Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
23 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I remember in the late 60s I'd calculated that if I cashed in savings certificates I'd probably near enough have the £5/5s/6d the local bookshop had quoted me to order a copy. Somehow though, there were parties to go to, albums to buy, bicycles to repair .. and I never bought it then. You're right, a fiver was a small fortune back then, though still reasonable value for Peck.

It is an amazing book, and of course being it about coins from a previous era, it never ages. The information gathered and presented, being as useful and relevant today, as it was in 1958. Despite a few new varieties being discovered since then.

I got mine for £50 hammer at the September 2016 DNW auction. The £50 being a reduction from the £60 lower estimate, by the auctioneer, as nobody else was interested. The buyer had written February 1967 as the date purchased, and above that, in pencil, is £5-12-6 as the retail price then operating. 

The book is so large and comprehensive, that in checking the price and date before posting on here, I started reading the section about Tayor restrikes. Really interesting stuff.  

Have you got one now, Chris?

  • Like 1
Posted
16 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It is an amazing book, and of course being it about coins from a previous era, it never ages. The information gathered and presented, being as useful and relevant today, as it was in 1958. Despite a few new varieties being discovered since then.

I got mine for £50 hammer at the September 2016 DNW auction. The £50 being a reduction from the £60 lower estimate, by the auctioneer, as nobody else was interested. The buyer had written February 1967 as the date purchased, and above that, in pencil, is £5-12-6 as the retail price then operating. 

The book is so large and comprehensive, that in checking the price and date before posting on here, I started reading the section about Tayor restrikes. Really interesting stuff.  

Have you got one now, Chris?

I do - cost me £105 at auction in 2002 or 2003. It's the 1964 edition and it had its dust cover which has sadly become rather torn and marmalised since I got it. :(

Posted
24 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I do - cost me £105 at auction in 2002 or 2003. It's the 1964 edition and it had its dust cover which has sadly become rather torn and marmalised since I got it. :(

Indeed, mine's also the 1964 edition, but no dust cover.

When you think of the time, hard work and sheer dedication that went into producing the book, you really do have to take your hat off to Peck. 

I doubt we shall see his like again.  

  • Like 1
Posted
On 11/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, DrLarry said:

Does anyone know the rarity of the 1854 half penny V over inverted A ?

I've seen about a dozen over the years, nearly all lower grader. Are you asking because I have one currently for sale on ebay?

Posted
2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed, mine's also the 1964 edition, but no dust cover.

When you think of the time, hard work and sheer dedication that went into producing the book, you really do have to take your hat off to Peck. 

I doubt we shall see his like again.  

I got a first edition for about £100 about 5 years ago, from Canada I think. It really is a great book.

  • Like 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

I got a first edition for about £100 about 5 years ago, from Canada I think. It really is a great book.

Well done. You don't see many first editions. They're mostly the 1964 or 1970 reprints.

  • Like 1
Posted
39 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well done. You don't see many first editions. They're mostly the 1964 or 1970 reprints.

It's often less good to have the first edition of a coin work - as a lot of work goes into updating or correcting things! I have a first edition Freeman but I wish I had the 1980s second edition...

Posted
3 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

It's often less good to have the first edition of a coin work - as a lot of work goes into updating or correcting things! I have a first edition Freeman but I wish I had the 1980s second edition...

That is true, but it's the cache of a first edition which is important.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That is true, but it's the cache of a first edition which is important.

I'm not sure cachet applies to learned numismatic works? It's very much a minority market! Ask 100 people if they know what book Peck wrote and I'd be very surprised if even 1 got it right (it would definitely be a Pointless answer :lol: )...

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 2
Posted

My second edition Peck with dust jacket cost me £12 from a secondhand bookshop in Abergavenny in the early ‘80’s, when I was a junior doctor in the local hospital,  and freshly married (same wife). It seemed expensive to me then,  when I was buying lustrous Victorian pennies for a few pounds from Lloyd Bennett in the Tuesday market. The book is still in my bookcase,  but I use a ‘reading copy’ without dj that I acquired somewhere since.

Jerry

  • Like 6
Posted
1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'm not sure cachet applies to learned numismatic works? It's very much a minority market! Ask 100 people if they know what book Peck wrote and I'd be very surprised if even 1 got it right (it would definitely be a Pointless answer :lol: )...

OK, opinions will vary. I'd sooner have one anyway. 

 

  • Haha 1
Posted
On 11/20/2022 at 11:42 PM, 1949threepence said:

Depends how you define "recent". Peck referred to small date 1858 specimens, over 60 years ago. 

 

48 minutes ago, alfnail said:

All very interesting..... but ebay's best offerings? 😁 

I think it may have started with my post above, Ian, and went on from there into a full blown discussion about Peck.

Such mini debates are often engendered by well meaning and innocuous observations.

Posted
22 hours ago, DrLarry said:

It is so easy to lose the will to keep going when trying to understand the obverses of the 1860 penny ............:wacko:

I cannot think of anything better than counting teeth on these😁

  • Haha 1
Posted
On 11/25/2022 at 10:37 AM, DrLarry said:

I suppose it has one advantage it saves having to  watch football....but then I am a man that watches paint dry most days .  I suspect  someone will develop an app one day soon that counts teeth 

No need - my dentist already does, and the job is easier every time I visit. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Again - same seller as before - this seems to be a great offer. But do I detect verd by the second N of Britannia?

link  

Posted
13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Again - same seller as before - this seems to be a great offer. But do I detect verd by the second N of Britannia?

link  

Yes, looks green. I thought that they called it green toning or patina these days😁

Posted
3 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Yes, looks green. I thought that they called it green toning or patina these days😁

Euphemism for "it's really not verdigris, just your imagination".

  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted
4 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Pretty pleased with this for £40. :)

Isle of Man Atlas ½d 1811 Pridmore 59 (6)s.jpg

Very nice.

The old fashioned "Manks", rather than "Manx".

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Posted
7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very nice.

The old fashioned "Manks", rather than "Manx".

or, minted by the Glazer family... :lol:

  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
Posted

Not my worst deal on eBay by far! I managed to match the obverse die to another better example, though, to be fair, the reverse is pretty obvious anyway!

One of a pair of coins for £25

Not a keeper, of course, but should offset something else in the wallet I hope?

70C63516-1CC3-4DD4-8F20-3E34FE36154F.png

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Coinery said:

Not my worst deal on eBay by far! I managed to match the obverse die to another better example, though, to be fair, the reverse is pretty obvious anyway!

One of a pair of coins for £25

Not a keeper, of course, but should offset something else in the wallet I hope?

70C63516-1CC3-4DD4-8F20-3E34FE36154F.png

That is an exceptional spot. Well done! I dread to recollect what I paid for my two lis pennies (ex Comber), certainly four figures. I assume it’s not dated 1558 on the obverse?

Jerry

Posted
1 hour ago, jelida said:

That is an exceptional spot. Well done! I dread to recollect what I paid for my two lis pennies (ex Comber), certainly four figures. I assume it’s not dated 1558 on the obverse?

Jerry

Wow, two proper Lis pennies, that’s some collection you have there! 
Sadly no date, that would’ve been phenomenal. The region of the date is unfortunately too poor (I’ve only the pictures my wife has sent me from the mother-in-law’s at the moment), but I managed to die-match it to this one.

D06B2EC7-AFA2-44F3-9CE7-94F66C650406.jpeg

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...