British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
numismatist

1862 Penny Cannot See Die Flaw Is This Obv 2 Or 6 Thanks

That's an obverse 6. There are several differences, but the most obvious is the arrangement of leaves at the front of the wreath.

Obverse 6:

Penny1861%20F37%206%20+%20G%20OBV%20500x

Obverse 2 (apologies for the coin & photo quality):

Penny1860%20F10%202%20+%20D%20OBV%20500x

Edited by Accumulator

I have not started on the Xmas brandy but what the heck is happening here.

A beautiful obverse 6 but...the letters.My cat with his tin opener could do better.

I'm not Tibetan. :rolleyes:

Thanks " Accumulator " for the Photos. I can see what you mean by the Wreath shape

very much appreciated.. I was hoping too much as always !!

The big clue is the gap between the top of Victoria's bust and the linear circle - as you can see, it's almost twice as wide on obverse 2 as on obverse 6.

Thanks Peckris and Peter, I can see what you mean by the Gap

very distinctive , if you know what to look for .Must say the Obv 6

coin is superb with a wonderful colour.

I have not started on the Xmas brandy but what the heck is happening here.

A beautiful obverse 6 but...the letters.My cat with his tin opener could do better.

I'm not Tibetan. :rolleyes:

You're right Peter, though the letters aren't quite as imperfect as they look in the photos. It's partly due to reflection of the light.

I'm cheating slightly as my obverse 6 shown is actually from an 1861 proof (Freeman 37). It's not perfect but very nice in hand.

Not all Obv 6 have the Die flaw but it is rare that you find one without it, even Accumulators Proof penny has it! I think this is one of the first that I have seen.

Not all Obv 6 have the Die flaw but it is rare that you find one without it, even Accumulators Proof penny has it! I think this is one of the first that I have seen.

On some Obverse 6 coins the flaw is almost impossible to detect, so even with minor wear it may not be visible. Here are a couple of examples:

Penny1866%20F52%206%20+%20G%20OBV%20500xPenny1862%20F39%206%20+%20G%20OBV%20500x

Beautiful coins AC! First time I've ever viewed the younger Victoria as full-breasted...not something you notice on the regular pieces!

I really don't know where to go...the pantry is calling.

Fantastic :D

Always good to see AC's coins. I can only dream about having a collection like that.

Always good to see AC's coins. I can only dream about having a collection like that.

You're very kind, Danz, though several others on here could put my collection to shame!

You're very kind, Danz, though several others on here could put my collection to shame!

You are right Danz, Accum's collecion is top drawer. But like Accum's response, there is always someone who can "one up" a collection, it seems. When I was visiting Great Britain this Fall, I stopped by Michael Gouby's shop, and some of the coins he showed me, would really make you dizzy with envy, especially the 1849, and 1863 Open 3 Pennies, both uncirculated! It was quite a treat!