Rob Posted November 24, 2018 Posted November 24, 2018 Decentius centionalis, struck at Amiens circa 351-353 3 Quote
Rob Posted November 24, 2018 Posted November 24, 2018 Archbishop Wigmund styca with the moneyer Coenred. Pirie dies 393/416 2 Quote
Paulus Posted December 2, 2018 Posted December 2, 2018 Lovely Rob, My gunmoney halfcrown example happens to be May 1690 also Quote
copper123 Posted December 4, 2018 Posted December 4, 2018 (edited) Nice coin only £20 off the bay bargain of the century after my Gs over G farthing of course Edited December 4, 2018 by copper123 4 Quote
alfnail Posted December 6, 2018 Posted December 6, 2018 Can anyone help with more information on this coin please? I do not own the coin; it is a picture I put into my reference notes many years ago when I bought a YORK Clifford's Tower + Minster 1795 Half Penny, but I don't think I have ever seen another York Minster one paired with QUEENS BAYS Cavalry...………….. so think it must be a rare piece. Not my area of expertise, but think I may now want to collect the YORK (my home town) Tokens as a bit of a side-line to Victoria Pennies, so if anyone can help improve my knowledge of those pieces that would be much appreciated. Quote
Paulus Posted December 6, 2018 Posted December 6, 2018 (edited) 16 minutes ago, alfnail said: Can anyone help with more information on this coin please? I do not own the coin; it is a picture I put into my reference notes many years ago when I bought a YORK Clifford's Tower + Minster 1795 Half Penny, but I don't think I have ever seen another York Minster one paired with QUEENS BAYS Cavalry...………….. so think it must be a rare piece. Not my area of expertise, but think I may now want to collect the YORK (my home town) Tokens as a bit of a side-line to Victoria Pennies, so if anyone can help improve my knowledge of those pieces that would be much appreciated. This is D&H Yorkshire 64, or 64a if it has a plain edge. Regarded by D&H as very rare (64a) or scarce (64) Edited December 6, 2018 by Paulus Quote
Paulus Posted December 6, 2018 Posted December 6, 2018 Recent addition, this is a Gosport (Hampshire) halfpenny Conder token 3 Quote
copper123 Posted December 6, 2018 Posted December 6, 2018 Tokens like that have a duel following as they are great pictures of sailing ships from the 18th cent , they will alays be popular the liverpool halfpenny is a great coin as well Quote
Paulus Posted December 6, 2018 Posted December 6, 2018 3 minutes ago, copper123 said: Tokens like that have a duel following as they are great pictures of sailing ships from the 18th cent , they will alays be popular the liverpool halfpenny is a great coin as well Yes I have loads with ships on, here's my Liverpool example (there are many many varieties of this one!) 2 Quote
Rob Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 P904 variety with first 7 over 1 and 3 over 7. Not the best grade-wise and weakly struck, but plenty of original colour. 2 Quote
Rob Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 Something a bit different. 1828 two pounds reverse uniface in copper. 2 Quote
alfnail Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 20 hours ago, Paulus said: This is D&H Yorkshire 64, or 64a if it has a plain edge. Regarded by D&H as very rare (64a) or scarce (64) Many thanks for this information. May I ask if numbers 63 to 67 which you have shown on this page are the only York tokens documented in this book, or are there more following on the next page? I did buy a couple of James Carlille HP tokens just the other day which I would have expected to see, these are pictured below. Thanks again, 1 Quote
mrbadexample Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 Here's the rest of the page Ian. I had my eye on those too. Quote
Paulus Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 39 minutes ago, alfnail said: Many thanks for this information. May I ask if numbers 63 to 67 which you have shown on this page are the only York tokens documented in this book, or are there more following on the next page? I did buy a couple of James Carlille HP tokens just the other day which I would have expected to see, these are pictured below. Thanks again, Boy those are nice examples! DH 63-70 inclusive is York, so 8 different designs + varieties 1 Quote
alfnail Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 That's excellent thanks Paulus, your help is much appreciated. The 3 coins I bought all seem to look even better 'in the hand'. All the best, Ian Quote
mrbadexample Posted December 7, 2018 Posted December 7, 2018 Since we are dissecting Mr Gahlin's collection, I have a question regarding token edges. The Bedale halfpenny I bought was listed as DH9. But is this not the engrailed edge, 9b? 1 Quote
alfnail Posted December 8, 2018 Posted December 8, 2018 D & H has the YORK Number 70 as 'Scarce', see bottom of first attachment. But I have found another reference by S.H. Hamer (second attachment) which says that only 200 of these were struck. Is that a printing error, because surely the rarity could not be just 'Scarce' if only that number were struck. I would have thought it would get an R rating, probably RRR. Thanks for any education offered. Quote
copper123 Posted December 8, 2018 Posted December 8, 2018 Newmismatist 100 222 posts Report post Posted 3 minutes ago D & H has the YORK Number 70 as 'Scarce', see bottom of first attachment. But I have found another reference by S.H. Hamer (second attachment) which says that only 200 of these were struck. Is that a printing error, because surely the rarity could not be just 'Scarce' if only that number were struck. I would have thought it would get an R rating, probably RRR. Thanks for any education offered. Prob a collectors edition then with that low a mintage - most are prob in higher grades I would think Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.