British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Will_loves_collecting_coin

Brand new to collecting

Hello everybody! Im new to collecting coins, only been doing it just over a month but already i have collected 31 coins!! I LOVE it!! Is this site for just british coins or for british people who collect coins, i was under the impression it was for british collectors. Anyway thought id introduce myself, I'm Will, 23 and i live in Stoke-on-Trent. My dad and Brother are also collecting beautiful coins!

Here are my coins so far, i also have some in the post on their way!

These are all 1oz

2x 2012 Early release NGC MS69 $1 American Eagle

2x 2012 Dragon Privy mark reverse proof PCGS SP69 $5 Silver maple leaf

2012 NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo New Zealand $1 Kiwi

2011 NGC MS69 Gilt Australia $1 Year of the Rabbit

2012 NGC MS70 Early Release China 10Y Panda

1921 PCGS MS64 Morgan

2012 NGC MS69 Early Release Australia $1 Koala

2012 NGC MS70 Early Release Australia $1 Koala

2011(s) NGC (ungraded) GEM UNCIRCULATED 20 coin tube $1 American Eagles

Finally

2011 PCGS MS69 DMPL First Strike 5oz 25c Glacier NP

Hope you like!

Will

Welcome to the forum.

As you are obviously new to the hobby, what are your reasons for collecting, investment, themed or just a general interest? I see the list and notice that most are modern. Generally speaking these are best purchased in the after market and not direct from the various mints who have a rather large markup over resale value. Are you specifically looking at slabbed coins? If so, beware of the number dictating the price. In this country collectors do not attach much if any premium to a coin simply because it has been given a high grade by a TPG. Slabbed coins tend to be much more popular across the pond - this is a topic which comes up on a regular basis.

For investment and i love the look of them, they are stunning. I haven't bought these straight from the mint as they are usually WAY above. I have bought these coins at a fantastic price. I am collecting slabbed sealed coins as they are worth more money compared to the same coin that isn't, I've been watching for a long time what different coins go for on ebay. What do you mean the number dictating the price?

Thanks

Will

For investment and i love the look of them, they are stunning. I haven't bought these straight from the mint as they are usually WAY above. I have bought these coins at a fantastic price. I am collecting slabbed sealed coins as they are worth more money compared to the same coin that isn't, I've been watching for a long time what different coins go for on ebay. What do you mean the number dictating the price?

Thanks

Will

In the US there is a greater adherence to the grade given on the slab. It takes the thinking out of collecting/investment because a certain coin in a certain grade will cost so much without regard to the aesthetics of the item. Slabbing in itself costs money and this is recouped by the seller for more expensive pieces by upping the price. However, with the modern pieces and consistent conditions employed by the mints around the world, many of these pieces would grade or are already graded MS69 and will never be rare, so you have to consider the intrinsic metal value of a silver coin for instance. An MS70 strike has been deemed by the TPG to be a perfect strike, but it is only one person's opinion. Search slabs on this forum and you will find many threads where different opinions are voiced. Many collectors don't like them, but you will find that out if you read a bit.

You might find you are at the bottom of a very steep learning curve. :ph34r:

Edited by Rob

Thanks

Will

In the US there is a greater adherence to the grade given on the slab. It takes the thinking out of collecting/investment because a certain coin in a certain grade will cost so much without regard to the aesthetics of the item. Slabbing in itself costs money and this is recouped by the seller for more expensive pieces by upping the price. However, with the modern pieces and consistent conditions employed by the mints around the world, many of these pieces would grade or are already graded MS69 and will never be rare, so you have to consider the intrinsic metal value of a silver coin for instance. An MS70 strike has been deemed by the TPG to be a perfect strike, but it is only one person's opinion. Search slabs on this forum and you will find many threads where different opinions are voiced. Many collectors don't like them, but you will find that out if you read a bit.

You might find you are at the bottom of a very steep learning curve. :ph34r:

Welcome to collecting and to the forum Will! Please listen to Rob he certainly knows what he is talking about, I wish I had joined the forum earlier in my collecting!

