British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

goomolique

Coin auctions.

I took part in auction for the first time (apart from ebay) last week at London Coins

and today at DNW.

Got couple of coins and im hungry for more:)

So what other auction houses are there in UK?

Which one is next?

Thanks

:) Much more fun than eBay isn't it!

As a rule, much better for both buyers and sellers. There is usually less uncertainty as to what will land through the letterbox and the quality offered tends to be better. :)

Edited by Rob

I didn't get anything today. :(

Neither did i. Was close on 3 lots though.

Oh yeah.

As a rule, much better for both buyers and sellers. There is usually less uncertainty as to what will land through the letterbox and the quality offered tends to be better. :)

Oh yes definitely.

So going back to OP question :)

Whats next?

Spink and Baldwins next week and St James's the week after

I'd say eBay only for the low end material and stick to the auction houses for anything better say >£50...?then

Spink is coming

Baldwin coinex

StJames

And for a more global approach, go to sixbid.:

http://www.sixbid.com

I'm a bit seasoned in this space and receive most of the auction catalogues automatically (you can also pay for this service from their web sites)

Edited by Nicholas

There is normally a Baldwins auction at the London Coin Fair (next one Nov 1)

I won three lots today and four at London Coins last week.

I tend to bid at LC, DNW and Heritage. Not that there is anything wrong with the others but I am comfortable with these.

There's also Warwick & Warwick, but they aren't what they were more than 10 years ago.

I watched a couple of pennies today, but wasn't completely enamoured so happy to let them pass. I won 3 lots at LC.

Will be trying to follow all the usual auctions with interest!

Numisbids.com is a useful site for the more 'obscure' European auctions.

I thought DNW started today and so missed out on what i wanted to bid on yesterday, one of which went cheap. So i have scampered around today and got lots 2888 and lot 2944, the 1st lot has a rare Liz 1599 anchor mark 6d in

I forgot about until noon.The couldn't get on.

Edited by Peter

I missed out on all of the lots I tried yesterday but got one today. :D

I was actually only going to bid on two lots. And I got those two for quite a bit less than I expected to pay. So I spent the money 'saved' on a third lot :D

Edited by jaggy

So what auction is next?

Warwick and Warwick next week.

You have just missed the Kunker sale in Germany, but should probably be grateful as it was a bloodbath.

Thanks Rob.

No i havent missed it.

I was outbid on the only lot i was interested in.

Thanks Rob.

No i havent missed it.

I was outbid on the only lot i was interested in.

There were some big, big prices in that sale. Henry 8th groat, 3800 hammer; ditto for a Mary groat, and today, 60000 for a 1692 5 guineas. :blink:

I had two I was looking at and got 1. The 1709 E* 1/- hammered at 2200 which was too much, but I did pick up the unique Langport Edward the Confessor Pointed Helmet penny for a very cheap 3200. I was expecting it to go to 5 or 6 which would have been in keeping with the other prices. I'm chuffed and have been walking around all week with a large grin on my face. :)

Does that mean you'd have gone to 5 or 6 Rob? ;) Nice coin.

That 1727 shilling was a bit high at 1400 EUR I thought :( though the estimates were pretty low for a lot of these I'd have said.

Oh and this 1754 farthing. Its very nice but the best part of a grand for a 1754??

Yep. That's what I had set aside for it.

Only one other Ed Conf Langport penny has gone through salerooms since WW2 and that was the ex-Lockett and Elmore-Jones expanding cross. Given there are only 9 or 10 coins of the mint in private hands and most of these are Cnuts, I'm just amazed at the lack of interest in what is a significant rarity. The Shrewsbury pyramids sold two lots later went for 1900. That's a relatively common type for the mint and did have a super portrait, but at 60% of the price there isn't much difference between the two.

Yep. That's what I had set aside for it.

Only one other Ed Conf Langport penny has gone through salerooms since WW2 and that was the ex-Lockett and Elmore-Jones expanding cross. Given there are only 9 or 10 coins of the mint in private hands and most of these are Cnuts, I'm just amazed at the lack of interest in what is a significant rarity. The Shrewsbury pyramids sold two lots later went for 1900. That's a relatively common type for the mint and did have a super portrait, but at 60% of the price there isn't much difference between the two.

How's this one got through then? British buyers didn't bother to read the German description? Erm... :huh: Crazy as you say in comparison to what the other coins went for.

I'm going to start collecting paper clips I think.

Oh and this 1754 farthing. Its very nice but the best part of a grand for a 1754??

Ridiculous. It's a lovely coin for type collectors, but the 1754 is pretty common having been continuously minted way past that date (same with 1758 shillings).

I did mention Künker were expensive. They're getting to Heritage proportions

I did mention Künker were expensive. They're getting to Heritage proportions

Kunker aren't setting the prices, it is the explosion in freely available information that is responsible for the prices realised. 20 years ago you would have said "Kunker? Who?" with only a few people kept up to date regarding foreign sale info. Today, that info is available to all and sundry who can bid from the comfort of their armchair half a world away. There is the reason for your price increase.

Like many things, the internet is a double edged sword. It enables the purchaser to find cheaper than might be locally available, but for competitive bidding, the number of potential contestants expands to proportions you could never have imagined 20 or even 10 years ago.