British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

The same seller has a Henry VIII repro listed too. I've sent a message pointing out neither coins are genuine. Lets see if the descriptions are updated.….

Just received a message from the seller. He is withdrawing the lots.

• Like 1

I wonder if fleabay take 10% from that as well. Anybody know?

That is what I was talking about when I said I got stung for charges. If you look at the ? it tells you that this is not a final charge and can be adjusted. Silly me assumed that no import duty or VAT on books meant they weren't going to charge it. If you apply import charges as they are due then it appears to be a bit cheaper than regular post, but automatically being charged for things you don't owe rubs a lot.

Yep, it's a rip off for the buyer from all angles. I have instructed the wife to revoke the automatic sign up (coz we are caring people and don't like to see people being ripped off).

I assume they will be making something from it because the postage element of the things I bought was slightly cheaper than for the individual. i.e. it wasn't done at normal cost, so you must assume they are making a bit from facilitating the transaction.

One other point for consideration -

Ebay go to great lengths to point out that you should keep P&P charges to a minimum, buyers like free P&P, their default charges are RM prices etc., so WTF are they doing automatically enrolling sellers into a global shipping program that promptly charges the buyer postage and packing fees that are considerably greater than the individual would pay if packed by themselves. Of course, you are still liable for ratings of the cost of P&P. When eBay don't charge FVF fees, Paypoo fees and the RM delivers my parcel for free, I am prepared to ship at the cost of a jiffy bag and the cost of getting to a post office - aint gonna happen, is it?

Edited by Rob

Has anyone opted out of the global shipping plan?

Has anyone opted out of the global shipping plan?

Richard said He had.

a reply from the seller about his import charges

Our insurance only covers domestic shipping. Ebays global shipping program allows us to sell internationally while still being covered by our insurance. Ebay sets the Import fess and the Shipping cost, we have NOTHING to do with it. Most people understand this and either buy or don't buy.

If you have a problem with the Import fees take it up with Ebay.

Keep in mind Ebay has to tack on extra $ for the labor involved (customs forms) and to cover the cost of their own International Shipping Insurance which can be very expensive.

And another

Re-read the last message

nothing is free did it ever occur to you that ebay has to pay employees to fill out the customs forms ect.

USPS flat rate envelope insured to $1K is $46 ish if the website is to be believed. Add in UK 5% import vat at £25-30 plus the RM £8 fee and you get to about £60 all in. i.e. Only about half the sum quoted. I said you get stung. Nice little earner for eBay though.

Sure nothing comes for free, but taking the piss can be expensive. So much for their hypocritical bollocks about keeping postage costs to a minimum. Things like this need to be shouted from the rooftops, because the rates are usurious. Thinking out loud, I wonder if the OFT would have a case.

All in all a case of caveat emptor. Avoid ebay and buy from the US from the likes of Heritage, who only charge $30 for shipping lots.

Trouble is Heritage are too expensive 99.99% of the time.

Another reply

I know where your coming from, really. But this is out of my hands, Ive accepted that ebay is a for profit agency and they do provide a great service. And since we cannot ship overseas and be covered by our insurance, its our only option. Lets say with shipping and import fees the actual cost is $100 and ebay is charging $200. Cost of labor is $20 at most and the remaining $80 is their profit. If enough people complain to ebay directly maybe it could change.

Just understand I get a lot of messages about the fees and theres nothing I can do. Its not us that sets them; actually we never offered international shipping but ebay automatically changed all of our existing listings last year to accept international orders for their global shipping program without asking us first. Then the messages start to come in.

Trouble is Heritage are too expensive 99.99% of the time.

With global shipping rates, so is ebay.

Free - map of Italy (or it COULD be S. America) lovingly engraved on this penny (it was more evident before the coin was scoured clean...) :D

Free - map of Italy (or it COULD be S. America) lovingly engraved on this penny (it was more evident before the coin was scoured clean...) :D

If where ware were wear,we're wondering where wear would be worn to good condition.

If where ware were wear,we're wondering where wear would be worn to good condition.

Thamnk you Peter Piper :lol:

Another response

Right, Ebay encourages sellers to offer free shipping or price the shipping for less than it actually costs. On the surface, it looks like they are not practicing what they preach. We would like to be able to sell to more overseas customers but many wont pay excess fees.

I will say this in ebays defense though: With the global shipping program they are providing a great service, they have set up a base of operations in Kentucky at an airport and they take care of all the re-packaging and customs forms. For that service they charge more than the actual fees to make up for their overhead. From a business point of view I can understand this.

They should lower the mark-up over actual fees to get a better response from buyers however, it can never be eliminated because of the overhead for the service.

The argument against this is that there is very little in the way of extra work to be done by the vendor. It doesn't matter whether you are sending a signed for parcel to an internal or overseas address, you still have to fill in all the recipient's details. The only additional work is to fill in the white customs label saying description (1 or 2 words), value and ticking a box to say if it is a gift, sample etc. so what? I'll fill in customs labels all day at £50 a time. For them to re-package is doing the same job twice, which is unnecessary.

It's like many things in business. Most aren't rocket science, just that people can't be bothered to get off their a**e and cut out the middle man.

Forgot to add item number! Doh!

Please see below! ;)

Edited by Coinery