terrysoldpennies Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 All 1875 Rev H [Freeman] pennies are Ja the J is on the 74s 1 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 (edited) 6 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said: All 1875 Rev H [Freeman] pennies are Ja the J is on the 74s Brilliant and thank you so much for your reply ,i should of again looked in the book and not spent as much time on the 1874. Quick easy exp[anation ...Hat off and dont get to sunburnt today 😎 Edited May 15, 2019 by PWA 1967 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 Ja Scream at me if you think i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea as this is a well known established type, with a Gouby classification to give it a Freeman type , such as an H* so as to end some of the confusion . Quote
secret santa Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said: Ja Scream at me if you think i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea as this is a well known established type, with a Gouby classification to give it a Freeman type , such as an H* so as to end some of the confusion . In the paperback reprint of Freeman's book in 2016 I made some suggested Freeman classifications (such as Obverse 2* for the 145 tooth obverse that you found and 4* for Gouby's obverse G) but, unless a revised version of Freeman is agreed and published, they can only ever be suggestions with no formal authority. With Michael Freeman no longer interested in the subject, I guess we are left with Michael Gouby who, at least, is open to recording new varieties and types with their associated Gouby identifier. Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 I do take your point Richard , but don't under estimate your own input into all of this, as you were responsible for the updates in the latest Freeman , and you after all gave the 2* classification, and many see you as one of the leading authorities on penny varieties, so using the H* for clarity would I think be useful especially as many now turn to your site for information. Quote
secret santa Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 Flattery will get you everywhere !!!!!!!!!! Quote
jelida Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 This vendor seems confident in identifying the ja reverse variety on a Freeman 72. Maybe. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1874-PENNY-F72-rev-ja/273847142732?hash=item3fc28fc94c:g:JekAAOSwpcpc3BYk Jerry Quote
secret santa Posted May 15, 2019 Posted May 15, 2019 17 minutes ago, jelida said: This vendor seems confident in identifying the ja reverse variety on a Freeman 72. Maybe. He also describes it further down as an Edward VII 1902 penny - keeping his options open ! Quote
secret santa Posted May 16, 2019 Posted May 16, 2019 On 5/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, terrysoldpennies said: Ja Scream at me if you think i'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea as this is a well known established type, with a Gouby classification to give it a Freeman type , such as an H* so as to end some of the confusion I have now mentioned the possibility on my varieties website. 2 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 (edited) Scarce ones at DNW not attibuted today in mixed lots 🙂 I thought i may of been in with a chance especially when one lot i was interested in opened at £20 All good fun. Pete. Edited June 6, 2019 by PWA 1967 Quote
mrbadexample Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 (edited) 8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said: Scarce ones at DNW not attibuted today in mixed lots 🙂 I thought i may of been in with a chance especially when one lot i was interested in opened at £20 All good fun. Pete. Lot 981 was interesting - 60 x 1862 pennies. When it went for £800 hammer from the estimate of £90-120, I thought I'd take a closer look. I think I can see a halfpenny date, an 8/6 and a F38. 1. Am I right? 2. Anyone see anything else? Was anyone here the happy buyer? Edited June 6, 2019 by mrbadexample Quote
1949threepence Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 26 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Lot 981 was interesting - 60 x 1862 pennies. When it went for £800 hammer from the estimate of £90-120, I thought I'd take a closer look. I think I can see a halfpenny date, an 8/6 and a F38. 1. Am I right? 2. Anyone see anything else? Was anyone here the happy buyer? I think you may be right on the F38, Jon. Honestly not sure about the other two. Quote
mrbadexample Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: I think you may be right on the F38, Jon. Honestly not sure about the other two. Do these help? Quote
1949threepence Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: I think you may be right on the F38, Jon. Honestly not sure about the other two. But the fact it went for £800 would very strongly suggest a few rare varieties in it. You wouldn't pay that much for 60 tat 1862's. Quote
1949threepence Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Do these help? Yep - right on all three. F38, 8/6 and halfpenny date. Absolute for definite. Quote
mrbadexample Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 Maybe I should have looked harder before the auction. Does the presence of these 3 rarities (at least) make the hammer price a good one? I've really got no idea when it comes to these. Quote
1949threepence Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 4 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Maybe I should have looked harder before the auction. Does the presence of these 3 rarities (at least) make the hammer price a good one? I've really got no idea when it comes to these. Oh absolutely. The 8/6 looks particularly nice - about VF, I'd say, although we can't see the obverse. The buyer will potentially more than triple what he paid, when selling. 1 Quote
mrbadexample Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 Cheers Mike. lot 980, 120 x 1861 pennies also went well at £900 hammer. Something good in there obviously, but the picture's a lot more crowded with twice the coins - I can't spot anything. If you go and view the lots, can you sit there for a couple of hours going through each coin one by one? What's the etiquette if there are other people wishing to view? 1 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 Some people are looking at them all day Jon and you cant bid with as much confidence only seeing one side in a picture or missing out on something that is hidden. Hat off to the buyers especially if they took the time to go and have a good look and are happy , its the same as looking at something and knowing its crap on the side that is hidden and not going to high.They may well of bought others we cant see in the picture 🙂 There was obviously something or some in the 1860 Lot selling for over £3K with commision. Quote
PWA 1967 Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 (edited) 52 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Maybe I should have looked harder before the auction. Does the presence of these 3 rarities (at least) make the hammer price a good one? I've really got no idea when it comes to these. The other thing to remember is people often spend a couple of hours looking and find nothing of any value ,its much easier when the sale price has brought it to peoples attention Edited June 6, 2019 by PWA 1967 Quote
mrbadexample Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 5 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said: Some people are looking at them all day Jon and you cant bid with as much confidence only seeing one side in a picture or missing out on something that is hidden. Hat off to the buyers especially if they took the time to go and have a good look and are happy , its the same as looking at something and knowing its crap on the side that is hidden and not going to high.They may well of bought others we cant see in the picture 🙂 There was obviously something or some in the 1860 Lot selling for over £3K with commision. With 1860 and 1861 you can't make much of an ID without seeing both sides though, so someone's had a good look in person I guess. The 1862 lot was a fortunate picture I think. Quote
mrbadexample Posted June 6, 2019 Posted June 6, 2019 2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said: The other thing to remember is people often spend a couple of hours looking and find nothing of any value ,its much easier when the sale price has brought it to peoples attention You're not wrong. I only looked that hard because it was obvious something had to be there. Quote
1949threepence Posted June 24, 2019 Posted June 24, 2019 Did anybody bid/win an item in that sale of mostly scarce or rare bun pennies sold by Coopers Coins on e bay last night? Managed to get the F38, a specimen of which I've been trying to obtain for several years. 2 Quote
jelida Posted June 24, 2019 Posted June 24, 2019 4 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Did anybody bid/win an item in that sale of mostly scarce or rare bun pennies sold by Coopers Coins on e bay last night? Managed to get the F38, a specimen of which I've been trying to obtain for several years. Well done, Mike, the F38 was good value. I was shocked by the F76 making £410, very worn and dented, I had thought of a punt at about a ton! The F9 was also pricey, a tolerable VG at £1100 or thereabouts, I had thought half that would have a chance, it doesn’t compare that well with a couple of LCA offerings of the last few years. I can wait for examples of both of those. An interesting collection albeit lower grade, will have taken some effort to put together. Jerry Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.