British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
IanB

Silver 2p

He thought the 2P was a fake and so took it to his bank to be destroyed.

:lol:

What a load of tripe.

:lol:

What I was thinking

I have kept a couple of silver / bronze decimal and would be happy to sell them westminster for £300 :)

Or maybe i should email the BBC and tell them i have just picked one up as i was busking in Manchester.

Think the story might get on the T.V. and use Bad Example (jon) to act the scene out.

Nice cheap advertising by Westminster to reel in the suckers who by their products.

I have a two pence coin year 2000. I have had it ages in my jar I take to Asda when it gets full, anyway I every time I put it in the machine it is rejected. But it is odd. I saw the news Item today about the silver 2p and decided to check mine. I bundled it in a roll with several other two ps and it stuck out like a sore thumb. So I asked my hubby to see if he could spot the odd one out in the roll and he got it right away. The coin is same size as a two pence but the copper is thin and flakey and underneath it is silver gray. The edge of the coin has most of the copper come away and it is silver coloured.

4 hours ago, IanB said:

Must be a slow news day; it not like there is a referendum in the offing, mass shootings in US, riots in France or a bunch of millionaires chasing a bag of wind around a field.  :ph34r:

So presumably either a blank intended for a foreign issue which somehow got into the 2p blank bin, or a sheet of thinner material was used by mistake. If the first it will be rarer than if the second, as this would mean as many produced as there were blanks from the sheet. I don't believe for one minute that someone is counterfeiting 2p pieces.

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Think the story might get on the T.V. and use Bad Example (jon) to act the scene out.

Good luck with that, I can't even play the triangle. :(

I'm clearly missing something here. Is the coin on the BBC story a fake?

It's obviously a gimmick by Westminster Collection. The purchase money went to charity, the Royal British Legion. They have got some publicity from it and is now giving the coin away as a prize. The flan used was a nickel plated 10p according to the bbc.  An off-metal strike 1980 two pence in cupro-nickel only sold for £80 by LCA a few months ago...

13 hours ago, Sword said:

It's obviously a gimmick by Westminster Collection. The purchase money went to charity, the Royal British Legion. They have got some publicity from it and is now giving the coin away as a prize. The flan used was a nickel plated 10p according to the bbc.  An off-metal strike 1980 two pence in cupro-nickel only sold for £80 by LCA a few months ago...

A kind of loss leader then!

When is a silver coin not a silver coin  / when its Nickle- plated steel , so why call it silver then ?

we still talk about copper & silver even though our circulating coinage has had different composition for decates