British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1905 Florin - fair price for the grade?

This one is currently on a dealer's website at £175, about right or wait for better? Opinions welcome as ever!

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

This one is currently on a dealer's website at £175, about right or wait for better? Opinions welcome as ever!

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

Depends how much you want to spend. Better are available and should be found in a reasonable timeframe. They are nowhere near as rare as the halfcrown or shilling in high grade, but are still scarce. Aim to pay 2-3 times that for a 1903 or 4 in similar grade.

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

Depends how much you want to spend. Better are available and should be found in a reasonable timeframe. They are nowhere near as rare as the halfcrown or shilling in high grade, but are still scarce. Aim to pay 2-3 times that for a 1903 or 4 in similar grade.

Thanks as ever Rob, priceless advice ... but why are 1905 florins priced at 3-4 times 1903 and 1904 (just going by latest Tony Clayton prices)? Is this an example where price guides are massively wrong?

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

Thanks as ever Rob, priceless advice ... but why are 1905 florins priced at 3-4 times 1903 and 1904 (just going by latest Tony Clayton prices)? Is this an example where price guides are massively wrong?

This is what his website says you might expect to pay a dealer for Eddie 7 florins, is this way out Rob?

ok, it wont let me post another image at the moment, in summary:

1903 VF 35 EF 120

1904 VF 40 EF 150

1905 VF 160 EF 600

If so, I am using the wrong information to guide me!

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

The price posted isn't excessive. I would have said that a 1903 or 1904 looking as the image does would cost about £100 with the 1905 reasonable value at £200+. Mint state you can name your price within reason for most years, but that requires a lot of patience to obtain one. 1905 florins quite often appear in lower grades. It is above EF that the price differentials really kick in.

I'd say that the EF prices are too low for 1903 and 1904. Having said that, the market has softened of late for mid grade pieces whatever they are unless highly desirable. £120 for an EF 1903 seems very cheap.

Edited by Rob

I was kicking myself last year when i did'nt go for a 1905 Florin in UNC. Pictures were to ropey to dish out the amount and trying to haggle did'nt work this time unfortunately

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

This is what his website says you might expect to pay a dealer for Eddie 7 florins, is this way out Rob?

1903 VF 35 EF 120

1904 VF 40 EF 150

1905 VF 160 EF 600

You seem to readily rely on Tony Claytons website for prices Paul. Go through some auction houses realised prices and check those, those will be more up to date for this year. A little homework goes a long way

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

The price posted isn't excessive. I would have said that a 1903 or 1904 looking as the image does would cost about £100 with the 1905 reasonable value at £200+. Mint state you can name your price within reason for most years, but that requires a lot of patience to obtain one. 1905 florins quite often appear in lower grades. It is above EF that the price differentials really kick in.

I'd say that the EF prices are too low for 1903 and 1904. Having said that, the market has softened of late for mid grade pieces whatever they are unless highly desirable. £120 for an EF 1903 seems very cheap.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought at first you were suggesting that 1903 and 1904 florins would command higher prices in a similar grade as the 1905 pics ... now I think you are saying that £175 might be a fair price unless I want to wait for a better one. Thing is, I don't really want to pay top dollar to get all Eddie silver in GEF/AUNC, much more interested in early milled with my budget ... and have thought for a while that high grade Eddie 7 silver is a good investment, maybe aside from 1903 HC and 1905 SH and HC, but that is a different matter altogether!

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

1903 VF 35 EF 120

1904 VF 40 EF 150

1905 VF 160 EF 600

You seem to readily rely on Tony Claytons website for prices Paul. Go through some auction houses realised prices and check those, those will be more up to date for this year. A little homework goes a long way

Thanks Dave and noted, it is true that I use Spink and Clayton et al as a guide, realising that I might be able to obtain the coins in those grades at auctions etc at half the dealers'/listed prices if I do my homework ... but I was trusting them as relative price guides, i.e. 1905 florins realising 3-4 times more than 1903 and 1904, perhaps I shouldn't! Always learning!

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

1903 VF 35 EF 120

1904 VF 40 EF 150

1905 VF 160 EF 600

Thanks Dave and noted, it is true that I use Spink and Clayton et al as a guide, realising that I might be able to obtain the coins in those grades at auctions etc at half the dealers'/listed prices if I do my homework ... but I was trusting them as relative price guides, i.e. 1905 florins realising 3-4 times more than 1903 and 1904, perhaps I shouldn't! Always learning!

Bear in mind that the price you see is not including commission, so you'd have to add about 20% roughly

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

1903 VF 35 EF 120

1904 VF 40 EF 150

1905 VF 160 EF 600

It depends on the grade. In VF or a bit better the differential isn't so great as above EF reflecting the supply of material. A lot of so called rarities are only rare in high grade. A good example is the 1925 halfcrown. 2, 3, 4 years ago(?) there were over 4000 low grade 1925 halfcrowns in 11 lots in an Australian sale. That amounted to some serious ballast. To suggest that it is worth £30 based on Spink prices in fine is clearly nonsense. It isn't worth paying 6 or 7 times that of a common date in fine unless all those rarities were melted.

