Citizen H Posted November 3, 2025 Posted November 3, 2025 again taking a guess at this, could it be Roman, Denarius coin, ..................? wondering is this is coin for the uk use? Vespasian? possible date? likely to be silver? many thanks "H" Quote
Paddy Posted November 3, 2025 Posted November 3, 2025 The portrait does look like Vespasian, but Titus and Domitian are very similar. The reverse is an Altar, and according to my books that makes Domitian more likely. With so much damage, it is difficult to be sure. Most likely minted in Rome but for use across the whole empire, including Britannia. The closest match I have spotted is S2676 which was minted with Domitian as Caesar under Vespasian and would therefore date 69 to 79 AD. (But I stand to be corrected!) Does appear to be silver. The mass devaluation of coinage and the use of progressively less and less silver had not started in the first century. 1 Quote
Citizen H Posted November 3, 2025 Author Posted November 3, 2025 25 minutes ago, Paddy said: The portrait does look like Vespasian, but Titus and Domitian are very similar. The reverse is an Altar, and according to my books that makes Domitian more likely. With so much damage, it is difficult to be sure. Most likely minted in Rome but for use across the whole empire, including Britannia. The closest match I have spotted is S2676 which was minted with Domitian as Caesar under Vespasian and would therefore date 69 to 79 AD. (But I stand to be corrected!) Does appear to be silver. The mass devaluation of coinage and the use of progressively less and less silver had not started in the first century. Hello Paddy... unless already spotted historically I bought blindly any coins (way back pre computers day) that looked old enough to be a important find, I think the seller claimed it was Roman and I cant remember how much it was but knowing me it was under a £1, 30 odd years ago...... Paddy, many thanks for all of your time taken in dealing with my challenges. all the very best "H" 1 Quote
Citizen H Posted 1 hour ago Author Posted 1 hour ago during a bit of absence I've had some down time to continue with the boxes of eclectic coins that I've hoarded over the many years, I could post photos everything however rubbed Victorian silver duplicates in low condition are now easier to identified so I wont become a time waster. However..... Randomly I happened upon this which I believe to be a denarius.... Googles chucking up all manner of what it may be.....however nothing has matched completely.... Lord only knows where it came from and how much it cost.... As always any suggestions are greatly appreciated...... 👍 Quote
Paddy Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago I think I can see the remains of "IMP TRAIAN ..." on the obverse, so Trajan? Reverse legend seems to have some Greek letters, so possibly Roman provincial. 1 Quote
Coinery Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago I wish I had enough knowledge and experience to collect Roman coinage! To start would send me right back to scratch, where I’d spend the next 10 years buying duds and fakes at full market value, without a single bargain. I think they’re a fabulous thing to have, though! Quote
Paddy Posted 56 minutes ago Posted 56 minutes ago I always like to see them, and have got better at Identifying them, but I have resisted collecting them. That is one huge rabbit hole to go down! 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.