British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Anyone had this happen ?

I've not bid for a while and the Ebay screen has altered in the last few seconds

before an item sells , from what it used to show, in that you dont have to write in

your bid , but can click on Ebays suggested bid.

I had bid £81.00 and was outbid at £85.00 so I bid £188.00 ( my decided max )

then the screen showed something like " dont miss it "and £195.00 was showing

so I clicked on that deciding to not miss it for £7.00.

This was in the last 4 seconds, and the next thing that showed was the item sold

for £541.00 which was great for the seller , but what scared me was that I was the

underbidder at £531.00

Someone suggests that what must have happened was that when I clicked £195.00

the Ebay system was about to update the " suggested bid screen " so my bid

registered as the figure that was about to appear, rather than what I could clearly see

Anyone had this happen ?

I've not bid for a while and the Ebay screen has altered in the last few seconds

before an item sells , from what it used to show, in that you dont have to write in

This was in the last 4 seconds, and the next thing that showed was the item sold

for £541.00 which was great for the seller , but what scared me was that I was the

underbidder at £531.00

registered as the figure that was about to appear, rather than what I could clearly see

Sorry about that. :ph34r:

Anyone had this happen ?

underbidder at £531.00

Sorry about that. :ph34r:

I ASSUME you won Then Rob?

I saw this 'suggested bid' thing for the first time too as I haven't bid on anything for months either. I clicked on the place bid button minutes before the end when it was at £79.77 to see what came up and decided the best plan was to put in my max at the last moment and cross fingers as I have always done. I don't understand why anyone would put in small increments other than to avoid being screwed by a large shill bid, but if you are going to bid way in excess of the existing bid and are prepared to go to a certain level, then shill bid or not you should be happy with any result up to your max.

When putting in my bid it jumped to 188, but still put in what I was prepared to pay (which was well above the end price).

In this case there was a third bidder at 501.

Edited by Rob

I did the same with the sixpence that i'm still waiting on, the bid was sitting at £155 in the last Minute but i entered my max amd waited until the last 3 seconds before placing my bid, in the end i won it for £120 less than my max

Simple solution, always use sniping software. I do for all my eBay purchases, I set it at the maximum I am prepared to pay to bid at 6 seconds before close. by far the safest method

• Like 1

I just get a slap from the Mrs ....the postman dose not help by saying another coin for Peter.....but when I get a coin I'm happy as Larry and even make a nice cup of tea for everyone...seems to work :) ....Mrs Peter has my credit card...but it seems to work.My eldest works at our local quality restaurant and she brings home leftovers...yumm

I just get a slap from the Mrs ....the postman dose not help by saying another coin for Peter.....but when I get a coin I'm happy as Larry and even make a nice cup of tea for everyone...seems to work :) ....Mrs Peter has my credit card...but it seems to work.My eldest works at our local quality restaurant and she brings home leftovers...yumm

I have all of mine delivered to work, much safer.

I'm in the happy position of my wife saying that she likes Saxon and Norman coins. :)

I might just try to please her a bit more.

My wife thinks we all need to 'Get a life.' :D

As in lifesize genuine 1933 penny? I'd go along with that :D

As in lifesize genuine 1933 penny? I'd go along with that :D

E would certainly modify her 'anoraks' opinion if I were to bring home one of those. Scott. Found one yet? I'll buy it from you….. :lol:

I'm more frustrated by the unpaid item thing disappearing when someone sends an invoice, and then doesn't bother to tell you you have the invoice.

I'm more frustrated by the unpaid item thing disappearing when someone sends an invoice, and then doesn't bother to tell you you have the invoice.

?

when you buy an item, in your buying screen it tells you, in a box.

outbid

ending soon

watched items ending

awaiting feedback

when you win something it shows

unpaid items

the seller sends invoice through ebay, that disappears and doesnt show unpaid invoices.

if the buyer won something, they might not know.

when you buy an item, in your buying screen it tells you, in a box.

outbid

ending soon

watched items ending

awaiting feedback

when you win something it shows

unpaid items

the seller sends invoice through ebay, that disappears and doesnt show unpaid invoices.

if the buyer won something, they might not know.

Apologies Scott. I'm probably being very dim here, but I'm even more confused than before! :wacko:

I generally know when i've won something on ebay as i'm the highest bidder :D

• Haha 1

OK, say you bid on something that ends early morning, or when you are not online, and you win the item.

it used to tell you you had unpaid item, on your my ebay screen in the box on the side, regardless if you were sent an invoice or not, so if you won.

sometimes you get invoiced for said item, before you get back on.

and the bought items you have to scroll below your watch list.

so if someone who was bidding, comes on, has a quick look and sees no unpaid items because they got invoiced.

it is basically ebay making life harder for everyone by making stupid, unneeded changes.

OK, say you bid on something that ends early morning, or when you are not online, and you win the item.

it used to tell you you had unpaid item, on your my ebay screen in the box on the side, regardless if you were sent an invoice or not, so if you won.

sometimes you get invoiced for said item, before you get back on.

and the bought items you have to scroll below your watch list.

so if someone who was bidding, comes on, has a quick look and sees no unpaid items because they got invoiced.

it is basically ebay making life harder for everyone by making stupid, unneeded changes.

No worries. Got it. Thanks. :)

There is a small bell tab in your ebay, this tells you whats happening, like items ending, pay now etc

This probably accounts for the large number of unpaid item cases I'm having to open lately. Buyers just aren't noticing their wins. (In which case, why bid?)

I get emails saying "congratulations and where's the money?"

I rely on those to know if I've won, unless I'm actually online at the time the sale ends.

Of course, I don't have a fancy phone with ebay apps and so on. But it will let me check for emails. Does nobody else do it like that?

:unsure:

yea I know about the emails, but it is just a silly thing to remove.