British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Nons "What crap has he bought this time?" Thread.....

I agree with Paulus.

£80 is far too much and the edge knock I just wouldn't want it.

Thanks Peter.... I am having to fight the urge to buy (the nicest I can afford at the time) stuff just to build a collection. I really do need to focus on on something but every time I think 'yes thats what I want to focus on' something else grabs my attention. I am sure I will calm down eventually... wont I?!? :wacko:

A very quick search and coinery has a far nicer 1917 1/- for £24.50

AJW coins has a CGS 60 ditto for £30.00.

Worth having a search

Are they both not shillings though Peter? The one I was offered was a sixpence.

Mine's gone. However, of importance here Non is your expenditure? If you've got £80 to spend on a single coin to build your collection, why not spend it on an £80 UNC or decent EF of a different type alrogether? Or even buy 2 £40 coins if it's about building a collection up?

It's a pretty decent budget you have for a 20thC coin, don't rush into it! You'll just be giving yourself a resell headache! :)

It's not a great coin at all, either, to be honest, whatever the mintage! :(

Also a small piece of advice, take spink prices with a pinch of salt.

I use Rotographic in the main as its on my phone but you know the score... buyers want Rotographic prices and sellers use Spink...

I use Rotographic in the main as its on my phone but you know the score... buyers want Rotographic prices and sellers use Spink...

Sounds like you already know the score? :)

Gvf for the 1844 halfpenny for me though the reverse looks slightly better say GVF/VGVF but you have to remember apart from the comon dates of 1853 ,1854 and 1858 these coins are quite rare in the higher grades , good job there are few halfpenny fans around or they would be very expensive.

Sound has this one listed at £95. Not perfect but nicer to my eyes...

george-v-silver-sixpence1917.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I have told the seller I will pass on it. I know I keep saying thanks but all of this input is really helping me and I appreciate it.

Bullion value and looks as though he's taken to cleaning it, it looks polished from the OBV picture.

I know he has not cleaned it. Im pretty sure he got it from the Midland coin fair as a VF, think he paid about £250 for it.

Your father-in-law is a collector too? That's handy. may help to keep the wife on side ! ;)

If only! I wouldn't go as far as saying he is a collector but he came to take a look with me one Sunday and decided to buy something.

Can I have some advice on my 1900 Half crown please? The Lions in the lower quarter have no faces at all but there seems to be very little wear around them or on the bodies. Is this just natural wear? Down to the die being clogged? Any other reason?

post-8826-0-09903800-1440018933_thumb.jppost-8826-0-01352300-1440018934_thumb.jp

Vickie has seen a lot use. :mellow:

The half crown i would grade as about EF too many bag marks and light wear

I also have this, its a high mintage year but the condition seems ok. These are not great pictures but I will try to sort some better ones once I get chance.

post-8826-0-40610000-1440071382_thumb.jppost-8826-0-73676500-1440071379_thumb.jp

this is my MS65 if it helps at all?

I purchased for £175 but that's beside probably the slab speaking :P

post-7823-0-19689500-1440096166_thumb.jppost-7823-0-80064800-1440096174_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Looks like A/Unc , though the picture could be a lot clearer , very well struck as well

Some better pics that show more of the wear on the 1915 Half Crown and my 1936 Florin to follow

post-8826-0-85866200-1440099523_thumb.jppost-8826-0-61402900-1440099524_thumb.jp