absence of uniformity Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago (edited) 4 minutes ago, DrLarry said: Is this in your own collection? No i just started looking at coins online and the 3rd coin I looked at is this example. https://dorsetcoincompany.co.uk/product/1865-bronze-halfpenny-victoria-young-head/ Edited 13 hours ago by absence of uniformity 1 Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago (edited) This 1865 is on ebay listed as square colons. Edited 13 hours ago by absence of uniformity 1 Quote
DrLarry Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago 4 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: This 1865 is on ebay listed as square colons. Yes thats one of mine i like putting things on ebay to get people to look at the site if im trying to raise money for the charity Quote
DrLarry Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago 11 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: No i just started looking at coins online and the 3rd coin I looked at is this example. https://dorsetcoincompany.co.uk/product/1865-bronze-halfpenny-victoria-young-head/ They are a lot more obvious in high grades because I think most people would not notice the square edges on worn coins . Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago heres another not on ebay. Just found a third also. so not including your coins thats 3 in 10mins. Quote
DrLarry Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago (edited) 1 hour ago, absence of uniformity said: heres another not on ebay. Just found a third also. so not including your coins thats 3 in 10mins. That's good so we know there are 6 then so far. It took me 3 years to find them on ebay but I never think to look in other places for any coins except ebay. Edited 12 hours ago by DrLarry I have found it much easier to find a dozen or so 65 /3s although the second type with the small three is less common I've only found 3 or 4 Quote
DrLarry Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago 1 hour ago, absence of uniformity said: heres another not on ebay. Just found a third also. so not including your coins thats 3 in 10mins. I suppose there will always be an initial flurry once the information is known. The reason for discussing it is to try to estimate the numbers to work out the rarity Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago 5 minutes ago, DrLarry said: I suppose there will always be an initial flurry once the information is known. The reason for discussing it is to try to estimate the numbers to work out the rarity A quick small random sample of 12 coins, and instantly find 3 examples, I think itis fair to assume the surviving population is actually quite high. A 25% frequency out of such a small sample suggests this wasnt a rare occurrence from a single pair of die imo which is not worth much 😉 Quote
DrLarry Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago 10 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: A quick small random sample of 12 coins, and instantly find 3 examples, I think itis fair to assume the surviving population is actually quite high. A 25% frequency out of such a small sample suggests this wasnt a rare occurrence from a single pair of die imo which is not worth much 😉 I suspect time will tell. Im not sure i would agree with you statistical analysis but who am I but a stupid scientist who collects bits of old metal. Before today they were very rare because no one had ever noticed. In my opinion having looked at about 1000 1865 pennies on ebay alone I have found 4. DID you purchase the ones you spotted? Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago 10 minutes ago, DrLarry said: I suspect time will tell. Im not sure i would agree with you statistical analysis but who am I but a stupid scientist who collects bits of old metal. Before today they were very rare because no one had ever noticed. In my opinion having looked at about 1000 1865 pennies on ebay alone I have found 4. DID you purchase the ones you spotted? My analysis was purely based on numbers presented to me by the tiny short sample. I didnt purchase anything. I do actively look for documented/published types, and keep my eye out for anything out the ordinary although I dont collect halfpennies I have gathered a fair few of the overdates and found a few rarer pairings, I find the series alot more complicated than pennies and I dont get the same thrill. I think because the HP's lack the popularity of the Penny Im not so driven to invest the time to search. Quote
DrLarry Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago 11 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: My analysis was purely based on numbers presented to me by the tiny short sample. I didnt purchase anything. I do actively look for documented/published types, and keep my eye out for anything out the ordinary although I dont collect halfpennies I have gathered a fair few of the overdates and found a few rarer pairings, I find the series alot more complicated than pennies and I dont get the same thrill. I think because the HP's lack the popularity of the Penny Im not so driven to invest the time to search. Yes but sample analysis is a little more complicated in the real world. As I say time will tell how many will show themselves at least people like you now know what to look for. Yes they are a lot more complicated and there are some extremely rare die pairings. I think i have all the known varieties now including all the rare errors but my interest " expertise" is in the 1860 61 and 62 half pennies and more recently the 73 and 74s . It has taken 10 years to collect them all. Sure I have most of the pennies overdates and errors perhaps the only left to find is the VIGTORIA. For me it's the discovery and the hunt and increasing the knowledge as the records are lost, successive generations of collectors add to the collective knowledge. The biggest problem going forward is that we must encourage new collectors and be enthusiastic about new knowledge. It's an obligation imo. Quote
Ukstu Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago Would the terminology be lozenge shaped? They look lozenge rather than square. Stu. Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 9 hours ago, DrLarry said: Yes but sample analysis is a little more complicated in the real world. As I say time will tell how many will show themselves at least people like you now know what to look for. Yes they are a lot more complicated and there are some extremely rare die pairings. I think i have all the known varieties now including all the rare errors but my interest " expertise" is in the 1860 61 and 62 half pennies and more recently the 73 and 74s . It has taken 10 years to collect them all. Sure I have most of the pennies overdates and errors perhaps the only left to find is the VIGTORIA. For me it's the discovery and the hunt and increasing the knowledge as the records are lost, successive generations of collectors add to the collective knowledge. The biggest problem going forward is that we must encourage new collectors and be enthusiastic about new knowledge. It's an obligation imo. Another one 4/16 (Not the best picture) but can clearly see. Quote
DrLarry Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 6 hours ago, Ukstu said: Would the terminology be lozenge shaped? They look lozenge rather than square. Stu. I'll perhaps image them under the microscope for you Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 2 minutes ago, DrLarry said: I'll perhaps image them under the microscope for you As sample size grows the numbers are coming down 4 of 36 now. Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 59 minutes ago Posted 59 minutes ago (edited) 13 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: As sample size grows the numbers are coming down 4 of 36 now. Im going to stop there at 4/40. Edited 58 minutes ago by absence of uniformity Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.