British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Satrt at the bottom and read up!

Dear dullahan78,

2 reasons.

1) I am a full time professional coin dealer and I do not like to see buyers being ripped off.

2) I am a former police officer and to knowingly offer for sale a forgery is fraudulent and a criminal offence.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to stop you from unwittingly passing on a fake to an ebay buyer. I guess you know full well what you are attempting so I'll leave the ball in your court.

- john8150_0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: john8150_0

Subject: Re: Details about the item: john8150_0 sent a message about 1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny #180937503486

Sent Date: 26-Jul-12 16:43:48 BST

Dear john8150_0,

This is the third message I have had in this Vane. I don't know how to answer you any other way than advise you THAT if this is what you believe WHY are you bothering to concern yourself AT ALL

- dullahan78

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: dullahan78

Subject: Details about the item: john8150_0 sent a message about 1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny #180937503486

Sent Date: 26-Jul-12 13:39:07 BST

Dear dullahan78,

This is one of the recent Chinese forgeries isn't it?

Regards,

John.

- john8150_0

Satrt at the bottom and read up!

Dear dullahan78,

2 reasons.

1) I am a full time professional coin dealer and I do not like to see buyers being ripped off.

2) I am a former police officer and to knowingly offer for sale a forgery is fraudulent and a criminal offence.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to stop you from unwittingly passing on a fake to an ebay buyer. I guess you know full well what you are attempting so I'll leave the ball in your court.

- john8150_0

To: john8150_0

Subject: Re: Details about the item: john8150_0 sent a message about 1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny #180937503486

Sent Date: 26-Jul-12 16:43:48 BST

Dear john8150_0,

This is the third message I have had in this Vane. I don't know how to answer you any other way than advise you THAT if this is what you believe WHY are you bothering to concern yourself AT ALL

- dullahan78

Subject: Details about the item: john8150_0 sent a message about 1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny #180937503486

Sent Date: 26-Jul-12 13:39:07 BST

Dear dullahan78,

This is one of the recent Chinese forgeries isn't it?

Regards,

John.

- john8150_0

That should do it! ;)

Somehow i doubt it Stuart

It didn't!

An obnoxious, odious tit (and that's just me)

John 150 Thank you for your advice and your concern. The coin is a genuine find and belongs to my nephew the Finder.

As a former Police Officer you should have left the Paranoia behind when you left the 'Job'

Nobody is being forced to bid. The information on the listing is freely available on Wikipedia If in Doubt DON'T BID

First of all I resent your allegations that "I am knowingly offering for sale a forgery" I know nothing of the sort and I am yet to be shown that this coin is a forgery. I would tread carefully when making accusations especially IN WRITING. You could not have been a very competent Police Officer in my estimation.

And there's more

I have just had an offer to purchase this coin direct as a result of all the flack.

i may remove it of my nephew agrees So Thank you Caped Crusader

If you're Batman he must be the Joker

What a complete f***wit

It didn't!

An obnoxious, odious tit (and that's just me)

John 150 Thank you for your advice and your concern. The coin is a genuine find and belongs to my nephew the Finder.

As a former Police Officer you should have left the Paranoia behind when you left the 'Job'

Nobody is being forced to bid. The information on the listing is freely available on Wikipedia If in Doubt DON'T BID

First of all I resent your allegations that "I am knowingly offering for sale a forgery" I know nothing of the sort and I am yet to be shown that this coin is a forgery. I would tread carefully when making accusations especially IN WRITING. You could not have been a very competent Police Officer in my estimation.

And there's more

I have just had an offer to purchase this coin direct as a result of all the flack.

i may remove it of my nephew agrees So Thank you Caped Crusader

It's still there, so I've sent him a polite message too. :D

It's still there, so I've sent him a polite message too. :D

Me too! Just for the hell of it :D

Lmfao, he'll be getting annoyed, so i'm gonna tip him over with a message to ;)

Edited by azda

And me!!

And me!!

Classic!!! :lol:

How would the law stand on this, now he has been told several times John, is that deemed "knowingly" enough, evidence wise? :blink:

And me!!

Classic!!! :lol:

How would the law stand on this, now he has been told several times John, is that deemed "knowingly" enough, evidence wise? :blink:

It used to be "obtaining property (ie cash) by deception" but the Theft Act was overhauled just as I was leaving in 2009 so I don't know which section it would come under now, but, yes it is a criminal offence. Whether or not there would be enough Police Officers left in Cambridge to be able to spare one for an investigation is of course another matter!

It used to be "obtaining property (ie cash) by deception" but the Theft Act was overhauled just as I was leaving in 2009 so I don't know which section it would come under now, but, yes it is a criminal offence. Whether or not there would be enough Police Officers left in Cambridge to be able to spare one for an investigation is of course another matter!

It must be so frustrating for you as ex police to see these things going on John! It is blatant that this person knows what he is doing. If more than one person told me I had a fake listed I would cancel the auction right away.

I just had a reply from him saying he was "leaving it up to his nephew and the highest bidder to take it to the Royal Mint for identification"...???? :blink:

On a lighter note, he also said "he has had some abuse" about it, so thats nice :D

It must be so frustrating for you as ex police to see these things going on John! It is blatant that this person knows what he is doing. If more than one person told me I had a fake listed I would cancel the auction right away.

