British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

Royal Mint 2015 12-sided one pound trial piece.

7 hours ago, Andyp108 said:

Theres a lot of disbelief on how the 2015 trial piece of the new £1 coin came to be in the posession of people who sold them on ebay, but quite incredibly I have one that I found on the street whilst taking my son to school. I didnt even know what a trial piece was until I found out about it on this website.

Not a coin collecter myself, but an i teresting find.

Found one in the street :o

9 hours ago, Andyp108 said:

Theres a lot of disbelief on how the 2015 trial piece of the new £1 coin came to be in the posession of people who sold them on ebay, but quite incredibly I have one that I found on the street whilst taking my son to school. I didnt even know what a trial piece was until I found out about it on this website.

Not a coin collecter myself, but an i teresting find.

Not sure why there's a lot of disbelief, these coins have s=to be sent out to many businesses so they can modify ANY machine that takes £1 coins in preparation of the changeover in the coming year. Who's are the disbelievers that you mention? 

"Found one in the street" word has got around fast they are worthless hasn't it!

Just another coin to chuck into the street and watch the cars run over it

The disbelief is of the ways in which people selling them on ebay claim to have come by their copy for sale, such as it appeared in their slot machine winnings etc...

10 hours ago, Andyp108 said:

The disbelief is of the ways in which people selling them on ebay claim to have come by their copy for sale, such as it appeared in their slot machine winnings etc...

But that's exactly how they do come by them, from various vending machines and slot machines, they then take them outside and perhaps drop them, then people like yourself pick them up

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andyp108 said:

Yes. I've often wondered how various bods have come across these specimens. I'd imagine they picked them up at their place of work,  where others had carelessly left them. You were lucky to find one in the street. Hang onto it as it could well prove to be very scarce.

If the goverment are so keen to give these out for free then claim  them back , why did they not do the same thing with the trial brass 3d pieces in 1937 ?

They are given to service industry professionals to calibrate coin operated machines also institutes for the blind and partially sighted to ensure they are recognisable by touch.

Once trials are completed they are to be returned, only some 'get lost' but find their way onto Ebay,

Royal Mint could nip this in the bud, list all those returned themselves for a couple of pound each, flood Ebay and make them a common coin, would take the wind out of the sails of those currently selling coins that are official stolen, even by finding

Edited by Chingford
spelling

38 minutes ago, copper123 said:

If the goverment are so keen to give these out for free then claim  them back , why did they not do the same thing with the trial brass 3d pieces in 1937 ?

They didnt have ebay then ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Not sure. My guess would be that the 1937 3d were not trial pieces but advance release of the final article. They were issued to various business probably with no strings attached.

However these £1 coins are clearly marked trial pieces and might be issued with the caveat that  they cannot be resold and remain the property of the mint?

21 minutes ago, Sword said:

Not sure. My guess would be that the 1937 3d were not trial pieces but advance release of the final article. They were issued to various business probably with no strings attached.

However these £1 coins are clearly marked trial pieces and might be issued with the caveat that  they cannot be resold and remain the property of the mint?

Well indeed, it is 'illegal' to sell them, and the RM have already told e bay they cannot sell them, and DNW had to withdraw one from a recent auction - see upthread for details.    

So the instruction "Not to be sold on ebay" should be stamped on the coins - it would be clear enough them ,LOL

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well indeed, it is 'illegal' to sell them, and the RM have already told e bay they cannot sell them, and DNW had to withdraw one from a recent auction - see upthread for details.    

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

• Like 1

Thanks. I am sure that I have seen one for sale on ebay last weekend  but it has been removed now. If I remember correctly, the bidding got to just over £30

26 minutes ago, Sword said:

Last trial released were the Bi Metallic £2 coins, they were issued to the RNIB,

6 minutes ago, Sword said:

Thanks. I am sure that I have seen one for sale on ebay last weekend  but it has been removed now. If I remember correctly, the bidding got to just over £30

There are a few on Ebay currently, and completed listing show they are selling around £120 each

16 minutes ago, Sword said:

No worries. Dave (azda) alerted us to this fact, and I then e mailed the RM about the dnw lot. They sent a rather terse reply to me indicating that selling them was not allowed. See first page where I've copied and pasted the e mail, and Dave produced the image of the dnw lot, where dnw had added "illegal to sell it". Obviously the RM had got onto them very promptly indeed, as that appeared the day after they replied to my e mail.    

3 minutes ago, Chingford said:

There are a few on Ebay currently, and completed listing show they are selling around £120 each

There were a few earlier today ....but think they have been taken off ?.

9 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Can't see them now.

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

No worries. Dave (azda) alerted us to this fact, and I then e mailed the RM about the dnw lot. They sent a rather terse reply to me indicating that selling them was not allowed. See first page where I've copied and pasted the e mail, and Dave produced the image of the dnw lot, where dnw had added "illegal to sell it". Obviously the RM had got onto them very promptly indeed, as that appeared the day after they replied to my e mail.    

I am  just a little surprised that the Royal Mint e-mail didn't quite say explicitly why the coins shouldn't be sold.

26 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

All but one sold listing remains and all those current have now been removed

Sorry to go slightly off track but why are so many people buying the £1 coins for about £15 ?.

Millions will be available soon and all will be BU ........or am i missing something :wacko:

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I am  just a little surprised that the Royal Mint e-mail didn't quite say explicitly why the coins shouldn't be sold.

Yes, a little more background would have been useful.

2 hours ago, Sword said:

Was it a Trial coin or the new issue because the new issue coin is out now in various BU packs from the Mint

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry to go slightly off track but why are so many people buying the £1 coins for about £15 ?.

Millions will be available soon and all will be BU ........or am i missing something :wacko:

Because people want something now that isn't apparently available to them right at that point in time, so when they get one they can brag to their mates etc etc etc

18 hours ago, azda said:

Was it a Trial coin or the new issue because the new issue coin is out now in various BU packs from the Mint

It was a trial coin.