Thanks for the info! Some of the coins i have or are on there way have sold out at the mints and i have access to some that are still available elsewhere. Or another example is, I've just ordered a kookaburra, theres only been 10,000 minted and 370 are proof 70, so id say thats rare. Like i said these are an investment also. I watched a certain 2001 panda in a slab go for £1100 on ebay last weekend, if i can do that with some of my rare coins in 10 years i'll be laughing. Im not really in to old coins or coins that are really common such as pennies etc. But also i am part of a business where i make money being part of the company where i get my coins from. The company is ISN

Cheers

Anyone who likes to collect coins can profit from this business. Its brand new in the UK, its started but its official launch isn't until september. We have the CEO's from america coming over next saturday to walsall. Going to be a great day, by the way, anyone can attend! Some of you may be aware that the Silver value is going to go through the roof in the next few years, 2 big reasons being china opens its stock markets this month to the everyday joe to be able to invest in silver, and another is that we are using up more silver than we are mining, its in everything like clothes, phones, computers, etc etc. The american dollar is losing value and industry experts say its going to fail BIG TIME. Some countries in the middle east WILL NOT do business with the petrodollar, they are only using gold and silver. Amazing. Currently silver is at $28 per ounce. So the time to invest in silver is now. Investors are doing exactly that, one being the great Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump.

My Brothers friend is heading up the UK devision so thats why i am involved. Its exciting times for sure! If anyone wants to know how they can collect coins but also make money on the side (no selling coins, no holding stock, nothing like that) that i can put you on the phone to the right bloke. Or come to Facebook and add me and we can chat etc. Willholdcroft@mail.com

I appreciate the knowledge you guys have, but I'm coming at it at a slightly different angle, and any questions i need answering i know where to come! :)

Will

Thanks for the info! Some of the coins i have or are on there way have sold out at the mints and i have access to some that are still available elsewhere. Or another example is, I've just ordered a kookaburra, theres only been 10,000 minted and 370 are proof 70, so id say thats rare. Like i said these are an investment also. I watched a certain 2001 panda in a slab go for £1100 on ebay last weekend, if i can do that with some of my rare coins in 10 years i'll be laughing. Im not really in to old coins or coins that are really common such as pennies etc. But also i am part of a business where i make money being part of the company where i get my coins from. The company is ISN

Cheers

A mintage of 10000 is not rare. 370 slabbed as Proof 70 might be absorbed by the US market, but you have to consider what collectors in this country are looking for. A slab selling on ebay for £1100 may or may not be indicative of the greater market - I don't know, but I've also seen flat 1797 cartwheel pennies finish at over £200 or the infamous no date 20p. At the height of the craze for these 'rare' coins there were 560 or more on ebay at the same time and still people were paying £300 for a coin that in reality is worth £30ish. That's the difference between the collector and the investor mentality. All those 'investors' who are willing to pay many multiples of bullion value for a mass produced commemorative issue will only make money if they can sell to someone for an even larger markup. You can exclude the collector from those willing to pay because they have seen what past issues have settled at once granny has bought a set or two and then sold at a loss. I wish you success in your investment venture.

Anyone who likes to collect coins can profit from this business. Its brand new in the UK, its started but its official launch isn't until september. We have the CEO's from america coming over next saturday to walsall. Going to be a great day, by the way, anyone can attend! Some of you may be aware that the Silver value is going to go through the roof in the next few years, 2 big reasons being china opens its stock markets this month to the everyday joe to be able to invest in silver, and another is that we are using up more silver than we are mining, its in everything like clothes, phones, computers, etc etc. The american dollar is losing value and industry experts say its going to fail BIG TIME. Some countries in the middle east WILL NOT do business with the petrodollar, they are only using gold and silver. Amazing. Currently silver is at $28 per ounce. So the time to invest in silver is now. Investors are doing exactly that, one being the great Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump.

My Brothers friend is heading up the UK devision so thats why i am involved. Its exciting times for sure! If anyone wants to know how they can collect coins but also make money on the side (no selling coins, no holding stock, nothing like that) that i can put you on the phone to the right bloke. Or come to Facebook and add me and we can chat etc. Willholdcroft@mail.com

I appreciate the knowledge you guys have, but I'm coming at it at a slightly different angle, and any questions i need answering i know where to come! :)

