mrbadexample Posted February 17, 2021 Author Posted February 17, 2021 5 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said: Can't tell for sure, but I am leaning towards an Obverse 4 or 6..... I think there are only 2 leaves in the third group. Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 17, 2021 Author Posted February 17, 2021 5 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said: If I did this correctly, it should link to different variants of the F-274a that I posted a while back... http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/3664-coin-aquisition-of-the-week/?page=30&tab=comments#comment-39212 Brilliant thank you. It appears to match very closely with this one, with the exception of the vertical line. Perhaps an earlier die state? Do you consider these to be F274 variants or F274A variants? Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 17, 2021 Posted February 17, 2021 Just now, mrbadexample said: Brilliant thank you. It appears to match very closely with this one, with the exception of the vertical line. Perhaps an earlier die state? Do you consider these to be F274 variants or F274A variants? My personal assessment and attributions are to categorize them as F-274a variants. Inasmuch as the F-274a is considered to actually be a 6 over higher 6, unlike the F-282a which is clearly a 6 over 8, I consider all the various incarnations of 6 over 6 to be F-274a variants. Again, these are only my thoughts and how I have classified them in my collection.. 1 Quote
Bernie Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 On 2/16/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said: Can't tell for sure, but I am leaning towards an Obverse 4 or 6..... Not a 4 Gary, so that leaves 6 ? Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 22, 2021 Posted February 22, 2021 12 minutes ago, Bernie said: Not a 4 Gary, so that leaves 6 ? From the image, I don't think it is a 2, 3, 5, or 7.... (1 is automatically eliminated inasmuch as the coin does not have a beaded border..) Leaving either 4 or 6. If you don't think it's a 4, then it is most likely an obverse 6. Again, nothing substitutes for direct examination.... Quote
Bernie Posted February 23, 2021 Posted February 23, 2021 On 2/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, Bronze & Copper Collector said: From the image, I don't think it is a 2, 3, 5, or 7.... (1 is automatically eliminated inasmuch as the coin does not have a beaded border..) Leaving either 4 or 6. If you don't think it's a 4, then it is most likely an obverse 6. Again, nothing substitutes for direct examination.... Colons after FD too wide for Obverse 4, I believe. Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 24, 2021 Author Posted February 24, 2021 Can either of you tell me what eliminates obverse 2 please? Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 24, 2021 Posted February 24, 2021 (edited) 5 hours ago, mrbadexample said: Can either of you tell me what eliminates obverse 2 please? MEA CULPA, NOTHING ELIMINATES IT.. Upon further close examination, I'll recant my opinion and state that I now consider and believe YOUR original assessment of it being an obverse 2 to be the correct one. It only serves to reinforce my belief that NOTHING substitutes for DIRECT EXAMINATION OF THE COIN IN HAND!!! Edited February 24, 2021 by Bronze & Copper Collector Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 24, 2021 Author Posted February 24, 2021 Thanks, it's hard to be sure sometimes. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 24, 2021 Posted February 24, 2021 50 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Thanks, it's hard to be sure sometimes. Indeed.... And reinforces the difficulty of working from images... Quote
copper123 Posted February 24, 2021 Posted February 24, 2021 7 hours ago, mrbadexample said: Can either of you tell me what eliminates obverse 2 please? A hammer? 1 1 Quote
Michael-Roo Posted February 24, 2021 Posted February 24, 2021 26 minutes ago, copper123 said: A hammer? 😄 Good one. Quote
mrbadexample Posted February 24, 2021 Author Posted February 24, 2021 1 hour ago, copper123 said: A hammer? Someone's had a go... Quote
Bernie Posted February 25, 2021 Posted February 25, 2021 All examples of 2+C that I have seen have the die crack evidence, through "A" of "VICTORIA" Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 25, 2021 Posted February 25, 2021 I thought we'd already agreed it was Obverse 5 (the dink in the forehead)? Quote
Zo Arms Posted April 28, 2021 Posted April 28, 2021 Could someone confirm my ID on this please. I think it's reverse L. Gary kindly forwarded the Draycott articles, which is where I found the pointings. A of half to a tooth. 1 Quote
mrbadexample Posted April 29, 2021 Author Posted April 29, 2021 8 hours ago, Zo Arms said: 12 + L Freeman F322 ? I concur. 1 Quote
Bernie Posted April 29, 2021 Posted April 29, 2021 9 hours ago, mrbadexample said: I concur. Could be 11+L if you like. LOL ! 1 Quote
Zo Arms Posted April 29, 2021 Posted April 29, 2021 11 hours ago, mrbadexample said: I concur. Thank you for confirming for me. Means a lot. Quote
Zo Arms Posted April 29, 2021 Posted April 29, 2021 1 hour ago, Bernie said: Could be 11+L if you like. LOL ! However.... I have neither the knowledge nor experience to be taken seriously so these are purely amateur observations. Using Mal Lewendons photos in the thread '1874 half penny' 2015, the only concrete difference that I can spot is the pointing of the second T in Britt. Obverse 11 shows it pointing smack bang to a tooth. On obverse 12 the tooth is slightly to the left and the upright noticeably takes in some of the adjacent gap. Transfering this observation to the side by side obverses shown in Freeman, page 89, the difference can be seen with a shift of the eyes. On my coin the T is smack bang. Obverse 11? Quote
Zo Arms Posted April 29, 2021 Posted April 29, 2021 Ive said this because I couldn't quite get the R pointings on my coin to match Mal's pointings for obverse 12. Bob. Quote
mrbadexample Posted April 29, 2021 Author Posted April 29, 2021 3 hours ago, Bernie said: Could be 11+L if you like. LOL ! I can't tell the difference! I only checked the reverse. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted April 29, 2021 Posted April 29, 2021 On 4/28/2021 at 4:16 PM, Zo Arms said: Could someone confirm my ID on this please. I think it's reverse L. Gary kindly forwarded the Draycott articles, which is where I found the pointings. A of half to a tooth. From the posted images I would concur with your identification and assessment. 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.