobv.jpg.b6ba99ee5cd773585227f5a5050735c6.jpg

  • Like 3
Posted
1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I bought a bronzed 1857 from Sovreign Rarities a while ago.

 

Was it flagged up as a bronzed piece, Richard, or just sold as date only?

Posted
On 5/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, 1949threepence said:

@alfnail

Ian, In a footnote at page 407, Peck states that bronzed currency pieces exist for 1841 (no colon), 1853 (OT), 1855 (PT) and 1857 (OT).

This is something that I've ever noticed, or seen referred to anywhere . May I respectfully ask whether you have ever come across any in your extensive experience? If so, should we regard them as scarce? I'd imagine they would only be noticeable as such, in very high states of preservation.

Thanks in advance.   

Should have noticed that the footnote in question continues over the page into 408, to include the 1858/7, the small date 1858, the 1858 no ww (and the 1859 copper proof, which isn't a currency penny).

In the same footnote, Peck also goes onto say that there are gilded specimens of the 1841 no colon after reg and the 1853 OT. Although that somewhat contradicts his comments on page 391 where he says: "Gilt specimens of the copper and bronze coins of George IV to Victoria are occasionally met with, but these are only current pieces which have been gilded after leaving the Mint: no gilt specimens have ever been issued by the Mint".

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...