British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark240590

Spink catalogues

I've decided it's time to buy an upgrade, I have a 2008 issue ha ! It's not so much of a problem since I only really collect colonial coinage and any British stuff I collect is already very well documented. When do the new coins of the United Kingdom catalogues come out ?

thanks,

Mark.

The Spink 2016 book was just released a while back

5 minutes ago, SWANNY said:

The Spink 2016 book was just released a while back

Thanks, I've just had a quick look not too badly priced will have to invest in one :D 

I wonder if Chris's book will read ok on iPhone & iPad that would be great. Does anyone have any experience with it on said devices ? 

I have the 2015 edition and it works on my iPad no problems. Read it through the Kindle app.

Works perfectly on my Kindle tablet too

Edited by Paulus

10 hours ago, IanB said:

I have the 2015 edition and it works on my iPad no problems. Read it through the Kindle app.

Same here, had no problems with it on the aye pad through kindle app. I left the Spink book alone this year as there was no significant increases from the 2014 to 2015 book to justify paying another £30, so i'll perhaps wait until either the 2017 or 2018 editions before buying another

Edited by azda

I have always skipped 2 or 3 years between buying Spinks. After all it's only a rough guide to value. Anyone taking the prices as gospel deserve to get burned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geordie582 said:

I have always skipped 2 or 3 years between buying Spinks. After all it's only a rough guide to value. Anyone taking the prices as gospel deserve to get burned.

Without doubt mate, I always check using completed listings on eBay and at the auction houses to work out the current market value. :)

7 minutes ago, Mark240590 said:

Without doubt mate, I always check using completed listings on eBay and at the auction houses to work out the current market value. :)

This is a much revisited topic.

I'm not sure why people are so dismissive of Spink's prices. Nobody has a monpoly on accurate numbers. Not all things are overpriced in Spink. The further back in time you go the better they resemble the market.

Using ebay listings could be interesting. 50p washers for 100 quid on ebay - not an uncommon occurrence and something guaranteed to skew the data. A 50 pound item going off at 3 in the morning may well sell at 99p - again skewing the data. Auction houses have as much variation as eBay too, with the sale presentation and contents having far more influence than the reference volume prices.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rob said:

This is a much revisited topic.

I'm not sure why people are so dismissive of Spink's prices. Nobody has a monpoly on accurate numbers. Not all things are overpriced in Spink. The further back in time you go the better they resemble the market.

Using ebay listings could be interesting. 50p washers for 100 quid on ebay - not an uncommon occurrence and something guaranteed to skew the data. A 50 pound item going off at 3 in the morning may well sell at 99p - again skewing the data. Auction houses have as much variation as eBay too, with the sale presentation and contents having far more influence than the reference volume prices.

I'm not a moron. I'm more than aware of what eBay is like ?

I I don't collect data from the completed auctions, I look back, check the prices work out roughly what people are paying per grade and make a judgement based on that. It's never steered me wrong I just like to have a fairly up to date reference guide.

On 18 January 2016 at 10:57 PM, IanB said:

I take it since only the 2014 edition is available on iBooks that the 2016 issue won't be on this platform atall. Does anyone know if it will be ?

I'm just simple. I look at a coin and decide how much I'm willing to pay, then that's my limit! Mind you I'm old enough to have used Seaby's so I might be a bit parsimonious with my prices but, hey!, if I get it, it's a bonus!!

23 minutes ago, Geordie582 said:

I'm just simple. I look at a coin and decide how much I'm willing to pay, then that's my limit! Mind you I'm old enough to have used Seaby's so I might be a bit parsimonious with my prices but, hey!, if I get it, it's a bonus!!

Aye, there's been times I've slightly over paid to get something I've chased a while. Then there's always the other side of the coin where you pick them up for a fraction of what you were rolling to pay !

I've got a 2013 and 2016 copy. I have to say some of the increases in value with some coins over three years look incredible, on paper! In the real world of realised auction prices, much less so.

There's some pretty big differences between Spink and Collectors Coins of Great Britain too. Does anyone know why this is? Which do both focus on etc?

All of them exhibit large differences. I suspect the pricing is largely down to the contributors' pet areas. Anything outside someone's comfort zone is a case of seeing which way the wind is blowing and applying an adjustment to the previous numbers. I would say that applies to all.

As far as pricing goes, the changes at the top end are not that fanciful. People are paying big bucks for specific items.