Smudge53 Posted August 21 Posted August 21 I have recently acquired x3 "True Cross" Terracotta Pilgrim Tokens. They are reported to have been commissioned by Emperor Heraclius to commemorate the recovery of the True Cross from the Persians in C630 AD. It has been reported that a small piece of the True Cross was cut off and burnt, and the ash mixed with the Clay. Although this could be a good selling pitch at the time?? The two figures beneath the Cross are supposed to be Constantine and his Mother Helena. Other reports state they are Peter & Paul? The backs are plain. One is 18mm Dia. The other two are 15mm. The two smaller pieces both have an X over both arms of the Cross. All in VGC 1 Quote
Paddy Posted August 21 Posted August 21 Very interesting items! Not something I would collect, but definitely intriguing. I suspect when they were made unscrupulous dealers were rooking credulous pilgrims. Nothing has really changed! 1 Quote
Smudge53 Posted August 21 Author Posted August 21 Dead right Paddy. Anything for a quick buck. 2 Quote
copper123 Posted August 21 Posted August 21 It was often said if you took all the pieces of the true cross from around the med and you could build a boat out of them 2 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted August 21 Posted August 21 Crucifixions weren't done on a cross but on something that resembled a capital T ! Quote
copper123 Posted August 22 Posted August 22 20 hours ago, Peckris 2 said: Crucifixions weren't done on a cross but on something that resembled a capital T ! And that would make me really cross , all that history down the drain Makes you want to not claim to be sparticus Quote
Peckris 2 Posted August 23 Posted August 23 On 8/22/2026 at 6:46 PM, copper123 said: And that would make me really cross , all that history down the drain Makes you want to not claim to be sparticus But ... but ... I AM Spartacus!! Quote
Paddy Posted August 24 Posted August 24 (edited) Ah, but I asked AI and it confirmed I am Spartacus! So it must be true! Edited August 24 by Paddy 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.