Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Many years ago, we did the history of Glasgow at school but I don't remember the story behind the arms. However, as I remember it, the full motto is 'Let Glasgow Flourish by the Preaching of the Word'. 

Edited by jaggy
Posted
2 hours ago, jaggy said:

Many years ago, we did the history of Glasgow at school but I don't remember the story behind the arms. However, as I remember it, the full motto is 'Let Glasgow Flourish by the Preaching of the Word'. 

And the Word is "See YOU, Jimmy!"

Posted
8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

And the Word is "See YOU, Jimmy!"

And a glasgow kiss mmmmmmmmwwwwaaa

  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

A couple from this side of the pond.

1804_HalfCent_PCGS_AU53_composite_zps21b

 

1852_Large_Cent_NGC_MS65BN_composite.jpg

  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
13 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Pickup from york

IMG_20190720_0002.jpg

A nice example, slightly better than mine. Is there any edge inscription? 

Posted
20 hours ago, copper123 said:

18th cent tokens are a great VFM area at the moment .

I agree, here's another of my recent acquisitions

1795_hp_kent_maidstone_conder_padsole_paper_mill_dh_37_01_ref_01441_02_2400.jpg

  • Like 2
Posted

I think its the simple complexity of the collecting and hundreds of different varieties that puts people off - but they are great little pieces of social history and art and also show the rapidly changing social and economic pressures of the time

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

I'm really enjoying the 18th century series too at the moment. Bought this nice Spence piece on Saturday. The toning looks a bit less weird in the hand - the side with James Spence on has a lot of subdued lustre. 

spence1.JPG

spence2.JPG

Edited by JLS
  • Like 5
Posted
6 hours ago, JLS said:

I'm really enjoying the 18th century series too at the moment. Bought this nice Spence piece on Saturday. The toning looks a bit less weird in the hand - the side with James Spence on has a lot of subdued lustre. 

 

 

Very nice indeed, I don't have an example yet ... there's an 'even fellows' token too, can't think where from right now

Posted

That’s also a Spence token, I believe - it exists in farthing-sized format. 

Posted

Another recent Spence purchase... (2/5+)

pigsmeat1.JPG.f60f2d51656f39ba849400cbf695c6ee.JPG

pigsmeat2.JPG.671b97461e51a46e0d4c6187fa8e8506.JPG

  • Like 2
Posted

Another pickup from york a political token from middlesex a rare token and ever popular .

Not in the best of grade but again great VFM

IMG_20190724_0001.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted

Another Spence piece... rare "Coaly Tyne" token struck with the broken obverse die ! 

Sadly with a bit of PVC residue on it - anyone got any tips for professional conservation in the UK (I know about NCS stateside) ? I don't like the idea of cleaning a token this pricey myself. 


coalytyne.JPG.51739f5a7ad9ad5611fffa1b8aedad2c.JPGcoalytyne2.JPG.60e57e20e182f15d9d01fc372235fbe7.JPG

  • Like 2
Posted
9 hours ago, JLS said:

Sadly with a bit of PVC residue on it

Did we even know this might happen to coins back in the seventies when we put tham in these albums.

Posted

Another Spence 'Oddfellows' token, bought today at the Malvern flea fair 

20190728_151623.jpg

  • Like 2
Posted

A new series started, Kempson Coventry half penny 

20190802_191228.jpg

20190802_191351.jpg

  • Like 4
Posted
3 hours ago, will1976 said:

A new series started, Kempson Coventry half penny 

 

 

Really nice, I just have 1 of this series, they are all scarce I believe ...

1797_hp_warwickshire_coventry_dh_295_ref_01467_01_2400.jpg

  • Like 4
Posted
13 hours ago, Paulus said:

Really nice, I just have 1 of this series, they are all scarce I believe ...

I can't recall ever seeing a silver token - is that 6d in the exergue?

Posted
20 hours ago, Paulus said:

Really nice, I just have 1 of this series, they are all scarce I believe ...

Yes they are, although the Bath series seems to be scarcer. I've only seen a couple of those.

 

6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I can't recall ever seeing a silver token - is that 6d in the exergue?

I believe it's just the picture, there is a 6 in the exergue though

  • Like 1
Posted
6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I can't recall ever seeing a silver token - is that 6d in the exergue?

The exergue reads;

ERECTED TEMP HEN 6

ie the building portrayed was erected in Henry VI’s reign.

Jerry

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...