British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

DrP

1684 Large silver coin ID.

Hi.  I have this large silver coin. I'm struggling to identify it as it is very worn. I'd like to try to ID it though.   At first I thought it might be an 8 Real piece or something, but can't find a match to the patterns on it.  It weighs about 23.3g and is about 42mm diameter but is quite worn.

I'm trying to photograph it with my phone but it won't let me attach as it says the file is too large.  One side has a large crown over some swirly patterns and dots and a clear date of 1684...  the other side is a floral pattern.  Any tips on getting my phone to take a picture capable of being uploaded? Thanks.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

26 minutes ago, DrP said:

Hi.  I have this large silver coin. I'm struggling to identify it as it is very worn. I'd like to try to ID it though.   At first I thought it might be an 8 Real piece or something, but can't find a match to the patterns on it.  It weighs about 23.3g and is about 42mm diameter but is quite worn.

I'm trying to photograph it with my phone but it won't let me attach as it says the file is too large.  One side has a large crown over some swirly patterns and dots and a clear date of 1684...  the other side is a floral pattern.  Any tips on getting my phone to take a picture capable of being uploaded? Thanks.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

You can only attach up to 500kb Max per post, you then have to come out of the thread and go back in to attach another similar size picture, or 2x 250kb sized pictures 

Edited by azda
Spelling

52 minutes ago, azda said:

You can only attach up to 500kb Max per post, you then have to come out of the thread and go back in to attach another similar size picture, or 2x 250kb sized pictures 

Thanks.  Not sure how to do that on my phone.   I'll try later when back home on my laptop. 

Here it is.  44mm across - its quite large.

1684.jpg

1684-2.jpg

Edited by DrP

I've just finished watching Medici on Netflix too. :D Well pleased with it....  even though it's very worn. :-) 

• Like 1

The Medici dynasty will always be associated with unlimited wealth and enormous power. The name is still majestic today.

I bought this 'coin' today. Would be worth about 500 quid ... but some **** has turned it into a spoon.

Cosimo de Medici III again. 1680 Piastra.

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

Edited by DrP
pics
  • Sad 1

nevertheless, it's a very nice spoon!

• Like 1