British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Never seen one like that before ! Is it yours?

Yep, that's mine Mike. How did London Coins describe your pic of the H to the left?

Here's my H to first 8 (Mainly for Ian's benefit - to prove that I can do single shots - SOMETIMES!).

1881Hb F108b H left of centre Date.jpg

6 hours ago, Cliff said:

Yep, that's mine Mike. How did London Coins describe your pic of the H to the left?

Cliff, nothing of any interest. Just this:-

English Coins : Auction 129 : Lot 1700

Date Sold Category Lot Description Sale Price    
06/08/2010
Auction 129
English Coins Lot
Penny 1881H Freeman 108 dies 11+M UNC with around 85% lustre  £225

Guest 1881

How much did the 1875 obv G penny go for in LCA?

Guest Jam

The pennies did well generally. The 1862 half penny date made :o

15 hours ago, Guest Jam said:

I am curious to know how much it made :ph34r:

Won 1 and underbidder on lot 2527. PWA did you get what you bid on?

Edited by brad

14 minutes ago, brad said:

Won 1 and underbidder on lot 2527. PWA did you get what you bid on?

I didnt bid on anything brad but always interested in the prices realised :)

2 minutes ago, brad said:

Indeed!

Come on brad not much happening on here what did you get .

Although untill you get the invoice you cant be sure :)

Edited by PWA 1967

I won a bulk lot. With Freeman 105 I always thought it to be highly underrated and I was hoping to pluck a decent specimen this time, but at £650 (plus another £100 odd juice) I am happy to wait.

1 minute ago, brad said:

I won a bulk lot. With Freeman 105 I always thought it to be highly underrated and I was hoping to pluck a decent specimen this time, but at £650 (plus another £100 odd juice) I am happy to wait.

Yes they are scarce in a nice grade although one will turn up , glad you got one lot you wanted .

6 hours ago, brad said:

I went for the self same coin, bidding £500 by e mail. If real time on line bidding had been possible, I'd have definitely gone higher. As it is I did get the Freeman 106, lot no 3393, which was the other part of Freeman's lot 65 in the 1984 Christies sale. £90 hammer £105.30 with juice. VF and well worth it.   

I got the 1860 F15 Gouby G (no line) for £110 and the 1863 3 over 1 at less than I expected to pay for a nice example. Those were all I bid on. Will post photos when we are sorted here in the new house. They didnt have enough power points in the sixteenth century and it will be months before the electrician comes to stay.

Jerry

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 6:51 PM, Guest Jam said:

9 hours ago, brad said:

I am curious to know how much it made :ph34r:

There were two. I don't think either sold.

Meanwhile the a/UNC 1864 crosslet with numbers scratched in the obverse field, fetched £9k ! - although you can't see the numbers on LCA's photo at all.    

Stephen Lockett  started the bidding for the better 1862 halfpenny date at about 4K, so he either had bids to that amount, or the vendor upped the ante as that was above estimate. The VIGTORIA did well despite poor condition.

Jerry

39 minutes ago, jelida said:

Stephen Lockett  started the bidding for the better 1862 halfpenny date at about 4K, so he either had bids to that amount, or the vendor upped the ante as that was above estimate. The VIGTORIA did well despite poor condition.

Jerry

I thought that about the VIGTORIA.

Yeah, strange about the 1862 halfpenny date. There's no sign of any sale in the realised prices?     

1 hour ago, jelida said:

The VIGTORIA did well despite poor condition.

I said any estimate between 5p and 5 grand was reasonable. At least you have a non-ebay reference point now.

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Yeah, strange about the 1862 halfpenny date. There's no sign of any sale in the realised prices?     

I am not convinced the VIGTORIA is scarcer than the F103 1881H Freeman (discovery) coin, yet it sold for close to twice as much. Surely that reveals a lot about how much my personal opinions are to be respected :huh:. £1400 (nearly £1650 including premium) is a bit for a coin in such a nauseating grade, yet I must concede that the LCA description is not off the mark especially when a narrow date 1877 went for a similar sum albeit 7 years ago.

" probably rarer than the 1877 Narrow date coin, of which an LCGS Fine 20 example realised £7020 in our June 2010 auction " - YUCK YUCK YUCK

Edited by brad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brad said:

I am not convinced the VIGTORIA is scarcer than the F103 1881H Freeman (discovery) coin, yet it sold for close to twice as much. Surely that reveals a lot about how much my personal opinions are to be respected :huh:. £1400 (nearly £1650 including premium) is a bit for a coin in such a nauseating grade, yet I must concede that the LCA description is not off the mark especially when a narrow date 1877 went for a similar sum albeit 7 years ago.

" probably rarer than the 1877 Narrow date coin, of which an LCGS Fine 20 example realised £7020 in our June 2010 auction " - YUCK YUCK YUCK

Very much agree, it's only about a year old plus change that variety so in subsequent years we will see more and more turn up. I think there's around 5 or so VIGTORIAs found since the first now?

I am not convinced it willl be any more common than the other one die rarities. It is more obvious to the eye than some of the more esoteric overcuts which have been known for years. Look at other denominations such as the BBBITANNIAR, RRITT varieties for example. People haven't only been looking at pennies in the last couple of years. Someone paying 20K for a marginally narrower 3 in the date is far more questionable in my opinion.

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If you don't see a realised price it means the coin never sold, they don't post "unsold" against a coin, they just don't post it at all

There are several pennies in the next St James sale, catalogue landed yesterday, also picked up the Stewartby catalogue from Spink on Sunday

51 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Very much agree, it's only about a year old plus change that variety so in subsequent years we will see more and more turn up. I think there's around 5 or so VIGTORIAs found since the first now?

5 specimens in 1 year should only mean there are more to be found. However Rob may have a point the 1862 B over R in BRITT has been documented for more than a couple of decades yet we know of just 5 in existence. Did a forum member but the VIGTORIA?

Edited by brad