British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

My first batch of coins to CGS

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I should of read Daves earlier post :)

So its really for people who will be sending quite a few .

Then as you slab i.e. 5 they knock it off .

Anybody who wants to send just a couple may have to go through an agent/someone else.

Or PWA :lol:

I've no idea what it actually costs to grade at the new LCGS, of course there is the initial fee of XXX multiplied by XXX plus the additional XXX to look at the lovely pictures they've took of the coin you've submitted and paid XXX for, but what does it cost when the £499 has finished and you have to start stumping up another fee, what's the cost afterwards?

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Wind your neck in........:D

You are their secret agent .......... :ph34r: Their ONLY agent :D

Edited by azda

Actually, one has to pay a subscription of £99. 

Then subscribers can apply to be grading members. They are rather selective and states that " Clients who have a track record of submitting coins to the former CGS or are regular clients of London Coins auction or dealership service are likely to be approve"

No riff raff then. And once they have approved your application, then you have the privilege of paying the £499 deposit upfront. 

Personally, I think this is just not exclusively enough. I think applicants should be proposed by a current member and seconded by another. They must be interviewed and swear their loyalty to LCGS.

Seriously though, by getting rid of all their "small" customers, I think CGS coins will lose credibility. This is because a higher percentage of new slabbing is for their own LCA and so there will be more suspicion on their impartiality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sword said:

Actually, one has to pay a subscription of £99. 

Then subscribers can apply to be grading members. They are rather selective and states that " Clients who have a track record of submitting coins to the former CGS or are regular clients of London Coins auction or dealership service are likely to be approve"

No riff raff then. And once they have approved your application, then you have the privilege of paying the £499 deposit upfront. 

Personally, I think this is just not exclusively enough. I think applicants should be proposed by a current member and seconded by another. They must be interviewed and swear their loyalty to LCGS.

Seriously though, by getting rid of all their "small" customers, I think CGS coins will lose credibility. This is because a higher percentage of new slabbing is for their own LCA and so there will be more suspicion on their impartiality. 

That's very strange as the new Grading company has nothing to do with the old company...............Is someone bullshitting somewhere?

20 minutes ago, azda said:

You are their secret agent .......... :ph34r: Their ONLY agent :D

How about this for a scam.

Sign up up to be a CGS agent. Charge a very low service fee to get some business. Then do a runner with the coins!

The turnaround time for CGS is 3 months plus. So you have at least 3 months to getaway because anyone suspect anything.

Edited by Sword

1 minute ago, azda said:

That's very strange as the new Grading company has nothing to do with the old company...............Is someone bullshitting somewhere?

The new grading company is exactly the same as the old company with just an extra letter added to the name. Actually, not quite the same as they now have a worse attitude.

4 minutes ago, Sword said:

The new grading company is exactly the same as the old company with just an extra letter added to the name. Actually, not quite the same as they now have a worse attitude.

Exactly my point, it was intimated that the whole thing was being taken over by a whole new team, but apparently not......

Enough of the company CGS and back to George V halfcrowns. I have brought a 1911 a few years back. I had it slabbed with CGS afterwards and it got a CGS 80 grade. Interested to hear how you think it compare with the ones posted earlier.

1911 O.jpe1911 R.jpe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sword said:

Interested to hear how you think it compare with the ones posted earlier.

This is a very interesting post. Many thanks to Nonmortuus, Sword and you all for sharing this stuff.

In regards to Sword's HC, I see wear on the King's ear and end of moustache which I would imagine would place the coin in the 60's, but the reverse is very well struck and maybe that bumped it to 80 under CGS' judgement, and this is coherent with (nearly) all of Nonmortuus coins being weaker at the seam between the shield and the crown.

Then we have the 1911 from Noonmortus which got 15 points less than Sword's. I don't get it, they seem nearly equal grade to me.

2 hours ago, Sword said:

Enough of the company CGS and back to George V halfcrowns. I have brought a 1911 a few years back. I had it slabbed with CGS afterwards and it got a CGS 80 grade. Interested to hear how you think it compare with the ones posted earlier.

1911 O.jpe1911 R.jpe

You make CGS sound like a lottery not a serious TPG which is just about right.

When graded by god, god is the all conquering, and we don't discuss anything that god has graded.........IE, when it's slabbed by CGS the their grade is deemed final and absolute......It's eventually an old boys network and will always remain the same....

