Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
7 hours ago, JLS said:

The other interesting fact I know about it is that the reverse design tells you where to get it redeemed ! Eaton's publishing house was based at the Cock and Swine, 74 Newgate Street, sadly long demolished. If you're interested in more about Eaton, there's a lot of academic literature which discusses his activities as his friends and clients were basically a who's-who of the radical political scene of 1790s London.

Here's the front page of Eaton's edition of the Rights of Man, for reference, where he's "Citizen Daniel Isaac Eaton, Printer to the Supreme Majesty of the People". 

So the printer was Eaton but the portrait is Thomas Paine?

Posted
18 hours ago, Paulus said:

Upgrade just landed

1795_hp_middlesex_eaton_dh_301_03_ref_01980_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

Nice design.

Didn't realise just how much craft went into unofficial stuff like this before I saw this thread.

Posted
11 hours ago, Paulus said:

So the printer was Eaton but the portrait is Thomas Paine?

No, the portrait is definitely of Eaton with that high forehead. "Frangas non Flectes" was Eaton's personal motto too. Compare this illustration: Daniel_Isaac_Eaton_by_William_Sharp,_aft

The connection with Paine is tangential but interesting. 

Posted
11 hours ago, Danelaw said:

What a great post. Some people would look at that as just a coin. 

Social history in a nutshell!

This is why Peter Withers is always saying that owning a token without researching it is a bit like owning a book without reading it...you can spend hours and hours on some of these pieces. 

  • Like 2
Posted

A recent purchase from eBay. 25mm X 21mm. In lead. Closest I can find via Google is a 'General Fairfax medal ' in gold, held at the British Museum. No sign of a suspension loop on this piece tho.

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_211733951_crop_2955x3565-600x724.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_212134049_crop_2923x3629-600x745.jpg

  • Like 3
Posted
21 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

A recent purchase from eBay. 25mm X 21mm. In lead. Closest I can find via Google is a 'General Fairfax medal ' in gold, held at the British Museum. No sign of a suspension loop on this piece tho.

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_211733951_crop_2955x3565-600x724.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_212134049_crop_2923x3629-600x745.jpg

There were three of these in the Murdoch sale (Sotheby 1904), see the attached excerpt from the catalog with a full attribution. None in lead, could possibly be an 18th or 19th century imitation as is common with Civil War medals, especially given the lack of provenance. murdoch.thumb.JPG.bd2680412bbce210e9d0a0f8de0e6725.JPG

 

 

Posted

Not sure if these belong in my advertising token or French collection !

It was illegal at this point to counterstamp regal coinage, hence the use of French 10 centime pieces. The left countermark dates from 1884 according to Withers. 

ads.thumb.JPG.e1797ef1f4e254ae7e56435a0847e3ff.JPG

Posted
23 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

A recent purchase from eBay. 25mm X 21mm. In lead. Closest I can find via Google is a 'General Fairfax medal ' in gold, held at the British Museum. No sign of a suspension loop on this piece tho.

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_211733951_crop_2955x3565-600x724.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_212134049_crop_2923x3629-600x745.jpg

Interesting piece ! its definitely not one of Thomas Simons examples , its too crude but its very intriguing.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

Interesting piece ! its definitely not one of Thomas Simons examples , its too crude but its very intriguing.

I'd be interested for my civil war collection, if you would be willing to sell it on 

Edited by mhcoins
Posted
5 hours ago, JLS said:

There were three of these in the Murdoch sale (Sotheby 1904), see the attached excerpt from the catalog with a full attribution. None in lead, could possibly be an 18th or 19th century imitation as is common with Civil War medals, especially given the lack of provenance. murdoch.thumb.JPG.bd2680412bbce210e9d0a0f8de0e6725.JPG

 

 

I think you're right. An imitation. The central legend on mine has a stop after R. The real thing has a stop immediately before the R.

A lead copy of a gold medal from 1645. The copyist must have had access to the real one at some point to know what he was replicating.

Am I allowed to post the screenshot of the British museum medal?

Bob.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

A rarity for the unofficial farthing collection I picked up earlier this week. 

Theobaldmathew.JPG

theobaldmathew2.JPG

  • Like 3
Posted
5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Recent acquisition (farthing)

1794_fa_somerset_bath_dh_115_01_ref_01998_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

I love the fact that on yours the date is readable ! On my example (similar grade) it's too weakly struck to be clear. 

Think it was probably an afterthought by the engravers...or they just didn't leave enough space and then panicked because their punches were too large ??

  • Like 1
Posted
On 1/23/2020 at 9:42 PM, mhcoins said:

I'd be interested for my civil war collection, if you would be willing to sell it on 

It's yours Sir, if you'd care to message me.

Bob.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Bought this at the weekend from birmingham (some idiot had to go when the storm was on didn't they), I just love the tone on it and its a variety I don't have

Sparrows Balloon farthing - if you put it into google it gives you a real interesting read

IMG_20200210_0003.jpg

Edited by copper123
Posted
21 hours ago, copper123 said:

Sparrows Balloon farthing 

A very nice example. The Sparrow balloon tokens were some of the first I collected in this series, just need the RRR piece for the set of six

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Very nice, this is my only example

ud-farthing-ironmonger-bishopsgate-london-isaac-earlysman-sparrow_01_01_2400.jpg

I have this one as well _ i am not sure really if these are actual circulating coins or advertising pieces , but it does not seem to matter they are lovely pieces of social history

  • Like 1
Posted
6 minutes ago, copper123 said:

circulating coins or advertising pieces

They're a bit of both really and fall into the unofficial farthing series of tokens. There is a wide variety of different trades covered from bakers, grocers and tobacconists through to tea dealers, wine and spirits merchants and photographers 

  • Like 1
Posted

I love the idea of "Leather sauce" some sort of early  boot polish I would think - great name.

 

Posted

From the book above what are the two grade prices please ? It does not give a grade or even a year for the values , to know the year its published would be very  usefull

I would guess VF and EF though its only a guess

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...