British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary

1911 Pennies

A possible explanation of the differences in shape, spacing and general appearence of the border teeth and rim on the obverse is that there were specimens of the early George V coins where the obverse rim is abnormally raised. This applies to 1911, 1912 and 1913.

And most of all to 1912H which possibly has the highest rims of all? One reason why so many obverses survived in around VF or near to it.

It has been very interesting reading through this Topic. I certainly know where to look now should I encounter any 1911 Pennies to check if it is a 'Hollow Neck.'

Great work Gary. Well Done. :)

Indeed... will be interesting how long the rarity of this is maintained! With everyone here now looking for them my recent purchase from Mr Workman may depreciate... :(

Indeed... will be interesting how long the rarity of this is maintained! With everyone here now looking for them my recent purchase from Mr Workman may depreciate... :(

I've only found the 2 in the past 8-10 years or so..... So they definitely are UNCOMMON.... especially with so few acknowledged

The only way that it may depreciate is if hundreds were found and the market was flooded with them. As pointed out they are uncommon, so I think that your purchase would be quite safe. :)

I bought mine from Michael Gouby then later I pulled two off of ebay. The first I respun onto ebay with disapointing results, I got about £30 for it. The second I put into a London Coins auction and got about £30 for it. :( In both cases about 1/3 what I paid for mine :angry:

The only way that it may depreciate is if hundreds were found and the market was flooded with them. As pointed out they are uncommon, so I think that your purchase would be quite safe. :)

Cool, thanks guys! Was beginning to think I'd bought into a variety too early like my muppett of a friend who paid £250 for a dateless 20p! I did warn him :blink:

The hollow Neck tag should be laid to rest as there are normal 1911 pennies that display this characteristic, at least in pictures anyway. Davidrj bought this penny thinking it was a "hollow neck" and I can see why, only to be confirmed wrong on receiving it.

1911normal.jpg

Interested to see this listing of 8 1912H pennies, definitely a hint of "hollowness" in the two top left

Could this be where the confusion arises re the reported hollow necks for 1912? None look to have border teeth prominent enough for Gouby X

Are there two dies here with Gouby X being a 3rd variant in 1911. or can we put this down to strike quality?

Interested to see this listing of 8 1912H pennies, definitely a hint of "hollowness" in the two top left

Could this be where the confusion arises re the reported hollow necks for 1912? None look to have border teeth prominent enough for Gouby X

Are there two dies here with Gouby X being a 3rd variant in 1911. or can we put this down to strike quality?

I just did a quick check of 70 x 1912 & 1912H pennies I have and none of them are Gouby X. I appreciate this doesn't prove anything, but it might help. As an aside, I've never been convinced by the 'hollow neck' description.

Just for the fun of it, I just went thru 2 rolls of 1912H Pennies, and I didn't find any Gouby-x's either!

1 1912, 24 1912H no I in BRITT PDT.

What is the pointing of I in IMP in 1912H?

Just for the fun of it, I just went thru 2 rolls of 1912H Pennies, and I didn't find any Gouby-x's either!

Bob, you have 2 rolls of 1912H's? That sounds like mint rolls, but surely not? I presume that's the US expression for two of those coin tubes full of used 1912H's? Still, that's a lot of coins!

Gouby X has I of BRITT to a tooth, NOT a gap.

Gouby X has I of BRITT to a tooth, NOT a gap.

Clear I of BRITT Points Directly to Tooth.

I just did a quick check of 70 x 1912 & 1912H pennies I have and none of them are Gouby X. I appreciate this doesn't prove anything, but it might help. As an aside, I've never been convinced by the 'hollow neck' description.

I'm not suggesting that Gouby X exists in 1912

However there are two "hollow" neck shilling dies for 1911 plus the "round neck"

I don't know whether there is a third die type for 1911/2 pennies , if there is, then the difference is minimal.

But I would suggest that these slight neck hollowings (real or artifactual) are what was observed by Freeman, and that he never saw the Gouby X obverse

Edited by davidrj

Bob, you have 2 rolls of 1912H's? That sounds like mint rolls, but surely not? I presume that's the US expression for two of those coin tubes full of used 1912H's? Still, that's a lot of coins!

I wish they were mint rolls! But they are circulated rolls of 25 coins each. I bought them 40 years ago, at the same time I bought the 1926 Pennies. Most are in Fine condition, some a little better.

oh interesting, would be nice to see all the article for everything

We were talking about coin mags on another thread....This is why I still have my old CM's but the Coin News are usually binned after about 3 months. :angry:

Here's V.R.Court's survey results from Coin Monthly Sept 1972.

Interesting - a ratio of 122 : 1 at a time when it was largely unknown. I'll take that! (And I agree scott - it would be nice)

Aardhawk,

Interesting article, thanks for posting!

I've just found my Camera Microscope... if a digital microscope image would be useful for anything let me know.