British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest richbedforduk

Florins ~ Such Fun!

Guest richbedforduk

So I have now moved on to the florins. I thought bigger coins, less wear, I'll fly through these. NO. I started with a shuddering stop.

The first problem, albeit a minor problem, is the WW initial. I have been looking in the truncation area. Is that the right area? Is there a WW to see?

FLORIN1849OB0001.jpg

The second problem is the ruddy dates. Not only do they use roman numerals, but they use gothic text which I really struggle to read. What a pain! I think that this date reads mdccclv. Which would 1855. Have I got that right?

FLORINDATEQUERY.jpg

Thanks again.

So I have now moved on to the florins. I thought bigger coins, less wear, I'll fly through these. NO. I started with a shuddering stop.

The first problem, albeit a minor problem, is the WW initial. I have been looking in the truncation area. Is that the right area? Is there a WW to see?

FLORIN1849OB0001.jpg

The second problem is the ruddy dates. Not only do they use roman numerals, but they use gothic text which I really struggle to read. What a pain! I think that this date reads mdccclv. Which would 1855. Have I got that right?

FLORINDATEQUERY.jpg

Thanks again.

On the 'godless' 1849 florin, the WW is between the truncation and the date. On your picture, you can just about see the very top of the WW which has all but been obliterated by the line inside the beads. As luck would have it, the obliterated WW is the scarcer variety.

Your other example is indeed 1855.

I thought bigger coins, less wear.

Sadly no. Bigger coins, more surface area to get damaged. More momentum to damage others.

What's the world coming to? Does nobody learn Latin in school anymore?

Nemo me impune lacessit

Illegitimi non carborundum

Brute aderat forte

Caesar adsum jam

Brute sic in omnibus

Caesar sic intram.

Will that do?

I was fortunate in that my old Dad taught me Roman numerals when I was about six (why, I have no idea) and I've remembered them ever since.

Edited by Red Riley

I am a good Catholic boy and we were taught it as a core subject. I could never understand why as mass had stopped being said in Latin many years before. I then got interested in coins and realised that our head teacher must have been a numismatist!!

Vidi Verdi Vici

Vidi Verdi Vici

Which translated means, 'I saw, green, I conquered'

Back to school Dave...

Vidi Verdi Vici

Back to school Dave...

That's entirely appropriate in a numismatic context. Post the results. :D

Vidi Verdi Vici

You mean Vini Vidi Vici... or as a school-acquaintance once incorrectly quoted in a talk to a room full of 14 year old boys Vidi Vici Vini - much laughing ensued!

Guest richbedforduk

I was glad when Wogan came off the Radio 2 Breakfast Show. I've never trusted someone who tells jokes in Latin. Very passe.

I was about six
===== I was about VI :D

Vidi Verdi Vici

Back to school Dave...

Or alternatively, it means "I saw, I wrote Aïda, I conquered" ... :D

Guest richbedforduk

The Latin professor's class was conjugating verbs and it got to be Julius's turn. He had not been paying close attention. He turned to the student beside him and asked, "What's the verb?"

She replied, "Damn if I know."

So our hero sat up and conjugated:

Damifino, damifinas, damifinat.

Damifinamus, damifinatis, damifinant.

The Latin professor's class was conjugating verbs and it got to be Julius's turn. He had not been paying close attention. He turned to the student beside him and asked, "What's the verb?"

:lol:

But I thought it was an irregular verb like fero, ferre, tuli, latum? Damifino, Ihaven'taclue, Don'taskme, Whydon'tyouGoogle

:lol:

My Latin teacher, who doubled as a certified sadist, had a novel way of reminding those who forgot the difference between the active and the passive voice. He'd borrow a gym shoe from the lad with the largest feet in the class and ask the forgetful one to bend over. "Mr M***** slippers X - active", followed by a whack. Another whack and "X is slippered by Mr M***** - passive". That was one of his milder tortures. The amazing thing is that we all took it as read that teachers were allowed to do things like that. It sounds like Dotheboys Hall in the 19th century, but it was actually a grammar school in the 1960s. O tempora, o mores!

But I thought it was an irregular verb like fero, ferre, tuli, latum? Damifino, Ihaven'taclue, Don'taskme, Whydon'tyouGoogle