British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

josie

Is GB planning to join the EU currency?

Seen sample coins on several site,a propose coin for GB for EU coin.

Is GB planning to join the EU currency?

seen on the news that the GB citizens are strongly oppose on EU constitution but favor the trade in EU.

Any news or update on the status or position of GB and its citizens now.

Even the Blair Government has had some discussion of it, but it is going to be a contentious uphill battle. How do you give up a currency that has never lost all of it's value like every other European currency has, and join into something that British have long viewed as a "Continental" threat, primarily of the French?

Several other countries have opted out, Sweden and Denmark, and there are other countries like Norway and Switzerland that have trade relationships with the EU but are not a part of it.

Seems increasingly unlikely on a formal level, but most major chains will accept Euros (why did they have to choose this silly name?). In fact as many UK citizens spend an increasing amount of time in Europe, it is becoming a kind of second currency; so the answer I guess is officially no, unofficially maybe.

Seems increasingly unlikely on a formal level, but most major chains will accept Euros (why did they have to choose this silly name?). In fact as many UK citizens spend an increasing amount of time in Europe, it is becoming a kind of second currency; so the answer I guess is officially no, unofficially maybe.

The crazy thing about that, is they will spend Euros in Harrods for instance, but if they were forced to, they would revolt.

The crazy thing about that, is they will spend Euros in Harrods for instance, but if they were forced to, they would revolt.

Doesn't bother me none, all the fun went out of our currency in 1971!

I think that the "great British public" have cottoned on to the fact that the whole Euro thing is just another way for politicians to get their snouts into many more troughs! :angry:

Ive seen several design on propose GB coin for EU in several site ,almost thier is new set of pattern for every year that is what my interpretation,

So why they are making a pattern? when the answer is that GB is not joining EU and some site I think they are sellingthose pattern.

So if someone saw a pattern it means that GB is not joining the EU, not to be interpreted that GB will join EU in proposed or designated time for thier is no agrement or arrangement being made for GB to join EU currency.

There is something more I like to ask about the commonwealth, in thier coin they have the face of the queen,

Since they are not part of EU like canada and Australia this 2 countries bares the queen face on thier coin,

What will happen to the image of the queenn in AUS and CANADA when GB join the EU ?

About commonwealth countries of GB are they independent or in the process?

Im having difficulty in cutting where the authority of GB ends or not in its commonwealth countries because thier currency have the image of the queen.

Josie I think the answer to your question is that these "pattern" or proposed currency aren't really either, but instead only fantasy pieces. If you type in the word pattern in eBay you will be confronted with many so called patterns like 2001 Spink Patina Sale coins which are in fact fantasy pieces and aren't true patterns or trials in the sense of the word. A real pattern or trial is made to put forward a proposed coinage/design or to test dies. Many of these modern patterns where produced after the dates they have on them and were made to make a quick buck from collectors as "what if pieces" (as in what if this design or currency was produced).

I think the makers and proffers of the "what if" pieces should be shot. I am sickened of them.

Thank you very much,

Now Im not confused also the other readers of this forum.about the fantacy coin.

It is clear now that GB is not joining EU currency.

seeing those coin have a imprint that GB is joining EU in definite time, for the coin is thier ,instead it is a fantasy coin.decieving the buyers and the stand of GB towards EU currency.

More likely conditioning effect on seeing this coin on the net.

So NO PATTERN FOR GB ON EU CURRENCY THAT IS CLEAR.

Hypothetical if GB join the EU currency is Canada and Australia and other commowealth countries are included to EU currency?

No! They have long since had an independent government and full control over their own currency.

I do know though that French Guyana, nextdoor to Brazil I believe had to also adopt the Euro.

I do know though that French Guyana, nextdoor to Brazil I believe had to also adopt the Euro.

That's right. What's left of the French Empire are 'proper' colonies where the French have more control. I think that French Guyana is the only one with the Euro....it might even be the last French colony?!

Oli wil know, he seems to be into French things. I have French ancestors you know.

That's right. What's left of the French Empire are 'proper' colonies where the French have more control. I think that French Guyana is the only one with the Euro....it might even be the last French colony?!

Oli wil know, he seems to be into French things. I have French ancestors you know.

Something in my mind said 'Tahiti' but apparently they use a thing called the French Pacific Franc.

You learn somthing everyday.

Don't know where you go that from, Chris, I'm much more into German stuff: half of my family comes from there!

