British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Triple Post! :ph34r:

A quick search gives the same coin, EXACT same description, but for 40 quid..

Link

A but £48 incl the juice, so now only 17x the purchase price rather than over 21x. ;)

Best use of the word 'Slight' I've ever seen :lol:

:lol:

With a little smelting it might be possible to restore it by - converting to a bronze ingot, which could then be rolled, annealed, cut to make a blank and the detail repunched using the RM's dies from the museum. There is an easier way..................

• Like 1

I love this. Such optimism.

Apparently this would grade as GVF apart from.......so it's now VF, nahhhhhh sorry

1550 Edward VI Shilling. Tower, Tall Narrow Bust With Small Crown, Bust 3. Reverse; Small Oval Garnished Shield Dividing ER. TIMOR DOMINI FONS VITE M D L. mm Swan. Exceptionally Good Grade For This Usually Poor Debased Issue. Very Fine With Parts Of The Legend and Devices Showing Extremely Fine Detail, The Coin Would Grade Good Very Fine Except For A Small Area On The Kings Shoulder Where A Wafer Thin Layer Of Silver Has Come Away. Slight/Medium Undulation To The Upper Flan Due To The Strike, Reverse mm Blundered and Not Legible. A Rare Coin In This Grade, Must Be Held To Be Appreciated. Cat Value VF £850.00.

Edited by azda

And jeez, how much can you beat around a bush with a description?? There's so many slight/medium, Vf but EF, exceptionally for usually poor, due to this and would be should be's in there!

Not to mention that they've capitalised every single word in the description which is just stupid.

This was his email reply to me when I asked him about his grading

Buy the coin and take it to spink or send it to stacks Bowers and ask them to grade it, if you're not happy with the result then I will give you your money back, firstly I'm not a professional photographer! put your money where your mouth is! I have years of grading experience with this type of coin, the coin even displays some original mint lustre which is again not evident in the pictures, its funny how 99% of people who buy my coins on ebay and In person Including people like the famous Dave The Moneyer amongst other notable and professional numismatists are thoroughly satisfied with my grading, You are the only person who has ever complained and you've never bought a coin from me!

Have a look at the very best examples, even in a spink catalogue, then you may understand the quality of this coin, The coin in many regards is in an as struck condition. struck slightly weak in places. It is extraordinarily scarce in this grade. If you have a look at the other Edward VI Shilling I have up for sale on ebay, which is the usual grade for type and a good example for Issue, then it might help you understand these debased coins a little better! I will help you out, take a look at Halls Hammered Coins If you would like a lesson on grading English Hammered coins, he's an Established Dealer and expert in grading English hammered coins, I think you have a lot to learn!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Someone got rubbed the wrong way!

eBay have very precise dates for their coin categories, it seems.

zugr3m.jpg

eBay have very precise dates for their coin categories, it seems.

zugr3m.jpg

Yes, I find their catagories before milled pretty poor and should be reworked quite a bit, it's quite poor and such a large date span between milled hammered and further back

there are a lot of things ebay could do better

best one is the category tick boxes... would be a useful feature if it would let you tick multiple boxes so you can broaden the search to 2-3 areas at once

Boo, it's gone now, fun while it lasted!

Probably find that ebay couldn't cope with dogging being the caravan section as opposed to the pets category. ;)

What was it?

Boo, it's gone now, fun while it lasted!

Probably find that ebay couldn't cope with dogging being the caravan section as opposed to the pets category. ;)

...or do I not want to know.. :rolleyes:

I see Mr Platt is in coin news this month for the similar reasons he's talked about on this thread. I wonder If he'll threaten them with lawyers :D

post-5057-0-05712800-1441098807_thumb.jp

I see Mr Platt is in coin news this month for the similar reasons he's talked about on this thread. I wonder If he'll threaten them with lawyers :D

Leaving grade aside for a minute, was it genuine?

Leaving grade aside for a minute, was it genuine?

I believe so

Doesn't miss a trick, our Dave! :)

Lol, what can I say. I subscribe to coin news monthly and Mr P' auction descriptions always stick out like a sore thumb ;) I assume he was looking for double the eventual price with the GVF grading, so not all ebayers are stupid when it comes to grading

Edited by azda

:D well spotted!