British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

New Edition Freeman Bronze Coinage

16 hours ago, jelida said:

He clearly took the halfpennies and farthings too as within five years of his initial work he was ready to publish the authoritative bronze volume.

A shame he didn't publish the raw numbers for the lower denominations.

6 hours ago, SilverAge3 said:

Surely this was a long project. He may have even stated how long, but I can't recall.

I'm sure I read he got interested in the 1940s when he was in primary school (I think). I don't remember where I saw that though.

Well by 1965 or so only 2% or %3 of bronze pennies were victorian bun pennies so it really must have been a long slog.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, copper123 said:

Well by 1965 or so only 2% or %3 of bronze pennies were victorian bun pennies so it really must have been a long slog.

I think a lot of the varieties put in the book were already catalogued in other books or information given him by other collectors as he mentions in the first copy of "Bronze coinage" only having 2000 halfpennies 1860-1970.The book was a study of dies and the indicators which he then gave a reference and only needed one example to be able to do that.

The 1956 Halfpenny F474  R12 1001-2000 ,although collectors  fifty years later are only aware of less than 10.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

It still would have been useful to me to have, since many of the other books are inaccessible to some of us. eg. Gouby won't ship to several countries, and now most of his books are out of print, to boot; many of the other books i've seen mentioned are also out of print, and not to be found. It's unfortunate this too was too short of a run, and is similarly near impossible to obtain, esp as the prior ed is so plentifully available.

Edited by SilverAge3

I'm sure that people on here would be prepared to buy in the UK and post to the US.

• Like 1

Hmmm. May need to inquire if seller will post to US.  Got relisted, no buyers last time.