British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
TomJJ

Can’t post in the “wanted” area

Hello good folk 

This is my first post , I’ve attempted to leave a “Wanted” request but can’t , do I need a minimum post count 

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, TomJJ said:

Hello good folk 

This is my first post , I’ve attempted to leave a “Wanted” request but can’t , do I need a minimum post count 

Thanks in advance. 

I wasn't sure of the rules on this, so looked them up. It appears you need a post count of 30 before you can post in the "wanted" section - link  

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I wasn't sure of the rules on this, so looked them up. It appears you need a post count of 30 before you can post in the "wanted" section - link  

Thank you sir . I will start posting 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomJJ said:

Thank you sir . I will start posting 

Or alternatively, say what you are looking for.

15 hours ago, Rob said:

Or alternatively, say what you are looking for.

I’m hoping to source a very rare bird a LCGS 85 1938 Farthing I believe there is six in existence , but i maybe wrong , 

Quite honestly I would buy a selection of these unslabbed at a fraction of the price of a slabbed “best in pop” example, they are not rare or expensive even in BU. Get the best example slabbed if you must. The prices charged for a grade label are ridiculous!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404340427938?hash=item5e24914ca2:g:kDkAAOSwlOhij-oT&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwO6X529pYAswSB6563ZE%2F5W3Ntex2vGCFv23xHlbBrf19gheR%2F7eIv4CTvwgl0U%2FanvrMVawbYbii%2BDV3qPvbI1VQkLYJzg7zKjgzpMFvtAhxg7GisNH4xAu9W9Jo3HfYw12kugIt3a%2FWWfaw58dRdJR8lmIOAu0%2BPTWk5mQcJoXVW3CBL8yNebeqpIqonhAuhoKFliQc8uvHSKYj1ZAJC4sbuKquL4gDpuvxlcouO%2BggWHuNwEHwx7NiJeYxGK1sw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5qD5fueYg

For example the MS66 example above. Or make that vendor an extremely low offer. I wouldn’t get too hung up about the (L)CGS brand,  I don’t think they are slabbing at present.

Jerry

• Like 1

Yes. Just because something is rare as a graded example, doesn't mean that others, possibly better, don't exist in considerable numbers.

The whole 'top pop' thing really doesn't mean much IMHO. Always buy the coin, not the slab.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

Yes. Just because something is rare as a graded example, doesn't mean that others, possibly better, don't exist in considerable numbers.

The whole 'top pop' thing really doesn't mean much IMHO. Always buy the coin, not the slab.

Indeed, with the LCGS slabbing, the "top pop" was just based on the coins they personally slabbed, not the entire extant population.  

Thank you gentlemen for your advice and help … I have a few options now 

again thanks you 

If you are adamant that you want the coins slabbed then there are a few people on Facebook who will facilitate NGC grading if you do not want to deal with it yourself. I echo all of the above, buy the coin not the slab and take 'top pop' stats with a pinch of salt!

On 6/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, TomJJ said:

I’m hoping to source a very rare bird a LCGS 85 1938 Farthing I believe there is six in existence , but i maybe wrong ,

That's a ludicrous price. You shouldn't pay more than around £25 (at most) for a BU 1938.

15 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's a ludicrous price. You shouldn't pay more than around £25 (at most) for a BU 1938.

Yes I totally agree , sadly I’m genuinely struggling to find any BU 1938 … I’ve been searching for several years now , this is why I thought it would be simpler just to purchase a slabbed coin . 

18 minutes ago, TomJJ said:

Yes I totally agree , sadly I’m genuinely struggling to find any BU 1938 … I’ve been searching for several years now , this is why I thought it would be simpler just to purchase a slabbed coin . 

Likely a daft question but have you tried a lot of the main dealers out there? A few of 1938 Farthings listed as BU for sale but without pictures so you would need to request them.

Literally all , I think as it’s a relatively  cheap coin it’s not at the top of most dealers list .