British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Does anyone know anything about this variety of 1863 penny which has a long tail on the 3? Is it an over strike? is it a rare variety? It's not mentioned in "The bronze coinage of Great Britain".

20190907_150342_50p.jpg

Edited by Link Samus
Added tags

It does appear to be shallower where a normal 3 would end, but I couldn't be certain as I don't own the coin and can only see pictures of it. I suppose it could be some sort of over strike but it does look quite grotty. It was on Ebay as an auction starting at 99p but they've re-listed with a £100 starting price. 

As already stated, a normal 63 with grot on the last digit.

Here for comparison: normal/the 3 with grot/the 3 with grot erased.

1863.jpg

• Like 1

It doesn't look like an open 3 to me, the tail just appears long. I guess they've just pulled that figure out of nowhere or searched "rare 1863" and priced it from there.

Michael, your edited pic does look like what i can see as a normal 3, the end does look different to the rest of it, which I believe it is very likey a bit of grot considering the condition.

The shape of the gunk that's there, just makes it appear as though it might be an extension to the three. There's all manner of other crap in the exergue which is consistent with it not being part of an unusual figure 3.

• Like 1