British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

seuk

George III Half Crown - Chinese Fakes

OK Guys. Real or fake please?

1817HC-Copy_zps0e5c6782.jpg

Thanks!

post-129-0-63417800-1404075724_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert on the defining marks of Chinese fakes, but that looks kosher to me.

OK Guys. Real or fake please?

1817HC-Copy_zps0e5c6782.jpg

Thanks!

I'd say ok too, but in truth is irrelevant - it looks horrible. Too many contact marks, particularly on the portrait. Joking aside, unless it was dirt cheap, it should be possible to find one looking a little less battered on the obverse at a reasonable price. They only book at £700 UNC in Spink, so a pleasing VF is not going to be more than £100-125. £200-300 you can find a nice one. Alternatively, spend a midge's more and you could get a 19 or 20, neither of which are flagged up in Spink as having copies.

Thanks Rob! That's very helpful. It would have been a bit below £100, so not ridiculous, but not a bargain either.

Going to take me some time to get my eye in with this sort of thing I think! Maybe I'll just stick to Charlies!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Thanks Rob! That's very helpful. It would have been a bit below £100, so not ridiculous, but not a bargain either.Going to take me some time to get my eye in with this sort of thing I think! Maybe I'll just stick to Charlies!

I'd also stick with Charles I (George III) does nothing for me. I'd be saving that money you're spending for the more expensive Charles coinage, its hard when you see nothing and feel the need too spend, Patience is a virtue Richard.

The 1775 farthing for sale on the cambridge coins website for £75 is also an obvious fake - all-beit a contemp one

Thanks Rob! That's very helpful. It would have been a bit below £100, so not ridiculous, but not a bargain either.Going to take me some time to get my eye in with this sort of thing I think! Maybe I'll just stick to Charlies!

I'd also stick with Charles I (George III) does nothing for me. I'd be saving that money you're spending for the more expensive Charles coinage, its hard when you see nothing and feel the need too spend, Patience is a virtue Richard.

It's all a matter of subjective taste. I love the coins of George III - probably my second favourite reign numismatically speaking. I think the cartwheels are the best design of the modern era, and if I could afford them, I'd have every pattern copper there is.

I agree, some of those George III designs are very appealing, and it does give denomination collectors the chance to get their hands on something out of the ordinary

It's all a matter of subjective taste. I love the coins of George III - probably my second favourite reign numismatically speaking. I think the cartwheels are the best design of the modern era, and if I could afford them, I'd have every pattern copper there is.

You are correct Peck, but was more or less referring to the recoinage coinage, so what i did was i saved a few beans and Upped the ante a little and have Proxy bidded on this one. I feel safe too say that now as it will have been through the auction already. Whether i've won it or not remains to be seen

post-5057-0-34940500-1404135737_thumb.jp

Edited by azda

You are correct Peck, but was more or less referring to the recoinage coinage, so what i did was i saved a few beans and Upped the ante a little and have Proxy bidded on this one. I feel safe too say that now as it will have been through the auction already. Whether i've won it or not remains to be seen

I do think the recoinage shillings and sixpences are my least favourite George III's.

Well my bid was €2050 its estimate was €1000 and it sold for €3000 plus 20% on a downer now

Proxy bidded on this one.

Re the C1 Crown...any thoughts on the central region of the obverse being tooled? Edited by Coinery