Will

If you think the silver value is going to go through the roof, why are you telling me about it? You should be keeping mum and hoovering up all available supplies to take advantage of the certain rise in prices. It is all to do with people hyping up a price so that they can take a cut of the transaction. Nothing wrong in being a middle-man as that is the best way to make money - no stock, just a couple of contacts who you act for. However, the same thing happened in the 1970s and early 1980 when Bunker Hunt tried to manipulate the silver market. The price at its height was $50 an ounce, up from $10, or a bit above where it is now. It rapidly collapsed back to a little over $10 an ounce. So if you have a few spare billion lying around to manipulate the market I wish you well, but hope you won't be too p'd off when it collapses and takes your investment with it. Prices for any raw material will always fluctuate with occasional bubbles, but if someone is sussed trying to manipulate the market, it (the market) will know where to focus its efforts to destroy the imbalance. However, if you decide to hold indefinitely despite a falling price, you could at least end up with a few million ounces of physical silver to make more MS70 slabbed coins and recoup the losses that way. :) Patina Collection pieces anyone? :unsure:

firstly I'm not here to debate, I'm purely telling people if they wish to make an income on the side of their full time job, or even go full time with this business, then this is a great business to go in to. Why would i be telling you, well I'm not the only person that is aware of it, just do a bit of research and you'll see whats happening in the world with silver. Its about getting real money in to hands of the everyday bloke on the street. Paper money is worthless, we can see this. The governments just keeps printing this trash and its bringing its value down. In 2006, a silver ounce could by you 4 gallons of fuel, today it can buy you double that. Try doing that with a tenner.

This whole business isn't about collecting coins on the whole. Thats a side thing. I give people the opportunity to get involved and make some money part time. If they don't want to make any, thats fine. It costs nothing to take a look at the business. We all work as a family, theres no competition, if i want to succeed my friends have to succeed so we all help each other. Its brilliant.

http://aspecialgift4u.com/silver-uk.php?id=93

Take care

Will

firstly I'm not here to debate, I'm purely telling people if they wish to make an income on the side of their full time job, or even go full time with this business, then this is a great business to go in to. Why would i be telling you, well I'm not the only person that is aware of it, just do a bit of research and you'll see whats happening in the world with silver. Its about getting real money in to hands of the everyday bloke on the street. Paper money is worthless, we can see this. The governments just keeps printing this trash and its bringing its value down. In 2006, a silver ounce could by you 4 gallons of fuel, today it can buy you double that. Try doing that with a tenner.

This whole business isn't about collecting coins on the whole. Thats a side thing. I give people the opportunity to get involved and make some money part time. If they don't want to make any, thats fine. It costs nothing to take a look at the business. We all work as a family, theres no competition, if i want to succeed my friends have to succeed so we all help each other. Its brilliant.

Take care

Will

Therein lies your problem Will, you are on a coin collectors forum!

Like Rob, I am a dealer. I have advised clients where to put money and over shortish terms they have all seen an increase of up to 100% on some purchases. They don't particularly care if the bottom drops out of the market though because they like the coins that they have bought.

You may get a bite or two in here, but I doubt it.

If you want some silver to buy do give me a call though as I am sitting on about 2 kilos of lower grade/scrap and also have plenty of silver proof stuff in stock.

Take care

Will

Therein lies your problem Will, you are on a coin collectors forum!

Like Rob, I am a dealer. I have advised clients where to put money and over shortish terms they have all seen an increase of up to 100% on some purchases. They don't particularly care if the bottom drops out of the market though because they like the coins that they have bought.

You may get a bite or two in here, but I doubt it.

If you want some silver to buy do give me a call though as I am sitting on about 2 kilos of lower grade/scrap and also have plenty of silver proof stuff in stock.

Theres no problem being on a coin collectors website, being part of the business means i can collect coins from the company(they used to be JUST a coin collecting company). When i join i can earn money and collect coins. I didn't go in the business to collect coins, but now i have realised what fun it is collecting. Its the same for me, if they lose value, i wouldnt care as they are fantastic. But i don't believe, like experts also don't believe that it will drop, we believe its going to rise considerably within the next 10 years. Maybe even as short as 5 years. A couple of bites would be amazing. We are a network, those 2 bites may set on two, and those two may set on two etc etc. That would be amazing for me. I don't expect to get tons of interest from this site. Im trying lots of different places! :)

I would be interested in buying some scrap and my brother would also!! Thank you! Do you sell on ebay? If so, fire the link over!

Cheers

Theres no problem being on a coin collectors website, being part of the business means i can collect coins from the company(they used to be JUST a coin collecting company). When i join i can earn money and collect coins. I didn't go in the business to collect coins, but now i have realised what fun it is collecting. Its the same for me, if they lose value, i wouldnt care as they are fantastic. But i don't believe, like experts also don't believe that it will drop, we believe its going to rise considerably within the next 10 years. Maybe even as short as 5 years. A couple of bites would be amazing. We are a network, those 2 bites may set on two, and those two may set on two etc etc. That would be amazing for me. I don't expect to get tons of interest from this site. Im trying lots of different places! :)

I would be interested in buying some scrap and my brother would also!! Thank you! Do you sell on ebay? If so, fire the link over!

