British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Johnshan

1698 Half penny

Looking for type 1 William III 1698 Halfpenny date in Exergue

Good luck. They were only struck for three months.

Hi Rob. Yes Ive seen a couple for sale but it seem that im always too late and the coins been sold.☹️ But thanks for wishing me luck.

Much rarer than the legend type , I had one a few years ago and sold it in 2014 good luck about two or three a year appear on ebay , same with the farthings , still looking for a nice one

The best ones I've noticed are 

(1) Nicholson (Colin Cooke 2004); Pywell-Philips, Spink 2018; GVF

and

(2) G. Bates, DNW, 2018, similar grade, some lustre.

I should add that finding a 1698 DIL halfpenny in any condition above Fine is probably impossible. Peck's plate coin (BM) is almost certainly the best by far.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:41 AM, oldcopper said:

I should add that finding a 1698 DIL halfpenny in any condition above Fine is probably impossible. Peck's plate coin (BM) is almost certainly the best by far.

Thanks for your info. I know that I’m on a mission impossible to find one anything decent, Fine would be Fine or even great, but I continue to look / hunt. Who knows in the end I just might find one. I keep hoping, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Cheers

On 10/9/2023 at 7:45 PM, copper123 said:

Much rarer than the legend type , I had one a few years ago and sold it in 2014 good luck about two or three a year appear on ebay , same with the farthings , still looking for a nice one

I hope that we`re not bidding against each other!! 😉

F d Farthing 1698 b Type 1 cat 3557 p 663 ER.JPG

This is the farthing just need the halfpenny to keep it company !!

• Like 1

Halfpenny is rarer but farthing more popular therefore easier to sell

On 10/10/2023 at 11:41 AM, oldcopper said:

I would concur. Before I abandoned collecting halfpennies in 2008/9, the only thing I found worthy of keeping was the attached, and fine it ain't.

02339.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 2:40 PM, Johnshan said:

This is the farthing just need the halfpenny to keep it company !!

Thanks for your like 😀  Your 1698 halfpenny  looks rather screwed up, I understand why you chose to keep it  Original

On 10/12/2023 at 12:08 AM, Rob said:

I would concur. Before I abandoned collecting halfpennies in 2008/9, the only thing I found worthy of keeping was the attached, and fine it ain't.

02339.jpg

I have a much much nicer coin , will try to put pics on soon , nice double struck blank by the way

whoops looks like i must have sold both my coins sum tome ago sorry

Oh no......looks like Im too late again. Hope you keep me in mind though, 🤞

As Rob suggests these are difficult to find having been struck for three months only.

I have two, but they were bought several years apart and it's some time since I last saw one for sale anywhere. Note mine were struck from different reverse dies.

1698a-01 copy.jpg

1698a-02 copy.jpg

1698b-01 copy.jpg

1698b-02 copy.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 3

Nice finds!

18 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Nice finds!

Thanks Chris, yes indeed, though sought rather than found. 😉

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this