British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest pennyking

Iphone

Guest pennyking

Great idea for software...

How about an app for the iphone which offers collectors British Coin Price Guide in the palm of their hand. It is sure to be a big hit?

How about an app for the iphone which offers collectors British Coin Price Guide in the palm of their hand. It is sure to be a big hit?

PK,

When you find that App, let me know... I want it for my iPhone also!

PK,

When you find that App, let me know... I want it for my iPhone also!

Interesting point. One of the problems I have is with varieties. Despite having written the two books which members know about, I still can't always remember all the identifiers and dates, and lugging two books around fairs/auctions etc. isn't very practicable. So how about an app which brings up whether a date/denomination has any varieties and if so what the identifications points are? Very discreet and user friendly, maybe.

Such an app would be brilliant on an i phone.

Save lugging books around at fairs/auctions.

I guess actually getting an i-phone and learning how to use it will be a prerequisite...?

Red,

You are right, the first thing is to get an iPhone...go ahead...jump in, and buy one. You will love it. Most of the Apps are free, or just .99, so you can load up on Apps! I have the 3G-S,(which is a G3.5), but they have just released the G4, which is a Blazer!

One of the .99 cent Apps is "Coins" which identifies many coins from Roman on down to the present, but it is not selective, so you need to go thru many coins to get to the one you want. It is nice to have, but not as helpful as the App PK is requesting.

BTW...iTunes gives you a $50.00 free iPhone card credit when you buy a new iPhone, and that buys a lot of .99 Apps!

Bob, telling Red that you have an Iphone 3G i think will go straight over his head. :lol: But this app does sound good if someone could develop it, they might make some good cash there at 99p a pop for download

Red,

You are right, the first thing is to get an iPhone...go ahead...jump in, and buy one. You will love it. Most of the Apps are free, or just .99, so you can load up on Apps! I have the 3G-S,(which is a G3.5), but they have just released the G4, which is a Blazer!

One of the .99 cent Apps is "Coins" which identifies many coins from Roman on down to the present, but it is not selective, so you need to go thru many coins to get to the one you want. It is nice to have, but not as helpful as the App PK is requesting.

BTW...iTunes gives you a $50.00 free iPhone card credit when you buy a new iPhone, and that buys a lot of .99 Apps!

I wouldn't rush to buy the G4. Apparently if you hold it in your hand, you lose the signal! (Mind you, who buys an iPhone for making phone calls anyway?)

I'm not sure why everyone gets so hyped up about phones. What's the attraction? My crappy little basic model makes calls and provides texting facilities, surely that's enough. Having said that, predictive text isn't that clever. Probably 50% of texts are questions requiring a yes or no answer. You guessed it, when I tried to reply it insisted ON was the appropriate word which suggests it was designed by someone conversant with modern illiteracy standards. I gave up and phoned - it was so much easier. :angry:

Having said that, predictive text isn't that clever.

I was meeting some friends in an establishment called 'The Cock Inn' (I know, I know...). I hadn't realised my predictive messaging was on and when I re-read the message it was directing my unsuspecting acquaintances to 'The Anal Inn'. Honestly, how does 'cock' become 'anal'? :huh:

I was meeting some friends in an establishment called 'The Cock Inn' (I know, I know...). I hadn't realised my predictive messaging was on and when I re-read the message it was directing my unsuspecting acquaintances to 'The Anal Inn'. Honestly, how does 'cock' become 'anal'? :huh:

:lol: :lol:

Having a smart phone is brilliant though as it enables the user to internet access virtually anywhere. I am planning on getting one within the next few weeks.

Having said that, predictive text isn't that clever.

LOLOLOL! While sometimes being able to refer to my (numerous) reference photos of coins would be handy I'm not so bothered that I'd currently go down the smartphone route.

However, that said, it was nice to have a phone that could pick up emails when we were away on holiday recently and received an email from daughter in South America. Now that technology I approve of!

Mmm .. OK. I'm re-thinking things! Because, seed sown, I started to think it would be pretty handy to be able to access my reference pics of coins wherever I happen to be and something like the iphone (or actually the ipod touch) could just as easily store images (.jpegs) as music. And mapping or picking up email would be icing on the cake.

So I wondered, does anyone here keep loads of pics on their ipod? (I need about 100MB storage)

Are they easy to access (I can scroll through pics on my laptop in seconds just by holding down the right arrow). Does the file name display (as it does in Windows Photo Gallery) because I'd like that? Can you zoom, does the image turn with tilting the ipod and most importantly, what is the quality of the displayed images (I want to view images from 600 x 300 pixels at 96 dpi to 1742 x 848 pixels at up to 600 dpi)?

Anyone know? Because I'm so Luddite none of my friends has one to try out!

Mmm .. OK. I'm re-thinking things! Because, seed sown, I started to think it would be pretty handy to be able to access my reference pics of coins wherever I happen to be and something like the iphone (or actually the ipod touch) could just as easily store images (.jpegs) as music. And mapping or picking up email would be icing on the cake.

