absence of uniformity Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago (edited) 4 minutes ago, DrLarry said: Is this in your own collection? No i just started looking at coins online and the 3rd coin I looked at is this example. https://dorsetcoincompany.co.uk/product/1865-bronze-halfpenny-victoria-young-head/ Edited 2 hours ago by absence of uniformity 1 Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago (edited) This 1865 is on ebay listed as square colons. Edited 2 hours ago by absence of uniformity 1 Quote
DrLarry Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 4 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: This 1865 is on ebay listed as square colons. Yes thats one of mine i like putting things on ebay to get people to look at the site if im trying to raise money for the charity Quote
DrLarry Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 11 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: No i just started looking at coins online and the 3rd coin I looked at is this example. https://dorsetcoincompany.co.uk/product/1865-bronze-halfpenny-victoria-young-head/ They are a lot more obvious in high grades because I think most people would not notice the square edges on worn coins . Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago heres another not on ebay. Just found a third also. so not including your coins thats 3 in 10mins. Quote
DrLarry Posted 54 minutes ago Posted 54 minutes ago (edited) 1 hour ago, absence of uniformity said: heres another not on ebay. Just found a third also. so not including your coins thats 3 in 10mins. That's good so we know there are 6 then so far. It took me 3 years to find them on ebay but I never think to look in other places for any coins except ebay. Edited 45 minutes ago by DrLarry I have found it much easier to find a dozen or so 65 /3s although the second type with the small three is less common I've only found 3 or 4 Quote
DrLarry Posted 52 minutes ago Posted 52 minutes ago 1 hour ago, absence of uniformity said: heres another not on ebay. Just found a third also. so not including your coins thats 3 in 10mins. I suppose there will always be an initial flurry once the information is known. The reason for discussing it is to try to estimate the numbers to work out the rarity Quote
absence of uniformity Posted 37 minutes ago Posted 37 minutes ago 5 minutes ago, DrLarry said: I suppose there will always be an initial flurry once the information is known. The reason for discussing it is to try to estimate the numbers to work out the rarity A quick small random sample of 12 coins, and instantly find 3 examples, I think itis fair to assume the surviving population is actually quite high. A 25% frequency out of such a small sample suggests this wasnt a rare occurrence from a single pair of die imo which is not worth much 😉 Quote
DrLarry Posted 21 minutes ago Posted 21 minutes ago 10 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said: A quick small random sample of 12 coins, and instantly find 3 examples, I think itis fair to assume the surviving population is actually quite high. A 25% frequency out of such a small sample suggests this wasnt a rare occurrence from a single pair of die imo which is not worth much 😉 I suspect time will tell. Im not sure i would agree with you statistical analysis but who am I but a stupid scientist who collects bits of old metal. Before today they were very rare because no one had ever noticed. In my opinion having looked at about 1000 1865 pennies on ebay alone I have found 4. DID you purchase the ones you spotted? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.