scottishmoney Posted February 22 Posted February 22 Obviously this bawbee from King William III from 1697 circulated as a halfpenny deep into the 18th century given it's wear pattern 2 Quote
scottishmoney Posted February 22 Posted February 22 Another well loved bawbee but from King Charles II and dated 1678. And another beater bawbee, this from 1677. 1 Quote
scottishmoney Posted February 22 Posted February 22 Bawbees are notorious for having circulated deep into the 18th century by which time they were barely identifiable - so this rather decent 1679 example is an exception to the beater bawbee rule. 5 Quote
Nala Posted March 8 Posted March 8 Hi Here is a medal with a connected rosette that I bought on eBay a few weeks ago. Weighs 34gms, diameter 44mm, thickness 5mm. Not silver. Not named. My grandfather was born and grew up in Rhymney, South Wales, which when he was young was a busy coal mining village. It was minted by J.W. BENSON London, so the medal could be 100 to 150 years old. ??? I have not been able to find a similar medal. All I can find is that this type of medal could be given following an act of bravery or good deed by for example a friendly society. I am interested in the social history of the area so can anyone add anything? Many thanks Alan Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.