Try these:

Coin Archives

mcsearch

1905_FL_Rev01.png

1905_FL_Obv01.png

Thanks for the clarification, I thought at first you were suggesting that 1903 and 1904 florins would command higher prices in a similar grade as the 1905 pics ... now I think you are saying that £175 might be a fair price unless I want to wait for a better one. Thing is, I don't really want to pay top dollar to get all Eddie silver in GEF/AUNC, much more interested in early milled with my budget ... and have thought for a while that high grade Eddie 7 silver is a good investment, maybe aside from 1903 HC and 1905 SH and HC, but that is a different matter altogether!

I think the price is probably fair - it's a good grade but not a good colour (one example where a BRIEF dip might do it some good!). Remember that most 1905 silver takes its cues from the halfcrown and shilling prices; other denominations are nowhere near as rare. If you're unwilling to pay a very high price for top grade, I'd say that's not a bad example to go for, especially if you're willing to experiment gently with its colour.

High grade Edward VII is scarce indeed, but I'd not say it was a good investment as prices are sky high already, especially compared with 10 years ago. If you can get it for the right price, then bite the seller's hand off, but don't pay book price for the commoner items (1902, 1906, 1907, and possibly 1910).

I essentially agree with Peck about this coin price wise and most of his commentary, but would suggest a milder treatment should you purchase it such as trying acetone first.

IMO, this is also not an investment grade, but think that the higher grade E7 pieces may have some room for upward growth ('03-'05 2/6, '08 2/6, '03-'05 2/-, '05 1/-).

I essentially agree with Peck about this coin price wise and most of his commentary, but would suggest a milder treatment should you purchase it such as trying acetone first.

IMO, this is also not an investment grade, but think that the higher grade E7 pieces may have some room for upward growth ('03-'05 2/6, '08 2/6, '03-'05 2/-, '05 1/-).

Yes, probably best to try a gentler remedy first - if you dip a piece like that, it should be for only 10 seconds max.

I'd add '03-'04 and '08-'09 shillings to that list, though the latter should be minimum EF.

Yes, probably best to try a gentler remedy first - if you dip a piece like that, it should be for only 10 seconds max.

I'd add '03-'04 and '08-'09 shillings to that list, though the latter should be minimum EF.

I know you've told me a million times, but what dip do you use? I seem to remember it being nothing special, just something from the local hardware store?

I know you've told me a million times, but what dip do you use? I seem to remember it being nothing special, just something from the local hardware store?

I used Goddard's Silver Dip, which I got from Tesco.

I think there might be to much tarnish on that Florin to dip it, it may come out patchy.

Edited by azda

I think there might be to much tarnish on that Florin to dip it, it may come out patchy.

That's always the risk with dipping. But at least a quick dip (or two) won't do any damage. A wash with pure soap should be tried first anyway.

£2 a pop for 265ml at Asda,Sainsbury's & Tesco.Delivered from Amazon £4.45....looks like I may try it.I've had mixed results with acetone and olive oil.

£2 a pop for 265ml at Asda,Sainsbury's & Tesco.Delivered from Amazon £4.45....looks like I may try it.I've had mixed results with acetone and olive oil.

I'll Show you my 1913 HC result when i get home Peter, turned out really good, the tarnish was'nt heavy on it. I'll drop the before and after picture in here

Before

P8230679.jpg

After

P8290704.jpg

Dave.....thats a mighty impressive result. my question is though......what's the difference between tarnishing and toning? and equally important if their the same, why remove it?.

i have to say, i like your coin in both pictures, theres been lots of discussion on this forum about shiny versus toned for silver, with many preferring toned to bright, the reasoning being the toning adds that bit of character.....if i were buying your coin......the toned pic may sell it to me.

ski

Dave.....thats a mighty impressive result. my question is though......what's the difference between tarnishing and toning? and equally important if their the same, why remove it?.

i have to say, i like your coin in both pictures, theres been lots of discussion on this forum about shiny versus toned for silver, with many preferring toned to bright, the reasoning being the toning adds that bit of character.....if i were buying your coin......the toned pic may sell it to me.

ski

The coin was lightly tarnished. I personally like toning on a coin, which as you say adds character to the coin. This coin was more tarnish than tone. You can't eradicate years of tone, but you can tarnish. As to the differences, i can't really say to be honest, perhaps this is more on top of the coin, while the topic starter is more ingrained into the coin. Maybe someone else can explain those differences. May i just add that i've also highlighted your spelling mistake of their and what should have been they're, welcome to my hell ;)

P.s. Tarnish could be more like dirt/grime etc,The original picture looked grubby compared to the result, i don't think you can completely get rid of toning, nice toning adds to a coins appeal, the tarnish on this did'nt

Edited by azda