British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

engraved coins

Thanks azda, looks interesting, epecially as it had a D in the centre - pity that's not my birthday though! email the details and I'll have a butchers :)

"JD" or "ID", I'm not sure which. The names James and Isaac were both fairly common back then so it could be either.

Oh yes Peck. I just saw that as a single D. You know there could be a whole raft of new "coin intial identifiaction skills" out there to be learnt!

here are 11 groats I have which have various etchings, every one has been etched on the obverse.

post-5660-087880800 1328901490_thumb.jpg

I like some of those designs, the intricate floral ones especially. Did you come by these all together or have you collected them individually? It's interesting that they are all the same denomination. its a little frustrationg when there is no date on the engraved side don't you think?

I like some of those designs, the intricate floral ones especially. Did you come by these all together or have you collected them individually? It's interesting that they are all the same denomination. its a little frustrationg when there is no date on the engraved side don't you think?

I got the Groats all together from a friend. I dont collect them as such, just keep them as pieces of interest along with tokens etc. Here are others

post-5660-004605100 1328913423_thumb.jpg

Vic old head 6d

Ed 7th 3d

Vic jubilee 3d

Ed 7th 3d with a jewel

Vic young 1/2d

Geo 6th brass 3d

Vic young headFarthing with mount

Vic young 3d

It would be nice if they dated them.The workmanship on some of them really is excellent.

Here is one of my favourites, George 5th 3d, not etched but flattened and painted. Such a pity it has chipped at 10 o'clock.

post-5660-028972500 1328913969_thumb.jpg

I've maybe seen that before, but :lol: what a gem! Is that yours Derek?

No, it was sold on e-bay a few years back, I did bid for it but unsurprisingly it went out of reach. Another one which got away was a 1940 penny re-cut with a swastika instead of the union jack.

Someone with a time viewer that could look 70 years ahead. :D

I believe the swastika was a good luck symbol before it was adopted by the Nazis.

I seem to remember it being used by the National Savings Bank pre war.

I have a worcester salt token with a swastika for good luck

post-5660-014493900 1328914413_thumb.jpg

Some nice examples there too. I like wondering about their unique stories behind them. I have some from the 1st and 2nd world wars with the names and rank nos. Of the men that engraved them which i find special too. I will have to upload later as i am not at my computer. Thanks for sharing!

No, it was sold on e-bay a few years back, I did bid for it but unsurprisingly it went out of reach. Another one which got away was a 1940 penny re-cut with a swastika instead of the union jack.

I believe the swastika was a good luck symbol before it was adopted by the Nazis.

Interesting that the Nazis reversed the design, but I guess they had to as it doesn't read "NZ" the original way round.

Some nice examples there too. I like wondering about their unique stories behind them. I have some from the 1st and 2nd world wars with the names and rank nos. Of the men that engraved them which i find special too. I will have to upload later as i am not at my computer. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie I thought you might be interested in this site if you haven't seen it already?

http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/lovetokens.htm

Debbie I thought you might be interested in this site if you haven't seen it already?

http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/lovetokens.htm

Yes i have seen it Paulus, its safely stored in my favorites along with this forum! Thanks for thinking of me though! Sorry about a double post, i am just getting to grips with a new tablet.....

Yes i have seen it Paulus, its safely stored in my favorites along with this forum! Thanks for thinking of me though! Sorry about a double post, i am just getting to grips with a new tablet.....

Yes, Valium can affect one in many different ways! :-)

Shusss....I am not supposed to be looking at coins for the next few weeks as we are currently in florida " Dysneying" it! (Thanks for the link though Bagtrap!)

well debbie, if youve finished globetrotting......you may want to look at lot 2158 in the forthcoming lockdales auction.

ski.

Thanks Ski, I'll take a look - now I know about Lockdales ;)

Hi all newbie here just started collecting my first purchase was an assortment of 3d coins.Amongst them i found one engraved with the lords prayer hopefully ive attached the pic correctly i looks like it was done on an Edward VII 3d coin :)

sorry about poor piccy

Yes I have come across quite a few coins with the Lords Prayer engraved on. They seem to come in all sizes and denominations. I have heard The theory that some were made for soldiers to take with them during the War. As to what value, as with lots of engraved coins, its really sentimenal value or just what someone is willing to pay. The other side of the coin wouldn't really be of much interest to straight forward collectors as its quite poor. Just as a side line you might find this link interesting which explains that with todays technology the Lord Prayer can now be engraved onto the size of a pin head!

here

But welcome to the forum!

:)

The value dosent really intrest me that much.im just amazed they managed to do the engraving :)Thanks for the welcome

Its not actually a Swastika, the leg of the Swastika points at the 180 degree, this has the flat at 180 degree. This is the swastika, or Hakenkreuz as it's called in German, distinctly different in use.

post-5057-085808900 1337083196_thumb.jpg

Unusual one, initials RW? on a Brazilian 100 Reis 1871:

debbie.jpg

Unusual one, initials RW? on a Brazilian 100 Reis 1871:

debbie.jpg

Hi Bagerap, I think you mean 1870! It looks like that coin might be cupro-nickle like the german 19thC coins.

Nice to see a token made from a different coin though. What size is it?