Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's Birmingham Cathedral IIRC?

Yes, according to Wiki "St Philip's became the cathedral of the newly formed Diocese of Birmingham in 1905"

Posted
4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Yes, according to Wiki "St Philip's became the cathedral of the newly formed Diocese of Birmingham in 1905"

It's actually very nice inside, but it's not what you'd call a cathedral exactly, not for England's second city especially when you consider Liverpool's two.

Posted
8 hours ago, DrLarry said:

could anyone help me verify Warwickshire 297 Free School old front taken down in 1794 ...dalton and Hammer list it as edge COVENTRY whereas others are listed as COVENTRY TOKEN edge is this an error in the book I have quite an old edition the reprinted 1967 edition ...I guess it is an error but would like to check 

I only have D&H as a reference, if of any use or relevance, this Birmingham Kempson token is correctly documented by D&H as having an edge inscription of "COVENTRY TOKEN"

1796_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_ashted_chapel_erected_dh_148_ref_01585_01_2400.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
23 hours ago, DrLarry said:

could anyone help me verify Warwickshire 297 Free School old front taken down in 1794 ...dalton and Hammer list it as edge COVENTRY whereas others are listed as COVENTRY TOKEN edge is this an error in the book I have quite an old edition the reprinted 1967 edition ...I guess it is an error but would like to check 

 

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

I only have D&H as a reference, if of any use or relevance, this Birmingham Kempson token is correctly documented by D&H as having an edge inscription of "COVENTRY TOKEN"

1796_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_ashted_chapel_erected_dh_148_ref_01585_01_2400.jpg

 

18 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

OK great thanks I will put up a picture of the token in a bit ...thanks for the help my DH is old 

My D&H is the 1967 reprint and gives the edge of 297 as Coventry as you would expect, but then so does 300 whilst others are plain edge. Is there any reason to suggest that D&H is wrong? Listing a different edge reading is not in itself wrong, or does your token read Coventry Token?

The one Paul has illustrated is Warwickshire 148 which is Coventry Token, but again there is a plain edge version - 148a. 

Posted
Just now, DrLarry said:

I just happened to notice in the correction that another one had been listed as Coventry and should have read "Coventry Token" so thought perhaps the same may have happened to the 297 listed without the Token 

 

Typos do happen. Peck has a couple too.

Posted

I doubt there would be corrections, as most reprints are just an exercise in making the material available for a long out of print book. What Chris did with Freeman by adding varieties was the exception, not the norm. Most reprints are making the most of a gap in the market.

Posted

The two listed in the 1990 edition are 297 with edge reading Coventry and 297a which is plain. There is no mention of any 'Coventry token' edge for 297  in the corrigenda section of the book

Posted

A little more info for you from 'The building Medalets of Kempson and Skidmore' by R. C. Bell page 36/7 ''D&H War.297'' (then gives a description of the token followed by) ''The building was originally a hospital founded at the beginning of the reign of Henry II. At the dissolution of the monasteries John Hales purchased the chapel and converted it into a free school.'' Unfortunately it gives no information on edge varieties

  • Like 1
Posted
23 hours ago, Paulus said:

The height of fashion in 1794 Norwich. The items on the obverse are a ladies' fur muff and tippet 

Fur muff...? :o

Oh I see. :lol:

There's a nice kinky boot on the reverse.

  • Haha 1
Posted
7 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Fur muff...? :o

Oh I see. :lol:

There's a nice kinky boot on the reverse.

I'm waiting for a kinky comment from @Peter, it is from East Anglia after all!

  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

My latest group of unofficial farthings collected over the past 6 weeks

IMGP4112 (2).JPG

IMGP4113 (2).JPG

Posted

I really like the design on this one and its a nice example, near unc on the reverse the obverse about ef

IMGP4116 (2).JPG

IMGP4117 (2).JPG

  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...