British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

First post

Hello All

I have been reading the posts on the forum for quite a while and is now making now making my first post. I used to collect coins as a kid and have restarted the hobby a few years back. I like to collect crown size coins and have only got a very small collection. I brought the few coins I have from auctions and have to leave absentee bids as I generally cannot attend. The problem I found is that the auction photos are often not great and the actual coins, when in hand, can be half a grade out from the description sometimes. I therfore bid conservatively and don't win things often (Just as well as my budget is modest). Anyway, I would like to share images of my two favourite coins: a high grade 1898 crown with a very nice golden tone and an 1818 crown. The 1818 crown was slabbed by cgs as a new variety to them (second 1 in 1818 with no serif) and graded EF70. Like most members, I don't slab coins because I need someone to tell me the grade but I like to be able to look at both sides easily and can enjoy the coins in a shaded corner of the garden! I have only seen one other 1818 crown with on serif to second 1 and that was on ebay. post-7623-048003400 1349213747_thumb.jpgPhotos to follow:

1818 crown observepost-7623-083533700 1349214295_thumb.jpg

1818 crown reversepost-7623-084968200 1349214368_thumb.jpg

Hi Sword and welcome

Each to their own on slabbing.

I have a few slabbed coins but have never had any slabbed.

Your two crowns look fantastic.

Keep posting beauties like those. :)

Yes, Sword, we never tire on here of seeing coins of that quality! Welcome aboard, you obviously have great taste! :)

1818 crown reversepost-7623-084968200 1349214368_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, those are fantastic examples!

A crown collection is a wonderful thing to have.

Not one for the person who has no patience or is without deep pockets :)

Welcome to the forums Sword :)

You obviously have a good eye - those are two lovely crowns. And better, in my opinion, to have two like that, rather than a dozen in VF or less. (Post-1816, I mean - early milled is a different kettle of fish, for which you'd need VERY deep pockets! :D )

Edited by Peckris

Very nice, great introduction and great looking coins :D

Edited by Colin G.

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to benefitting from all your advice and expertise!

Hi Sword,

Welcome to the forum. That 1818 is very impressive.

Hi Sword,

Welcome to the forum. That 1818 is very impressive.

Thank you. :)

Welcome to the forum - some very nice crowns there.