I just had a reply from him saying he was "leaving it up to his nephew and the highest bidder to take it to the Royal Mint for identification"...???? :blink:

On a lighter note, he also said "he has had some abuse" about it, so thats nice :D

I got this as a reply :D

Dear phpies,

Please don't bid on the coin I am waiting a descision from my nephew who found the coin on his building site. He takes his metal Detector with him on every site he works because his friend discovered a small hoard of Gold Coins.

I ask you not to bid as I am proposing to take the listing off because I have been unindated with messages that the coin is a Chinese copy therefore to be sure I am sending the Coin to the Royal Mint to have it checked out

- dullahan78

Reply in your email program or through My Messages

Subject: Details about the item: phpies sent a message about 1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny #180937503486

Sent Date: 26-Jul-12 22:11:38 BST

Dear dullahan78,

Hi I'm interested in bidding on th 1860 halfpenny. You stated that this is a metal detector find but the coin is in exceptional condition. Has it been cleaned in any way

Regds

Colin

- phpies

1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny

Item Id: 18093750348

I might of said something. ;)

I got this as a reply :D

Dear phpies,

Please don't bid on the coin I am waiting a descision from my nephew who found the coin on his building site. He takes his metal Detector with him on every site he works because his friend discovered a small hoard of Gold Coins.

I ask you not to bid as I am proposing to take the listing off because I have been unindated with messages that the coin is a Chinese copy therefore to be sure I am sending the Coin to the Royal Mint to have it checked out

- dullahan78

Reply in your email program or through My Messages

Subject: Details about the item: phpies sent a message about 1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny #180937503486

Sent Date: 26-Jul-12 22:11:38 BST

Dear dullahan78,

Hi I'm interested in bidding on th 1860 halfpenny. You stated that this is a metal detector find but the coin is in exceptional condition. Has it been cleaned in any way

Regds

Colin

- phpies

1860 Victorian Copper halfpenny

Item Id: 18093750348

Really? I thought it was dated 1860 :lol:

Gone

Not a laugh, really! This 120953945602 (please do add link if you're on a grown-up computer) is being sold by someone who sells a lot of coins, and the best they can do is put 'POSSIBLY a forgery' at the bottom of the listing!

Fortunately, it's obvious, and would probably be an interesting study piece if you could pin the type down exactly, as it was likely a good counterfeit in its day.

I just dislike the dishonest approach to this, I wouldn't trust him an inch as a distant seller!

I'm back on a proper computer! After a week away in Devon with no mobile signal, no wifi and an out of order pay phone.

Anyway heres the link link

Not a laugh, really! This 120953945602 (please do add link if you're on a grown-up computer) is being sold by someone who sells a lot of coins, and the best they can do is put 'POSSIBLY a forgery' at the bottom of the listing!

Fortunately, it's obvious, and would probably be an interesting study piece if you could pin the type down exactly, as it was likely a good counterfeit in its day.

I just dislike the dishonest approach to this, I wouldn't trust him an inch as a distant seller!

"HAPPY BIDDING!" he says at the end. It's now standing at the exorbitant total of £3.01 - I wouldn't be happy even at that price :D

I'm back on a proper computer! After a week away in Devon with no mobile signal, no wifi and an out of order pay phone.

We still have pay phones down here? My God, we're living up to our country bumpkin caricature! Mind you, I can sympathise - my mobile is Orange and I couldn't get a signal anywhere in my home. Now they've teamed up with T Mobile, if I wait a minute or so, suddenly I get bars appear, then dial manically before they disappear.

"HAPPY BIDDING!" he says at the end. It's now standing at the exorbitant total of £3.01 - I wouldn't be happy even at that price :D

We still have pay phones down here? My God, we're living up to our country bumpkin caricature! Mind you, I can sympathise - my mobile is Orange and I couldn't get a signal anywhere in my home. Now they've teamed up with T Mobile, if I wait a minute or so, suddenly I get bars appear, then dial manically before they disappear.

...and I'm the happy winner :D

Did you have that in your watch list, or is that a bottle of Henry Weston's Vintage Cider in the post for me? :D

Did you have that in your watch list, or is that a bottle of Henry Weston's Vintage Cider in the post for me? :D

In my watch list :P

At least once a week I check ebay using these search words:

contemporary,Counterfeit,forged,forgery,fake,evasive,evasion,imitation,nonregal,"non regal",copies,copy,replica,pattern,exonumia,tiffen,tiffin,george iii,george 3rd,georgius + all the years 1804-1820 etc. - It stirs up loads of crap plus a few interesting items :)

In my watch list :P

At least once a week I check ebay using these search words:

contemporary,Counterfeit,forged,forgery,fake,evasive,evasion,imitation,nonregal,"non regal",copies,copy,replica,pattern,exonumia,tiffen,tiffin,george iii,george 3rd,georgius + all the years 1804-1820 etc. - It stirs up loads of crap plus a few interesting items :)

Pah! I'd love a closer look at some good images when it turns up! ;)