Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Diaconis

Ebay's BEST Offerings

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, alfnail said:

Was it this one Mike?

 

1874 F78.jpg

Either that or something very similar Terry. Why, were you the lucky buyer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Obv.

1291096039_19131-BF175muleobvlowspare.JPG.3b054cfffab91880b75c75e3fa92e18f.JPG

Nice spot & nice coin. Fantastic reverse and obverse not half bad either !

How much was it Terry, if that's not being impertinent. 

Presumably the seller had no idea what it was?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With nearly 6000 George V pennies listed on eBay at the moment, someone has a lot of time on their hands. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rob said:

With nearly 6000 George V pennies listed on eBay at the moment, someone has a lot of time on their hands. ;)

 

Actually I live a very active life and work hard just like my Dog :P

dog.JPG.e1af0d257387cc9d72d6bbd590e98b07.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

About time, because Vettel's last album was crap....

He needs to get off that Ferrari label.. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alfnail said:

Some breed of 'Cocker' Terry? 

I think he thinks he's a Cocker and as you can see proud of it :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Either that or something very similar Terry. Why, were you the lucky buyer?

Ian I mean, not Terry. Apologies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries Mike. Yes, I did buy it.... very soon after it was listed as a BIN, back in 2014. I thought it may have been this one because don't often see a lustred F78.....but I have recorded it as costing £190. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfnail said:

No worries Mike. Yes, I did buy it.... very soon after it was listed as a BIN, back in 2014. I thought it may have been this one because don't often see a lustred F78.....but I have recorded it as costing £190. 

I think it may well be the same one, Ian. It would have been about then. My error with regard to the price, but £190 still a bargain for an F78 in that condition. You don't often see them for sale. 

In the end I settled for a GVF example from Dave Craddock. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to get this 1856 PT penny in about NEF both sides for a best offer price of £280, which compares favourably to many of the LCA hammer prices.

   

penny 1856 rev.jpg

penny 1856 obv.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I managed to get this 1856 PT penny in about NEF both sides for a best offer price of £280, which compares favourably to many of the LCA hammer prices.

   

penny 1856 rev.jpg

penny 1856 obv.jpg

 

Nice coin, at a bargain price!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got 2 1848/7 pennies for £26 . Was struggling to get one for that price , but managed to get lucky .One has been cleaned ,but they are nice grades even if they do have some issues .

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The verd was just surface and came of easily (treated with Verdi care ) .Just looks like some carbon spots now.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mick1271

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mick1271 said:

Got 2 1848/7 pennies for £26 . Was struggling to get one for that price , but managed to get lucky .One has been cleaned ,but they are nice grades even if they do have some issues .

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

Have you got the original e bay link, Mick? Might be able to see if they are Bramah 10b and/or Bramah 10c 8/7 types. Of course, you may already know, in which case, apologies. 

The one with verd looks (otherwise) pretty much UNC.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Have you got the original e bay link, Mick? Might be able to see if they are Bramah 10b and/or Bramah 10c 8/7 types. Of course, you may already know, in which case, apologies. 

The one with verd looks (otherwise) pretty much UNC.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Queen-Victoria-Pennies-1848-High-Grades-/143696323059?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zGNhOPeEfsB5VMffTHlQjngAylU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

 

I don't own a copy of Bramah , so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference .The one that had the verd isn't far off Unc , but through a loupe ,I did notice someone had lightly scratched a FB on it (Couldn't see it with the naked eye , well not mine anyway lol).

Edited by mick1271

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mick1271 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Queen-Victoria-Pennies-1848-High-Grades-/143696323059?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zGNhOPeEfsB5VMffTHlQjngAylU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

 

I don't own a copy of Bramah , so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference .The one that had the verd isn't far off Unc , but through a loupe ,I did notice someone had lightly scratched a FB on it (Couldn't see it with the naked eye , well not mine anyway lol).

Bramah describes them as follows:-

Quote

 

10b ALTERED DATE O. - The die has been altered from 1847. The 7 shows very plainly beneath the 8, its up-stroke dividing the lower loop of 8 into two unequal parts, that on the left being much the smaller.

10c ALTERED DATE O. - The die has been altered from 1847. The 7 does not show so conspicuously as it does on No 10b and its up-stroke divides the lower loop of 8 into two fairly equal portions.

 

From what I can tell, I'd say the coin on the left (the a/UNC one) is probably a Bramah 10c. Not sure what the one on the right is. Unfortunately the coins are slightly too far away for the magnification to be as effective as it might be.

I can say with absolute certainty that Bramah was spot on when he said of the 10b that the 7 shows very plainly beneath the 8. It's very obvious even with the naked eye. 

The one in this link is a very clear example of a 10b, whereas the one in this link is a 10c (both with effective magnification) 

 

   

Edited by 1949threepence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Bramah describes them as follows:-

From what I can tell, I'd say the coin on the left (the a/UNC one) is probably a Bramah 10c. Not sure what the one on the right is. Unfortunately the coins are slightly too far away for the magnification to be as effective as it might be.

I can say with absolute certainty that Bramah was spot on when he said of the 10b that the 7 shows very plainly beneath the 8. It's very obvious even with the naked eye. 

The one in this link is a very clear example of a 10b, whereas the one in this link is a 10c (both with effective magnification) 

 

   

Going by the upright of the 7 splitting the lower loop evenly , I would say they are both 10c.

Thanks for the information .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×