British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Matt. That was a very interesting article.

No problem, made more sense to scan as it came to work.

Not much in there that we didn't already know, but always good to read the studies.

Thanks Matt  This is what I loved about CM.Back in the day it was possible to buy coins from the adverts...I got some crackers.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Thanks Matt  This is what I loved about CM.Back in the day it was possible to buy coins from the adverts...I got some crackers.

I see these in the old monthlies and some of the prices then... Nowadays you've gotta sift through the literal crap to find anything good :( 

Blame the internet. Our US buddies can cherry pick although I did the same when £1 = $2

15 hours ago, Peter said:

The only drawback being, they weren't pictured. You'd have to rely on the dealer's description and hopefully get the coin on approval if you sent for it by post.

Edited by 1949threepence

Guest KIP

Good Morning,

I am a coin dealer who has a question for the bronze penny collectors do with pricing. For the following pennies does anyone have a guide price in UNC (US grading scale MS 63 plus)

1874 F67 6+H,

1875 F79 8+G,

1876H F87 8+J,

1878 F94 8+J,

1881 F102 9+J,

1881 F105 10+J,

1881 F106 11+J,

1882H 12+M F114 and

1895 F139 1+A.

I have a copy of SPINK so it's not the book price I am after but a guide price from recent sales that people have been following.

Thanks,

Kip

2 minutes ago, Guest KIP said:

I am a coin dealer who has a question for the bronze penny collectors do with pricing. For the following pennies does anyone have a guide price in UNC (US grading scale MS 63 plus)

1874 F67 6+H,

1875 F79 8+G,

1876H F87 8+J,

1878 F94 8+J,

1881 F102 9+J,

1881 F105 10+J,

1881 F106 11+J,

1882H 12+M F114 and

1895 F139 1+A.

I have a copy of SPINK so it's not the book price I am after but a guide price from recent sales that people have been following.

Hi Kip, best bet is check auction archives like www.londoncoins.com or www.spink.com.

That's a long list of coins for people to dig through their notes. You might get lucky though!

On 16/01/2017 at 4:04 PM, PWA 1967 said:

I dont think any currency were produced and is F216

Looks like Obv. B   P of IMP to RIGHT of bead, Rev. b   E of PENNY to gap. which is F221 in currence. No proof listed as F222 is 1938.

8 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Hi Kip, best bet is check auction archives like www.londoncoins.com or www.spink.com.

That's a long list of coins for people to dig through their notes. You might get lucky though!

Also check through http://www.coinarchives.com

Guest KIP
15 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Hi Nordle11,

My original list was longer. I have combed through the sold prices of most auction sites and as a dealer I make a note of the most up to date prices, less commission. However the coins in the list that I have drafted have either not made it the major auction houses in the past 2 years, in which case the prices have become obsolete, or are not in an UNC grade.

Thanks,
K

3 minutes ago, Guest KIP said:

Hi Nordle11,

My original list was longer. I have combed through the sold prices of most auction sites and as a dealer I make a note of the most up to date prices, less commission. However the coins in the list that I have drafted have either not made it the major auction houses in the past 2 years, in which case the prices have become obsolete, or are not in an UNC grade.

Thanks,
K

In that case you should maybe take an average of Spink, CCGB (Collectors Coins Great Britain) which the owner of this site writes and publishes and also the website of Tony Clayton http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/penny.html#QVb

7 minutes ago, Guest KIP said:

Hi Nordle11,

Thanks,
K

Then you've answered your own question really, there isn't much information on UNC grades for the ones you're looking for.

Personally I wouldn't disregard prices over 2 years old for items that seldom come to market, they at least will give you an idea of the market. Also, as a bidder, when I make a purchase through an auction house I make my bid taking commission into account as I think a lot of others do, I don't think removing the commission price is giving you a true figure IMO. Especially so in the case of rarer items that receive much higher bids than your run-of-the-mill coins.

8 minutes ago, Guest KIP said:

Hi Nordle11,

Thanks,
K

Some of those are quite scarce in UNC as you will be aware.

Have you got a picture please of your F67 ?.

Pete.

5 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Then you've answered your own question really, there isn't much information on UNC grades for the ones you're looking for.

Personally I wouldn't disregard prices over 2 years old for items that seldom come to market, they at least will give you an idea of the market. Also, as a bidder, when I make a purchase through an auction house I make my bid taking commission into account as I think a lot of others do, I don't think removing the commission price is giving you a true figure IMO. Especially so in the case of rarer items that receive much higher bids than your run-of-the-mill coins.

I would agree, as the hammer price of a coin in auction isn't actually the true price you've paid, the true price is when you get the invoice, that's just my opinion, but if you buy a coin at say £500 hammer and the auction has a 20% commission rate than there's still another £100 plus postage to go on top

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Some of those are quite scarce in UNC as you will be aware.

Have you got a picture please of your F67 ?.

Pete.

A dealer that you don't know of Pete? :o

I don't believe you..

Just now, Nordle11 said:

A dealer that you don't know of Pete? :o

I don't believe you..

:D Been racking my brains ......KIP...........:wacko:

40 minutes ago, Guest KIP said:

Hi Nordle11,

Thanks,
K

The Copthorne collection from last year may be a place to start the pictures / prices are on the Colin Cooke website.

1912 H Penny

Is this coin really worth the money or is the seller chancing it? Given the seller's feedback it might well be a special coin but I am not too sure. 

Guest KIP
23 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

The Copthorne collection from last year may be a place to start the pictures / prices are on the Colin Cooke website.

Very useful. Much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Green said:

1912 H Penny

Is this coin really worth the money or is the seller chancing it? Given the seller's feedback it might well be a special coin but I am not too sure. 

Chancing it? More like looking for a miracle.

That's a £130-150 coin 

Guest KIP
58 minutes ago, azda said:

I would agree, as the hammer price of a coin in auction isn't actually the true price you've paid, the true price is when you get the invoice, that's just my opinion, but if you buy a coin at say £500 hammer and the auction has a 20% commission rate than there's still another £100 plus postage to go on top

As a dealer I have to discount the commission as it’s a cost. If a coin sells for £100 in an auction I get just £80 so I find its judicious to note the sale price less commission.

Just now, Guest KIP said:

As a dealer I have to discount the commission as it’s a cost. If a coin sells for £100 in an auction I get just £80 so I find its judicious to note the sale price less commission.

Depends if, as a dealer, you sell all your stock through auction houses. If not then I wouldn't remove the commission because you're effectively reducing the price of the coin by 20%.

I don't imagine collectors will be very keen to supply sales data to dealers so that they can charge us the maximum ! We're all looking for bargains.

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I don't imagine collectors will be very keen to supply sales data to dealers so that they can charge us the maximum ! We're all looking for bargains.

Inversely, please do send your.. ahem.. figures.

The UNC F139 in that last auction went for around  £100 iirc :ph34r: pm me Kip..