Edited by azda

2 minutes ago, azda said:

When graded by god, god is the all conquering, and we don't discuss anything that god has graded.........IE, when it's slabbed by CGS the their grade is deemed final and absolute......

NGC has a 'regrade" service. If you disagree with the assigned grade then you can resubmit. Does CGS offer similar?

As i quoted above, CGS is the all conquering, when it states CGS 10 then that's what it is...., don't you dare disagree or else Semra will come calling

1 minute ago, jaggy said:

NGC has a 'regrade" service. If you disagree with the assigned grade then you can resubmit. Does CGS offer similar?

Yes, you can crack the coin out and resubmit it again :D

2 minutes ago, Sword said:

Yes, you can crack the coin out and resubmit it again :D

So that'll be 8 months waiting on the same coins

My favorite coin of the bunch (even before looking further at the assigned grades) is the 1912 HC.  The upper left quadrant of the reverse shield may be a bit mushy (incomplete strike), but it has loads of eye appeal and original surfaces.

In my opinions only, here are what I would have graded the coins (based on the photos only):

Coin       Obv    Rev    CGS grade           [BRG]grade

1817 HC    GVF    GVF    CGS 50 (AU55)       AU53

1911 HC    EF     gEF    CGS 65 (MS 60-61)   AU58

1912 HC    aEF    EF     CGS 75 (MS 62-63)   MS64

1913 HC    aEF    aEF    CGS 75 (MS 62-63)   MS63

1916 HC    gEF    gEF    CGS 78 (MS 63-64)   MS64

1918 HC    EF     EF     CGS 70 (MS 60-61)   AU58

1919 HC    gEF    gEF    CGS 65 (MS 60-61)   MS63

• Like 2

This one won CGS 75  in the CGS lottery. It's dated 1911 and similar in condition to the one submitted by Nonmortuus  which won CGS 65!  Pick a figure and declare all care but no responsibility. My advice forget CGS and if you need a TPG go to the US ones PGS etc.

Obverse AUNC.jpg

Reverse AUNC.jpg

My view is that yours may well be a better grade than Nons @ozjohn, as we all acknowledge it's hard to grade from the pics alone, but very often that's all we have to go on!

To throw this in to the mix, here is my 1911 PROOF half crown, graded CGS 92

1911_hc_pf_03_cgs_92_uin_36862_1600.jpg

Take your point that pictures can be deceptive Here's a proof 1911 HC (ungraded) I have which in life is shiny with little toning. Still not impress with CGS however.

Obverse UNC.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
Missing word

Without prejudice, i just cant see the point in grading with CGS / LCGS., Sad to say but there is ZERO commercial value for a CGS holder. Irrespective if they were stricter graders in comparison to NGC / PCGS, you wont get a premium for a CGS Holder. Further more i cant see the point in grading mid level coins either. A coin with a value of say £150, isn't going to treble in value because its in a slab unless the coin is out of this world in terms of grade. 

At which point, in any of my posts, have I said I had got these slabbed for commercial reasons and by that I mean to turn a quick profit and resell? Everyone seems to be going off at a tangent here. The primary reasons I sent them to CGS were:

1) To check my grading, as a total newbie I wanted to see how CGS would grade them against the grades I had in my head, hence me posting my grades on the initial post. Whether you agree with CGS/PCGS/NGC/whoever it was to make sure I was picking out relatively problem free coins. Some of you have been collecting or dealing in coins for years and often seem to forget that for newbies like me spending £50, £100, £200 is a lot. CGS 'were' the cheapest option to get a TPG to look at them at the time.

2) Recommendations from active forum members who had expressed that they had were happy with the results form CGS. Yes I had read some of the negative comments as well but speaking with some of the members on here who use CGS I felt reassured that I wasn't making a massive mistake (This was pre takeover etc etc)

These coins are going to sit in my collection for a long long time and yes, I am sure I will upgrade my 'mid level coins' at come point, however for now this exercise has served its purpose. It has helped validated that I am not buying dipped or messed with coins, it has demonstrated that my grading isn't a million miles off with George V Half Crowns and now they will sit in my collection for the foreseeable future :)

Edited by Nonmortuus
Typo
  • Like 2

But you've paid (i'd guess) a few hundred pounds to do so. Doesn't really make any sense to me but each to their own.