So I wondered, does anyone here keep loads of pics on their ipod? (I need about 100MB storage)

Are they easy to access (I can scroll through pics on my laptop in seconds just by holding down the right arrow). Does the file name display (as it does in Windows Photo Gallery) because I'd like that? Can you zoom, does the image turn with tilting the ipod and most importantly, what is the quality of the displayed images (I want to view images from 600 x 300 pixels at 96 dpi to 1742 x 848 pixels at up to 600 dpi)?

Anyone know? Because I'm so Luddite none of my friends has one to try out!

I can't answer all of these but ...

1. You would organise your pictures in a folder (or "playlist") and could therefore scroll through them easily

2. Pictures should behave like music files so the name would be in the list view (probably in picture view too)

3. Zooming with the Touch is certainly possible using touch controls

4. I'm not a Touch owner but I'm guessing the image should turn using the magnetometer? (that's what it was designed for)

5. I'm guessing too, that pictures are like music files - they are the quality that you load. But you won't get anything like those pixel ratings! - the screen size on the Touch is pretty small, you'd have to scroll the picture to see it all, or else load thumbnails that match the screen size of the device.

Having the photos on my HTC Desire is certainly a godsend. Admittedly, I only got the phone on Monday and so am accessing them remotely, but I've bought a 14GB card and so shall get around to putting them all onto the phone.

I would recommend trying it out, I personally do not have an iPod or iPhone but it might be worth sampling various methods.

Over the next few weeks, I shall let you know how my project pans out, if I get around to it... :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :unsure:

post-5261-128243355324_thumb.jpg

5. I'm guessing too, that pictures are like music files - they are the quality that you load. But you won't get anything like those pixel ratings! - the screen size on the Touch is pretty small, you'd have to scroll the picture to see it all, or else load thumbnails that match the screen size of the device.

I was (naively perhaps) hoping that it would automatically resize the pics to fit the screen. And only when you zoom would it enlarge the overall pic to whatever size (definition) your original image happened to be.

It would be very time consuming if I had to resize every image to optimise it!

I was (naively perhaps) hoping that it would automatically resize the pics to fit the screen. And only when you zoom would it enlarge the overall pic to whatever size (definition) your original image happened to be.

It would be very time consuming if I had to resize every image to optimise it!

Not being a Touch owner, it might well do what you're asking! Why not look up your nearest Apple store and give them a ring? Tell them you want to load pictures and will they scale on a Touch to fit the screen, from whatever size you upload.

From my experience on an iMac, a non-Apple program like Photoshop will scale to fit imperfectly on my display - for example showing the picture at 25% but only filling 2/3 of the screen, while an Apple program like Preview scales it to fit the display exactly.

*sigh* Having looked into it further it appears that not only does itunes resize your images for Apple devices (not a problem) but it also chooses to rearrange them into the order in which they were taken. Which is no use to me at all. I need them in alphabetic order according to title. And apparently it won't do that.

Why is it that Apple make the most amazing hardware in the known Universe but tie it in to the most ornery, illogical and unfriendly piece of software? I loathe itunes with a vengance. It's like it was designed by the demons of Hell to torment us. And that's only on the basis of what it does to my wife's 1st gen Shuffle. That and how it totally screwed up all the music on two pcs to fit its own incomprehensible preferences.

Another 'No Sale' for Mr Jobs then. :angry:

(One of those Creative Zens looks good. Drag and drop and a reasonable screen. Though I did have this fantasy of picking up my email while sitting in Costas sipping cappuccino .. But that adds wifi capability (and maybe a 5" screen) to the 'wants' and consequently £££).

Edited by TomGoodheart

*sigh* Having looked into it further it appears that not only does itunes resize your images for Apple devices (not a problem) but it also chooses to rearrange them into the order in which they were taken. Which is no use to me at all. I need them in alphabetic order according to title. And apparently it won't do that.

Not so! When you add a playlist to your iPod, it will add it in the order it is sorted by in iTunes. So if you've sorted by title in iTunes, it will add them that way on the iPod. Not so ornery after all. (The same must work for pictures too?)

Not so! When you add a playlist to your iPod, it will add it in the order it is sorted by in iTunes. So if you've sorted by title in iTunes, it will add them that way on the iPod. Not so ornery after all. (The same must work for pictures too?)

OK, it might order them. But unfortunately the Apple Store guy told me the Touch can't/won't display the name of picture files which is something I need (when you have 500 reference pics of coins you want to know what each is!) A 'pocket computer'? Not so much.

As for ornery .. that's perhaps subjective. My daughter has just lost her entire playlist because she tried to load some Spanish lessons from a CD onto her iPod using iTunes.

Apple. You either love it or hate it.

Edited by TomGoodheart

;)

Sure. That's why they now have a 10% market share (up from around 2% some years ago). That's why they are now worth more than Microsoft. That's why they run Windows games faster than PCs do. That's why Windows imitates OS X more and more with every new release. That's why they have the largest market share of laptops of any individual manufacturer.

Sure. Everyone hates them, that's why.

:rolleyes:

;)

Sure. That's why they now have a 10% market share (up from around 2% some years ago). That's why they are now worth more than Microsoft. That's why they run Windows games faster than PCs do. That's why Windows imitates OS X more and more with every new release. That's why they have the largest market share of laptops of any individual manufacturer.

Sure. Everyone hates them, that's why.

:rolleyes:

Never said everyone hates them, just correcting the post to reflect my opinion. ;)