France still has a boatload of colonies left; springing to mind are French Guiana like you said, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and then French Polynesia and a ton of little islands dotted around. These tend to be split into departments as in France, so therefore use the currency. I'm certain for the first three that they use the Euro, not sure about the rest.

Yeah seen some topic about that guyana in some site.

The way I interpret the face of the queen in the obverse of the commonwealth countries is that thier is a reason why the queens face is there,For me it is more like a EU currency which they have same national side in case of GB or commonwealth they have same obverse,for me it is more on a trade arrangement on all commowealth countries,but the image also represent power and the image of the queen is inscribe in the coin,that will have an effect if GB have trade agrement on its commonwealth if GB plans joining the EU currency for EU will regulate other things.

Dont know if they have a agrement,arrangement,treaty, or law regarding this commonwealth countries,heard in the news in the past that there is a royal visit in Australia and the side talk was their independece or something like that.

Just thinking if GB join all commonwealth countries also join or the commonwealth countries will have entirely different currency,for if they are independent they can choose the obverse and put other images not the queen images.the question is why they didnt choose other image now, is there a story on queens image on all commonwealth country that will affect if GB join EU currency.

Don't know where you go that from, Chris, I'm much more into German stuff: half of my family comes from there!

France still has a boatload of colonies left; springing to mind are French Guiana like you said, Martinique, Guadeloupe, and then French Polynesia and a ton of little islands dotted around. These tend to be split into departments as in France, so therefore use the currency. I'm certain for the first three that they use the Euro, not sure about the rest.

The French distinguish between DOMs and TOMS. The former are Departments outre Mer and therefore part of France wherever they are (like Corsica), the latter are Territoires outre Mer and have something akin to a colonial status.

G

You often have French in your signature and I'm sure you mentioned it before! I know that you collect German 3mk coins.

You often have French in your signature and I'm sure you mentioned it before! I know that you collect German 3mk coins.

Ah yes the French in my signature; the French version of "I have other fish to fry" is "I have other cats to whip" which I found quite amusing.

Seems more complicated after reading the CN on wikpedia.

The queens face in the coin is symbolic but other recognized her as a head of state, that is interesting.

I'm getting bombed here.

However

Mein Luftkissenfahrzueug ist voler A'ale.

& Mon aeroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.

I'm getting bombed here.

However

Mein Luftkissenfahrzueug ist voler A'ale.

& Mon aeroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.

Shurely shome mishtake. It should be in Hungarian. :D

Chris is right they have thier independece and thier currency is not same a GB but they are not a republic and still member of CN.

In the past the union of scotland from england stengthen the GB both trade and political that is beneficial, is this process can be applied to CANADA AND AUSTRALIA and othe countries have the reverse of queens image.to also stengthen the position of GB when it join the EU for it will became larger,and no tariff is already in place in CN members and for me may soon affect the trade of GB from CN member.for the GB stock is somewhat bought by EU company and the US.

And if it will push through other countries like Japan,China,and India will join for Australia is near to them that this scenario expand the trade of EU that Russia may join not they dont want to but they have because of the size that EU will accumulate, and for me the one that I observe the bigger the country in EU the better is your position.and all be in one coin and even surpass all the empire and conqueror in terms of number of people in size of the Union and trade.

Something to consider seriously with Australian politics, they will more likely become Communist than re-integrate themselves with something in Britain. Australia will become a republic sometime, it nearly happened a few years ago but the referendum was buried in another issue. Frankly you have an independent country on the other side of the globe populated with people whom have very little if any ties to Britain anymore. Many of the earliest settlers in Australia were not settled there willingly so their descendants don't feel a particularly strong affection for Britain nowadays.

Canada, with the exception of the French Canadiens, is a bit different. More people in Canada are there more recently from Britain and still have some ties to the homeland. People I know in Canada are generally favourable in opin of the monarchy though in reality it touches their lives little.

Australia is much more integrated economically with countries in the region, China, Japan, New Zealand, Indonesia etc than it is with Britain. So any such link to what the British shall elect to perform with their currency is moot in Australia.

Canada is much more integrated through trade and diplomacy with the USA than it is with Britain. It all has to do with proximity. The USA and Canada together have the largest trade betwixt their two nations than any other countries. There has been no discussion of using any currency in Canada other than integrating their currency with that of the USA. With the US$ tanking in international currency markets any such notion is unlikely. Canada's $ has appreciated 25% in value against the US $ in the last couple of years. In the short term that is beneficial for Canadian trade, however in the long term it is not.