British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Doesn't miss a trick, our Dave! :)

Lol, what can I say. I subscribe to coin news monthly and Mr P' auction descriptions always stick out like a sore thumb ;) I assume he was looking for double the eventual price with the GVF grading, so not all ebayers are stupid when it comes to grading

I never quite get why sellers even bother with overgrading, because if the photos are decent, then it's fairly easy to come to a judgment of grade and hence price, without an overblown description and grade. I recently bought a GVF coin decribed as GEF. I got it at the VF price, and was happy with the purchase because it was pretty much what I expected. When it came to ebay feedback though, I left a low score for the accuracy of the decription which generated wails of anguish from the seller. However, when I went back and looked at other purchases people had made from this seller, it was pretty obvious that they virtually all made allowances for the grade inflation and bid accordingly - in other words, it was a waste of the sellers time trying to overstate the condition of the coins. In short, nobody was being fooled.

Edited by DaveG38

As i said Dave, with overgrading the eventual hopeful outcome is that someone Will pay the higher end Book price, but As we can see not everyone is dumb As some sellers hope. Perhaps MP reputation is eventually catching up with him.

You'd hope that anyone paying upwards of say £50 for a coin is someone that has prior knowledge of their interest and at least an idea of how to grade something. Even if I'm umming and arring about what to bid I just look up previous auctions and compare pictures. I rarely look at what anyone assigns a coin, especially as even the people on here that I consider experts all give slightly different grades when someone posts a picture. It's way way too subjective a topic for anyone to be right.

I buy what I like the look of and compare it to previous prices online, and I've only been stung a couple of times (IMO) :)

At the end of the day, the grade and price Are both down to you As a buyer, If you have doubts and it starts getting expensive then i'd personally walk away from it, but another important Factor i take into consideration is the eye appeal of the coin, does it look good, easy on the eye, If so, then i'd pay slightly more.

Grade, price and eye appeal Are all equally important to me when deciding to Buy or not.

'Open to offers' ;) haha

Hope it doesn't fall in his toes, he might break them with the weight of the coin

I see Ebay UK have now removed the Coins- Publications category as well, you now have to search through Books using keywords, i wont waste my time :angry:

Edited by MRD

:lol: 'guaranteed genuine, and from my own collection'!

I sent the seller a note to which I had a nice reply this morning. She's deleted the listing.

Who knew counter-stamping a coin with a nationality means it originated from that country!

Victoria Irish One Penny

Also it's from a 'smoke free loving home', I'm just going to assume they mean a 'smoke, free loving home' because it reads better :D

Well i have to say, it's a First for me to See ebay being cheaper than the Website 171949393571

Same coin here http://www.simonwilliscoins.com/products/coin-details.aspx?id=S4012

Yeah that is strange, I normally go to the site for better prices if I know the seller is also a dealer..

Link for the ebay page too: Florin

Well i have to say, it's a First for me to See ebay being cheaper than the Website 171949393571

Same coin here http://www.simonwilliscoins.com/products/coin-details.aspx?id=S4012

Yeah that is strange, I normally go to the site for better prices if I know the seller is also a dealer..

Link for the ebay page too: Florin

It is an auction though, that is not the offer price!

Even so, 1 bid gets it for £65 cheaper than the website, it's also been there for several weeks at that price

Even so, 1 bid gets it for £65 cheaper than the website, it's also been there for several weeks at that price

Perhaps he also has a few friends watching :ph34r:

Perhaps MP would get the message if we all sent him a copy of the Who's single "won't get fooled again"

And to have the check of even using there photos to! He does this on all of his listing on his website coins too

And to have the check of even using there photos to! He does this on all of his listing on his website coins too

And he also uses the descriptions, he used the previous Spink sale milled 6d I was interested in and the Eddie VI 6d from the slaney sale. He could at least take his own pictures.

He does on some but they are awful (take a look at the new Edward VI Half Sovereign one he has just added

He does on some but they are awful (take a look at the new Edward VI Half Sovereign one he has just added

The REV is a bit ropey. In reference to the original coin I posted about, I think the Baldwins price is about where it should be, His £880 price tag is a bit silly, a better one went through Spink in 2013 for £550 hammer Edited by azda

A 1918KN Penny here from someone calling themselves Northampton-coins. I wonder how he stays in business If this is the sort of grading he uses throughout his coin business. 361256131399 Oh and it's rare apparently, but Check out his grade compared to the actual grade. I'm confused