Cheers

That's great. Many many people get hooked for what may seem quite accidental reasons. But now you're hooked, do bear in mind that the people on this forum have years of experience in collecting AND dealing too, so their advice should not be taken lightly. You clearly know quite a bit about investment, but investing in coins and collecting coins are two different things, though there may be an overlap on occasion.

When you're ready to learn more about this amazing hobby, the people here can offer you advice on books, sources for coins, research material, all kinds of stuff. Good luck!

Will

Ahhhh haaa, the CEOs coming over from America to tell you Brits what you should sell is these lovely coins in slabs that are more or less bullion value, but if you buy from us at our mark up price you can sell these on at your mark up price. Sounds a bit like a selling scam to me. I also note you said you are new, yet you seem to be spouting a lot of spiel about this and that, are you sure these people are'nt the scientology group who have already brainwashed you into beleiving that X is actually Y.

Well when you get bitten, come back and do let us know, you seem to apparently know what UK buyers want, coins in slabs? No, this is'nt what they want, or at least 90% don't want. You also seem to believe they want bullion coins, perhaps 15% want, unfortunately i think you've been blinded by the Americans talk and have been a little blinkered. So will the American be talking at the O2 areana or in your house in Wallsall?

Edited by azda

Oi jock what has Walsall got to do with anything, a couple of shootings and our name is mud :o and you could at least spell Walsall correctly :lol:

"A couple of bites would be amazing. We are a network, those 2 bites may set on two, and those two may set on two etc" sounds a bit like a pyramid scheme to me :ph34r:

Oi jock what has Walsall got to do with anything, a couple of shootings and our name is mud :o and you could at least spell Walsall correctly :lol:

"A couple of bites would be amazing. We are a network, those 2 bites may set on two, and those two may set on two etc" sounds a bit like a pyramid scheme to me :ph34r:

Hey my English Brummie type friend, he did mention WALSALL in his first post, don't shoot the messenger or else another shooting in WALSALL :rolleyes: Definately pyramid scheme which it seems our American friend who's doing the presenting has already bitten our friend in WALSALL :ph34r:

Leave the Jock alone we got him on board about 300+ years ago...I also met a nice bit of totty in Kenmore a few years back....and yes we kipped down at Taymouth castle (rich mate dad owned it at the time)...now that was a lads holiday ;)

Ahhhh kenmore, love that Place, very tranquil until some english yobs come visiting like they did 300 years ago ;)

Taymouth castle now do holiday lets, am planning hopefully 1 or 2 weeks there next year. I went camping there when i was 14 or 15 and used to jump in the loch at 8 in the morning. It put hairs on yir chest. Good days those

Hi Will and welcome. Just for interest I looked up the 2012 NGC MS69 Early Release Australia $1 Koala. It appears that on ebay I can get an MS70 for around £60.

Just out of interest (and since the link you posted doesn't actually have any prices), how much will an ounce silver coin set me back? A ball-park figure will do.

Ahhhh kenmore, love that Place, very tranquil until some english yobs come visiting like they did 300 years ago ;)

Taymouth castle now do holiday lets, am planning hopefully 1 or 2 weeks there next year. I went camping there when i was 14 or 15 and used to jump in the loch at 8 in the morning. It put hairs on yir chest. Good days those

The River Tay also has its attraction.We also walked up a stream in Aberfeldy...how we all survived I will never know.We lived on a diet of beer,scotch and toast

I'm wondering if Will bit off a little more than he could chew with this thread?

I wonder how he got on on the other forums he was approaching? ;)

ISN = International Silver Network.

I sold something to one of their wonks last year. He then spent about two months trying to sell slabbed crap to me! I had to tell him that my policy vis à vis slabs involved large portions of Dremel.

Will seems to keep popping in but not answering any questions.

He's probably Realised he's chosen the wrong forum to peddle his bullion on

He's probably Realised he's chosen the wrong forum to peddle his bullion on

Well, if he's buying ounce bullion coins for ebay prices then he'd better hope prices rise as he thinks. A £47 loss per 'coin' is going to be difficult to cover ...