British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Bought this at the weekend from birmingham (some idiot had to go when the storm was on didn't they), I just love the tone on it and its a variety I don't have

Sparrows Balloon farthing - if you put it into google it gives you a real interesting read

IMG_20200210_0003.jpg

Edited by copper123

IMG_20200210_0004.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, copper123 said:

Sparrows Balloon farthing 

A very nice example. The Sparrow balloon tokens were some of the first I collected in this series, just need the RRR piece for the set of six

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Very nice, this is my only example

ud-farthing-ironmonger-bishopsgate-london-isaac-earlysman-sparrow_01_01_2400.jpg

I have this one as well _ i am not sure really if these are actual circulating coins or advertising pieces , but it does not seem to matter they are lovely pieces of social history

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, copper123 said:

circulating coins or advertising pieces

They're a bit of both really and fall into the unofficial farthing series of tokens. There is a wide variety of different trades covered from bakers, grocers and tobacconists through to tea dealers, wine and spirits merchants and photographers 

• Like 1

20200211_194144.jpg

• Like 1

From the Token Book Two by Withers

20200211_194012.jpg

I love the idea of "Leather sauce" some sort of early  boot polish I would think - great name.

From the book above what are the two grade prices please ? It does not give a grade or even a year for the values , to know the year its published would be very  usefull

I would guess VF and EF though its only a guess

8 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I would guess VF and EF though its only a guess

Spot on with the grades. The book was published in 2013

• Like 1

I must be honest  I have never seen a brass coin - that will be the next one I buy , hopefully , by the price it looks quite common

Getting there, slowly, with this series .... just landed

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_kempsons_blue_coat_charity_school_dh_197a_02_ref_02007_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

• Like 3

That's a lovely example 👍🏻 Uncirculated?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:52 AM, copper123 said:

I must be honest  I have never seen a brass coin - that will be the next one I buy , hopefully , by the price it looks quite common

Good luck ! I can't find one of the brass ones in nice grade; my collection of these is in a similar state to Will's; don't have the "RRR" one or the silver/gilt specimen listed. 

Did pick up the following unlisted gilt prooflike piece recently though: 

sparrowprooflike.JPG.857656e62dce91b916f3e12bbece21b7.JPGsparrowprooflike4.JPG.7230740a6962790181f7da66c3d8c7d1.JPGsparrowprooflike2.JPG.c9b4290a395e7d899132d40e8e95ebfe.JPGsparrowprooflike3.JPG.46d632af8a20e0c6283fe636fd7a8f86.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:18 PM, copper123 said:

I have this one as well _ i am not sure really if these are actual circulating coins or advertising pieces , but it does not seem to matter they are lovely pieces of social history

Very nice - this is a really exceptional quality strike for this issue, even if there's a bit of wear. 

16 hours ago, will1976 said:

That's a lovely example 👍🏻 Uncirculated?

I would say so, yes :)

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, Paulus said:

Getting there, slowly, with this series .... just landed

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_kempsons_blue_coat_charity_school_dh_197a_02_ref_02007_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

Gorgeous.

Just one puzzle - how did they know in 1794 that the picture would be enlarged when posted in a forum in 2020?

• Haha 3

n2tsis4u1wgj.jpeg

1?toolid=20001&campid=5338203720&customid=page&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.collectors.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1033249%2Fbeauty-on-a-budget-cant-go-wrong-with-wyon%23pagetop&mpt=69310378

Edited by VickySilver

3 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

n2tsis4u1wgj.jpeg

1?toolid=20001&campid=5338203720&customid=page&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.collectors.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1033249%2Fbeauty-on-a-budget-cant-go-wrong-with-wyon%23pagetop&mpt=69310378

Any chance of a bigger picture please Eric ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Any chance of a bigger picture please Eric ?

Almost gives me  nostalgia for the era of Azda's dinner plates...

It's been very quiet on the token front for me lately so decided to splash out on the following.......Ottley's Kempson restrike in copper of the 'New Jerusalem Temple' 

Had my eye on it for awhile and just thought what the heck, why not!

20200331_153020.jpg

20200331_152934.jpg

• Like 2