British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Looking at his other items I think there maybe a little too much of something as he listed.

Cock up time.

The seller did mention "my late dennis" so it's possible it was inherited and all the coins have become separated from their descriptions.

Maybe ...

• Like 1

Apparently she was trying to beat the end of month deadline on ebay and hadn't got the photos ready so will put the correct images in tomorrow.

And there was I thinking a poor confused widow left with a handful of coins and some random descriptions!

If that is MS65, someone should have an example that was too good to fit on the Sheldon scale - so they refused to slab it. ;)

Obviously wear to the hair, bun and wreath means nothing.

Edited by Rob

If that is MS65, someone should have an example that was too good to fit on the Sheldon scale - so they refused to slab it. ;)

Indeed, very noticeable wear on the reverse too!

Rob yes that example is in my collection... :mellow:

There appear to be nicks to the rim beneath the date too, and I would have thought that they should bring it down a grade or two.

Whoever sent that away to be slabbed has got to be darn well pleased.....

Indeed, very noticeable wear on the reverse too!

That's odd, I thought the "both Gs over" variety was more obvious than that one appears to be? :D

I sometimes wonder if these grades and prices are just gimmicks Its a £50 coin at best. I also wonder if there is an idiot out there who will buy that. His musing of it being finest graded is obviously the hook for numpty slab buyers

Edited by azda

I sometimes wonder if these grades and prices are just gimmicks Its a £50 coin at best. I also wonder if there is an idiot out there who will buy that. His musing of it being finest graded is obviously the hook for numpty slab buyers

I guess there's a good-sized market for coins outside of those who study and collect - for example those who can afford to buy lavish art and then spot this and can't resist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-Great-Britain-Queen-Victoria-Penny-Nice-visible-necklace-on-the-queen-/221165087813?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item337e776c45

Compare the amount of hair in the queen head to see the quality. Take a look at the scans and the beauty of this note will shine your eyes wanting you to own it, nice as good as the the day it was made. Beautiful condition.

That note coin isn't really in high enough grade for me though so I'm inclined to buy this more modestly marketed piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-UK-Great-Britain-Large-VICTORIAN-Penny-BEST-YOU-HAVE-SEEN-/321188574108?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4ac854b39c

I guess there's a good-sized market for coins outside of those who study and collect - for example those who can afford to buy lavish art and then spot this and can't resist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-Great-Britain-Queen-Victoria-Penny-Nice-visible-necklace-on-the-queen-/221165087813?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item337e776c45

Compare the amount of hair in the queen head to see the quality. Take a look at the scans and the beauty of this note will shine your eyes wanting you to own it, nice as good as the the day it was made. Beautiful condition.

That note coin isn't really in high enough grade for me though so I'm inclined to buy this more modestly marketed piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-UK-Great-Britain-Large-VICTORIAN-Penny-BEST-YOU-HAVE-SEEN-/321188574108?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item4ac854b39c

:o Bargain!!

If you do a lengthy scroll to the bottom of the page, the following information is provided for 'the medal'. If the florin has an inscribed edge as written, that is seriously naughty given there is no mention of it in the normal listing. I guess the inability to edit the original listing is just eBay's way of helping underhand behaviour. :angry:

Additional information re the medal:

Edge of the medal reads as follows: 05853 CPL A.E. HUNTER A.O.C

If you do a lengthy scroll to the bottom of the page, the following information is provided for 'the medal'. If the florin has an inscribed edge as written, that is seriously naughty given there is no mention of it in the normal listing. I guess the inability to edit the original listing is just eBay's way of helping underhand behaviour. :angry:

That will be a mistake I believe, from creating this listing from other listings. Some of his other offerings also have the same 'additional information'.

That will be a mistake I believe, from creating this listing from other listings. Some of his other offerings also have the same 'additional information'.

Ok, fair enough. I haven't the patience to trawl through ebay listings - in fact, this and the eBay laughs thread are just about the only time I bother viewing.

Ok, fair enough. I haven't the patience to trawl through ebay listings - in fact, this and the eBay laughs thread are just about the only time I bother viewing.

I think the eBay laughs thread is now this one!

Can someone please help me get my head around the description. 'The error 1895 is reversed' implies it used to be an 1895 G4 coin, or what? The year in the description box is 1826 which may be ok (can't make out the image), Certainly one in a million as you couldn't arrive at a listing like this if you tried. Was 1826 'corrected' to 1895 - who knows? I will leave this to the man who has the 1952 Elizabeth II brass 3d as the two coins will complement each other.

Would have been worth a go if it was a sixpence, but it's a shilling.

You must be mistaken. JEB on truncation is the rare one. Ebay only has rare things, ipso facto it is as described.

"I think there is an error, looks like1895 is reversed, I am not sure of the value but This could be your next treasure." Aww, bless. :D